LSAT vocabulary words.

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby facile princeps » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 am

quinnmittens wrote:Dude, I got so wrapped up in this debate that I didn't even trip on me typing "h" before "as." No excuse, I shall go down in shame.

And I never said my reading skills and writing skills are weak. This is why this shit got out of hand. People jumping to conclusions and shit trying to tell somebody they are dumb cause they don't know a 8th grade word. Now all of a sudden I can't read or I have poor writing skills. Child please.

I wasn't indicating that your reading/writing skills are poor. Rather, i think doing well on the LSAT (and subsequently in law school) requires being better than the average college grad. When i started practicing for the LSAT, the reading comprehension section would always get me because i wasn't 'up to par' with the level i presumed was necessary to do well, even though i thought i was above average. I started out having to read the passages twice. I had to practice reading faster and understanding the passages with just one quick read through.

I mentioned writing because the two skills often go hand in hand, and also because you used has for as twice in the same sentence. Within context, the latter assumption was petty, and i apologize for that. I still think you owe it to yourself to improve on your vocabulary, and if you haven't already surpassed the average college level reading, you should aspire to. I think it's expected of prospective lawyers to excel in that area.

RickyDnwhyc
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:41 am

As others have mentioned in this thread, use context clues. Another thing, study up on etymology. I learned both these things in middle school. These two things help tremendously. Once you learn to break down words and consider the context, you will rarely come across a word you don't at least have a decent shot of figuring out.

Was "hastened" the only word you came across that you didn't know? Can you write out the sentence it was used in? Was there a useful context on which to presume the definition?

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby blurbz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:58 am

Clearly a troll; stop feeding.

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 am

blurbz wrote:Clearly a troll; stop feeding.


+1

crate2012
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:12 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby crate2012 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am

Can't believe people are arguing lower standards. The test requires culture capital like any other test. Extended thinking is what separates people. You can guess the word.

quinnmittens
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby quinnmittens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Wormfather wrote:Sorry bro, I've got to do it to you...

quinnmittens wrote:
Wow, ya'll trying to play me with the statistics. It's a 8th grade level word, so you are implying I should be embarrassed. I am not ashamed of not being familiar with a word just because some statistics said I should. I grew up in the streets and went to a under-funded public school and then went onto college, which was public by the way. So excuse me for not knowing a 8th grade level word...The LSAT needs to reconginze this and not assume people know words even if it is seems to be rudimentary for a person with a degree.


quinnmittens wrote:So I have been studying for awhile for the lsat. My diagnostic score was a 139 and the highest score that I have received when taking practice test was a 157. I generally score between 152-155. I want to receive at lest a 160, but this test is starting to consume my life and I have no social life now.

I believe I have strong softs (congressional internships, interned in D.C., worked with politicians and mayors, interned for a law firm, graduated with an above 3.5 GPA, Top 20% in my graduating class at a Top Ten public university, involved in student government and other clubs, athlete, volunteered for Obama's presidential campaign, community service and a couple of other things).


So was your university a good one or a bad one? You changed tones in those arguments (LS students who've trained for the LSAT pick up on those things).

Either you're a troll or...

You have your priorities out of whack and you're either lying about graduating top 20% from a top ten public university or you majored in technical basket weaving on a scholarship in sport.

This test is about separating you from me. I'm not gonna score 180 on this test by any means but I have a wide vocabulary which will help me in law school, you do not, the schools need to know that.


Yes I did graduate from a Top 10 public school in the top 20%. I am not lying nor trolling. That sport comment you made is a shot as well, unnecessary and ignorant. I happened to come across a word that I was unfamiliar with. I got frustrated, looked up the meaning of the word, and moved on. I don't see the big deal. People on here decided to take it upon themselves and throw shots at me for not having to know a word and therefore deduce that I am idiot or liar (as what you just did). That is what pissed me off. I can no longer continue to engage in this thread, but every time I check it there is somebody on here acting crazy.
Last edited by quinnmittens on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quinnmittens
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby quinnmittens » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:13 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:As others have mentioned in this thread, use context clues. Another thing, study up on etymology. I learned both these things in middle school. These two things help tremendously. Once you learn to break down words and consider the context, you will rarely come across a word you don't at least have a decent shot of figuring out.

Was "hastened" the only word you came across that you didn't know? Can you write out the sentence it was used in? Was there a useful context on which to presume the definition?


There was at most maybe two others and that is it. I know how to utilize context clues while reading to help discern the dentition of a word. Hastened was in an answer choice to the question. There wasn't really any context clues in my opinion. If someone knew off hand what the word meant they would get the answer choice correctly because the phrasing of the sentence of the stimulus indicates it would have been more advanced, meaning if the information was available sooner.

I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH THIS THREAD. Nothing but pretentious people on here acting like they are better then the next guy when they know they've got problems.

User avatar
heebie-jeebies
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby heebie-jeebies » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Davidbentley wrote:
heebie-jeebies wrote:I'm with quinnmittens. The appearance of unusual words that nobody is likely know is pandamount to discrimination, and it's just unfair. 30 years ago, people probably argued vehemenly against charges that standardized tests discriminated against minorities, but subsequently the LSAC and others came around to understand that there was a legitimite bases for these charges. So, here we are.... big words that probably confuse a lot of people and a bunch of elitists trying to maintain their priviledge in the status quo.

177


I don't know what this means. Do I smell like sausage?

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:46 pm

It's probably to get more chicks in law school since they're good at vocab n shit

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby stillwater » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Someone earlier complained about arguing and no advice, so here's my advice: LEARN TO READ.

User avatar
relevantfactor
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby relevantfactor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:33 pm

quinnmittens wrote:. I cam across the word "hastened in an answer choice. "I thought to myself, what does that even mean? And where the hell is Webster?"I mean "Hastened?" a


As soon as I read this sentence, I stopped reading, and realized that I would be posting in a troll's thread. Well played, old sport. Well played.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 pm

But then you posted in the troll's thread??

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Advice is here! I feel the three worst posters in this thread need the following advice:

Quinnmittens - Learn words. Words are how people talk to each other. Lawyers talk to a lot of people every day. That is why it is important to know what other people are talking about when they use their big words.

Paradoxpredator - Quit posting rap lyrics at the end of your posts. It doesn't make you seem cool, if that was your intended effect.

Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.

User avatar
relevantfactor
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby relevantfactor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:But then you posted in the troll's thread??

Troll= One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

Thread= In online discussions, a series of messages that have been posted as replies to each other. A single forum or conference typically contains many threads covering different subjects. By reading each message in a thread, one after the other, you can see how the discussion has evolved. You can start a new thread by posting a message that is not a reply to an earlier message.

User avatar
heebie-jeebies
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby heebie-jeebies » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:04 pm

deputydog wrote:Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.


Are you sure about that? If it is not a word, then what is it?

I don't know what this card is that you think I'm playing with, but the fact of the matter is that a bias exists. The test discriminates against people with small vocabularies. Anyway, it shouldn't be about the size of one's vocabulary, but how one uses it.

User avatar
relevantfactor
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby relevantfactor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:06 pm

heebie-jeebies wrote:
deputydog wrote:Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.


Are you sure about that? If it is not a word, then what is it?

I don't know what this card is that you think I'm playing with, but the fact of the matter is that a bias exists. The test discriminates against people with small vocabularies. Anyway, it shouldn't be about the size of one's vocabulary, but how one uses it.


Maybe you meant tantamount? They sound similar...

Also, here's an idea, since this is a test afterall, how about study the vocab?

RickyDnwhyc
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:09 pm

deputydog wrote:Advice is here! I feel the three worst posters in this thread need the following advice:

Quinnmittens - Learn words. Words are how people talk to each other. Lawyers talk to a lot of people every day. That is why it is important to know what other people are talking about when they use their big words.

Paradoxpredator - Quit posting rap lyrics at the end of your posts. It doesn't make you seem cool, if that was your intended effect.

Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.


Image

User avatar
relevantfactor
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby relevantfactor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:10 pm

lmao I was thinking just that ^

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 pm

heebie-jeebies wrote:
deputydog wrote:Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.


Are you sure about that? If it is not a word, then what is it?

I don't know what this card is that you think I'm playing with, but the fact of the matter is that a bias exists. The test discriminates against people with small vocabularies. Anyway, it shouldn't be about the size of one's vocabulary, but how one uses it.


1) Pandamount isn't a word.

2) The test should be 'biased' against people with small vocabularies. It is a test designed to differentiate applicants. Strength of vocabulary is, and should be, a differentiating factor.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby bobbypin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
quinnmittens wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I don't think I ever encountered a vocab word I didn't know on an LSAT. I like to think I have a large-ish vocabulary, but it's probably only average among law students (engineering major who took exactly one literature class ever, and it was Shakespeare, in high school).

YMMV


By you saying "your milage may very" highlights my point. You may have an extensive vocabulary, but is it fair to someone who's vocabulary isn't has great has yours to be penalized for it? There are a lot of people who come from backgrounds where they are not exposed to such "words" in every day use. So why should they be punished for it? I'm just saying even it out a bit. That's all. I think it would be very magnanimous of the LSAT to do so.


Learned Hand, District Judge wrote:Opinion
If Rose Tostevin, the wife, had been a surety for the loan, it is settled that the payment would have been a preference under section 60b. Swartz v. Siegel, 117 Fed. 13, 54 C.C.A. 399; Re Lyon, 121 Fed. 723, 58 C.C.A. 143. Before insolvency the surety, by payment of the debt, gets through subrogation the status of a transferee, and that status protects him from loss. After insolvency, while he is, of course, still subrogated, his subrogation will not protect him. He must pay without recourse, and he loses to the extent of the insolvency. A payment to the creditor discharges him, therefore, precisely as though made directly to him. Hence it was inevitable that such a payment should be held a preference, whether made to the innocent creditor or to the surety; the effect was identical, whichever course was chosen.

If we now substitute a pledger of property upon the debt of another in the place of a surety, precisely the same situation arises. The pledgor will be entitled to exoneration against the principal. Robinson v. Gee, 1 Vesey, Sr., 251. If the pledge be sold, he is entitled through subrogation to the status of the principal, and upon insolvency he is certain to suffer a loss, measured by the extent of the insolvency. To the extent of the pledge he is the creditor, as much as though he had already discharged his property and taken an assignment of the claim. A payment to the creditor discharging the pledge is therefore a payment upon a claim upon which the pledgor cannot collect; his loss is equally relieved whether it is made to the pledgee or to him. The analogy is therefore perfect, and the same principle should apply to each case. It has in general been held that such a pledgor has all the rights of a surety. Dibble v. Richardson, 171 N.Y. 131, 63 N.E. 829; Bank of Albion v. Burns, 46 N.Y. 170; Price v. Dime Savings Bank, 124 Ill. 317, 15 N.E. 754, 7 Am.St.Rep. 367; *104 Rowan v. Sharps' Rifle Mfg. Co., 33 Conn. 1, 21-24. If so, he must be subject to his disabilities.

The defendant's point is good, so far as it goes, that the delivery was a bailment; but it does not touch the important features of the situation. It was a bailment, but something more; it gave the bankrupt the right to subject the property to the hazards of his own credit which a bailment does not do. When those hazards turned against the pledgor by the bankrupt's insolvency, she became subject to the limitations of all those who had assumed the chance; i.e., that what remained of his property should be subject to a trust for equal distribution. It made no difference in that aspect that the hazard was of the bankrupt's ability to redeem the pledge rather than to redeem any other of his promises. Only in case he succeeded in performing that promise could the parties resume the relation of simple bailor or bailee. This suit attacks, not the redelivery of the property bailed, which, taken alone, would have been innocent, but the necessary payment out of the bankrupt's own estate, which was a condition upon his power to redeliver. He had no right to prefer any one of all those who had parted with their property upon the equal chance that his projects might miscarry and his performances fail.
Decree reversed, and cause remanded for trial.
That's why.

If you can't read seriously dense shit, you are fucked in law school. There are cases from the 1700s written in bizarre-o English. There are big words and absurd phrasing. Cases from the last, say, 30 years are better, but it's still all dense legalese.



The difference between LSAT and law school is that you aren't expected to read passages like the above in 1 minute and 20 seconds.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:18 pm

bobbypin wrote:
The difference between LSAT and law school is that you aren't expected to read passages like the above in 1 minute and 20 seconds.


I don't see your point.

User avatar
heebie-jeebies
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby heebie-jeebies » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:57 pm

deputydog wrote:
heebie-jeebies wrote:
deputydog wrote:Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.


Are you sure about that? If it is not a word, then what is it?

I don't know what this card is that you think I'm playing with, but the fact of the matter is that a bias exists. The test discriminates against people with small vocabularies. Anyway, it shouldn't be about the size of one's vocabulary, but how one uses it.


1) Pandamount isn't a word.

2) The test should be 'biased' against people with small vocabularies. It is a test designed to differentiate applicants. Strength of vocabulary is, and should be, a differentiating factor.


So what you're saying is, I don't have a chance.

User avatar
relevantfactor
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby relevantfactor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:30 pm

^no dude, she or he is just saying that you may be impacted by some questions due to the nature of the wording, and what not. You can still have a "chance" of doing well.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby stillwater » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Prepare to get your dreams dashed, kid.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby Ludo! » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Holy shit this thread delivered.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bearedman8 and 7 guests