Using Manhattan LR after the PS Bible LR

hallbd16

Using Manhattan LR after the PS Bible LR

Postby hallbd16 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:04 am

So I have gone through 80% of LRB and just got the MLSAT LR in the mail. I am taking the test in December and my scores are around -8 combined LR score right now. My scores of -8 suggest that it is not any one area yet... no consistent read.

This question goes out to people who did LRB first and used the MLR as complimentary material. How did you use it as complimentary material?

My thoughts are to:
1.) Finish reading the LRB over the next two weeks (still have to read then drill question types to the following: Paradox, Method of Reasoning, Eval. the Arg, Point at Issue, and PRinciple questions).
2.) That leaves me with about 5 weeks before the Dec test. With that time I will PT pretty heavy and spend the first two weeks going through MLR and redoing all problems that I missed the first round of drilling by question type.

Thoughts? How did/would you do it differently. (For example I could read both LGB and MLR on the remaining question types before I drill the question type. I also could start going back to earlier question types-flaw, assumption, etc- at the same time that I am doing the remaining question types in LRB).

As a heads up, I am simultaneously finishing up LGB (hybird games), practicing LR via Manhattan, and taking x1 PT a week. Should have enough time to do all three with 30-35 hours to study a week.

tapas12

Re: Using Manhattan LR after the PS Bible LR

Postby tapas12 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

Hey,

While I'm not the person you're looking for to answer this question (I didn't use the LRB and only MLSAT LR), I'm scoring the same score range as you (-8 on LR) but I've done a ton of Prep Tests by now to know where my weaknesses are, and since you've done a ton of questions, there should be a focus by now that may be just lurking somewhere. If you haven't tried yet, MLSAT offers for free (if you just get an online account, and I'm not affiliated with them at all) an Exam Tracker for PT 50s-63, and after you enter all your answer choices they'll tell you what your top weaknesses are. Sometimes it's tough to figure it out yourself after your brain is toast going through all the questions, so the tracker might be helpful for you to narrow down on your weaknesses. The tracker will also help you study your PTs more efficiently as you go through them in the next few weeks.

A lot of forums I read also focus more on practicing with a lot of questions after reading strategy guides, and when you figure out your weaknesses, Cambridge LSAT offers PT#1-38 questions sorted by category so you can further focus on your weaknesses from there on.
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/

I look forward to what others think about using the books as complimentary materials, however; I plan to take October LSAT this weekend but plan to take it again in December so hopefully that will provide me with some advice as well.

Good luck!

hallbd16

Re: Using Manhattan LR after the PS Bible LR

Postby hallbd16 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

tapas12 wrote:Hey,

While I'm not the person you're looking for to answer this question (I didn't use the LRB and only MLSAT LR), I'm scoring the same score range as you (-8 on LR) but I've done a ton of Prep Tests by now to know where my weaknesses are, and since you've done a ton of questions, there should be a focus by now that may be just lurking somewhere. If you haven't tried yet, MLSAT offers for free (if you just get an online account, and I'm not affiliated with them at all) an Exam Tracker for PT 50s-63, and after you enter all your answer choices they'll tell you what your top weaknesses are. Sometimes it's tough to figure it out yourself after your brain is toast going through all the questions, so the tracker might be helpful for you to narrow down on your weaknesses. The tracker will also help you study your PTs more efficiently as you go through them in the next few weeks.
Good luck!

Thanks for the cambridge info, I am prepping using the master LR list that is stickied (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108425) and going through the PTs 10-39 that way... same difference but takes a little more organization on my end. Had no choice though, I could get my hands on all PTs from China, but not the Cambridge set.

To clarify, I have already drilled all flaw questions between 10-39 (saving 40+ for full timed PT or section drilling) and recorded the time it took me as well as whether I got the question right. I will probably go through and re-do all the problems from this set immediately after reviewing a question type from the MLR. This means I will complete my current drilling using the LRB then after that is done I will loop back through using additional strategies from the MLR. Hope this makes sense...

As far as data trackers go, I am currently inputting my own data using 3 Links spreadsheet, which has been a good start for breaking down my mistakes. I have to input manually which question types I am missing, but it is easily done and nicely tracked for each section type (LG, LR, RC). I will have to try out the Manhattan one and see if it offers any more critical info.

My misses are scattered across the board for the most part, my biggest percents are flaw at 15% then parallel reasoning (not parallel flaw) at 11%. So that probably tells me that I need to really focus on those two areas heavily as I go through MLR. My two issues though are the high variability in the data as well as the relatively small sample size, 5 PTs worth of data.

Not sure what the experts say, but -8 total LR is a decent spot, but indicates some pretty big holes still exist in our understanding of LR and that we need to shore it up. I think one weakness is still that I do not always get the argument/reasoning structure of each stimulus. That is the deeper level context that I am trying to work on studying right now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”