LSAT vocabulary words.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby bobbypin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm

deputydog wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
The difference between LSAT and law school is that you aren't expected to read passages like the above in 1 minute and 20 seconds.


I don't see your point.


When the writing is complex in law school, you can pull out your dictionary or take a moment to re-read.
It doesn't matter on the LSAT, because you only have about 1m:20sec to read and answer.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby stillwater » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 pm

bobbypin wrote:
deputydog wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
The difference between LSAT and law school is that you aren't expected to read passages like the above in 1 minute and 20 seconds.


I don't see your point.


When the writing is complex in law school, you can pull out your dictionary or take a moment to re-read.
It doesn't matter on the LSAT, because you only have about 1m:20sec to read and answer.


I think a lack of vocabulary is indicative of something larger. Reading is a habit, as is writing, and is hard to remedy once you reach law school. Sure, you can pull a dictionary off the shelf (or find one online) and everyone does this. But the LSAT shouldn't be a vocabulary test for anyone planning to go into this field.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 pm

stillwater wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
deputydog wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
The difference between LSAT and law school is that you aren't expected to read passages like the above in 1 minute and 20 seconds.


I don't see your point.


When the writing is complex in law school, you can pull out your dictionary or take a moment to re-read.
It doesn't matter on the LSAT, because you only have about 1m:20sec to read and answer.


I think a lack of vocabulary is indicative of something larger. Reading is a habit, as is writing, and is hard to remedy once you reach law school. Sure, you can pull a dictionary off the shelf (or find one online) and everyone does this. But the LSAT shouldn't be a vocabulary test for anyone planning to go into this field.


Also you should spend longer than 1:20 reading the passage.

paradoxpredator
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby paradoxpredator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Wow I was on here last night, and it is till going down. Good grief.










"Pass them rocks like Stockton"

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm

paradoxpredator wrote:"Pass them rocks like Stockton"


I don't get this. Is this supposed to be a game? Guess which objectively shitty rapper I'm listening to, or something?

User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby KremeCheez » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

deputydog wrote:
paradoxpredator wrote:"Pass them rocks like Stockton"


I don't get this. Is this supposed to be a game? Guess which objectively shitty rapper I'm listening to, or something?


StocktontoMalone.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 pm

quinnmittens wrote:I mean "Hastened?" at first glance, it sounds like it means to hinder or to put something to a halt. But in actuality, it means to make something happen sooner or more quickly. A person would have not gotten the answer right if they did not know the definition of the word in a answer choice.


How did you get this? I'm sure you know what haste means right? I mean shit, have you ever played any video game (especially Final Fantasy)? Spells called "haste"... increase attack speed and whatnot.

Then what do you think haste-ned does?!

I don't see how it sounds like "to hinder".

heebie-jeebies wrote:
deputydog wrote:Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.


Are you sure about that? If it is not a word, then what is it?


Your argument (that pandamount is a word despite it not appearing in a dictionary) rests upon the assumption that any collection of letters without spaces between them must be a word.

Necessary assumptions baby, oh yeah!
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Haste makes waste could mean that waste hinders performance, because it does

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm

heebie-jeebies wrote:I'm with quinnmittens. The appearance of unusual words that nobody is likely know is tantamount to discrimination, and it's just unfair. 30 years ago, people probably argued vehemently against charges that standardized tests discriminated against minorities, but subsequently the LSAC and others came around to understand that there was a legitimate basis for these charges. So, here we are.... big words that probably confuse a lot of people and a bunch of elitists trying to maintain their privilege in the status quo.


I spell-checked for you (bolded words). "Privilege in their status quo" makes no sense but I digress.

None of your words were big bro. If you think that little blurb you wrote used "unusual words that nobody is likely to know", you're gonna have a hard time in law school. Have you taken the SAT? SAT vocab is much harder than LSAT "vocab".

laxbrah420 wrote:Haste makes waste could mean that waste hinders performance, because it does


Your mental acrobatic capabilities far surpass mine. I guess OP is just more creative than I am.

User avatar
relevantfactor
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby relevantfactor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 pm

^
I'm with quinnmittens. The appearance of unusual words that nobody is likely know is tantamount to discrimination

I beat you to it. :YES:
--ImageRemoved--
Also, yeah the note about Final Fantasy, now I can show everyone that my huge amounts of hours finishing games for no specific meaning or purpose other than joy, do in fact resonate in findings of specific increase in one's score, specifically, mine.

User avatar
heebie-jeebies
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby heebie-jeebies » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
heebie-jeebies wrote:I'm with quinnmittens. The appearance of unusual words that nobody is likely know is tantamount to discrimination, and it's just unfair. 30 years ago, people probably argued vehemently against charges that standardized tests discriminated against minorities, but subsequently the LSAC and others came around to understand that there was a legitimate basis for these charges. So, here we are.... big words that probably confuse a lot of people and a bunch of elitists trying to maintain their privilege in the status quo.


I spell-checked for you (bolded words). "Privilege in their status quo" makes no sense but I digress.

None of your words were big bro. If you think that little blurb you wrote used "unusual words that nobody is likely to know", you're gonna have a hard time in law school. Have you taken the SAT? SAT vocab is much harder than LSAT "vocab".



This is very helpful. I appreciate the effort you put into this, even though I also feel somewhat ashamed. As you point out, none of the words I used were big. And, well, that's kind of my problem. I have a small vocabulary; and it's also clear that I do not know how to spell some of the bigger words that I do know. I will study the corrections you've been kind enough to make here, and hopefully I can learn from them.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 am

quinnmittens wrote:My two cents.

paradoxpredator wrote:Wow I was on here last night, and it is till going down. Good grief.

Banned for being the same person. Thread lock.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #gobroncos, Alexandros, dg1090, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, nahmjun, potatocowpower, Tazewell and 23 guests