Getting Railed by the First Game

ncc5

Getting Railed by the First Game

Postby ncc5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:15 pm

So every time that I take one of the more recent PT's, my mistakes on LG is on the first game. Without fail I miss one on the first game. When I go back and do the game again without the answers in front of me, I generally get it correct. The odd thing is that it almost never happens when I am only doing a single time LG section

Has anyone else had this problem/how did you fix it? I'm assuming its because in the context of the PT I get out the LG mindset which takes a few questions to warm back up, but I'm interested in your responses.

Cerebro

Re: Getting Railed by the First Game

Postby Cerebro » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:20 pm

ncc5 wrote:So every time that I take one of the more recent PT's, my mistakes on LG is on the first game. Without fail I miss one on the first game. When I go back and do the game again without the answers in front of me, I generally get it correct. The odd thing is that it almost never happens when I am only doing a single time LG section

Has anyone else had this problem/how did you fix it? I'm assuming its because in the context of the PT I get out the LG mindset which takes a few questions to warm back up, but I'm interested in your responses.

Have you tried skipping the first game and doing the second one instead? You can come back and do the first game at the end, if you still have time.

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:10 am

I have, but then that second game is the one that gets me. I may try to start the first (do the first 2 that only really test on rule application) and then move on to the second. That way I get a good primer but don't stumble around wasting time and getting answers wrong.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:19 am

ncc5 wrote:I have, but then that second game is the one that gets me. I may try to start the first (do the first 2 that only really test on rule application) and then move on to the second. That way I get a good primer but don't stumble around wasting time and getting answers wrong.

Ah, I think I understand what you're getting at. Since context switching is apparently a stumbling block for you, have you tried making drills that help you overcome this weakness? I would try the following:

Print out (or make photocopies) of:

10 LR questions (x5)
1 RC passage + accompanying questions (x5)
10 Logic Games + accompanying questions

Then, assemble into "sections" and drill as follows, giving yourself 35 minutes, as you would on a regular section:

1. 10 LR questions
2. 1 logic game
3. 1 RC passage
4. 1 logic game

Repeat 5 times

After doing this, then move on to whole sections:

1. 1 RC section
2. 1 LG section
3. 1 LR section
4. 1 LG section

Repeat

I find that drilling my weaknesses helps me turn them into strengths. Maybe the above approach will work for you in your situation.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am

It sounds like you just need a warmup. Don't panic, its not a serious problem. Just be sure to do a warmup before you test on Saturday and you will be fine.

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks, I will try both

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”