Taking the week off before the test- Helpful or Hurtful?

sarahjane10

Taking the week off before the test- Helpful or Hurtful?

Postby sarahjane10 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:45 am

So I've been studying for a few months now and scoring consistently between 168/169 and low 170s. I took two PTS this past weekend- got one of my highest scores on the first one but ended up scoring 2 points lower on the second mostly because I was tired and forced myself to take it and I wasn't really into it. My original plan for this week was to take a PT today, one tomorrow, and then reviewing/drilling on Thursday b/c my biggest problem has been timing on RC. Then I could leave Friday free to just relax. However, I had to force myself to sit down and study last night and didn't get much accomplished because I couldn't really focus. Now I'm wondering if after my PT today if I should just pack it in and take the rest of the week off so I'll be rested and fresh to focus on Saturday. Or, if that plan might make me lose some of my steam I've gained and I should just suck it up and plow through with my original plan for this week. Any advice or tips from experience is greatly appreciated.

tino1317

Re: Taking the week off before the test- Helpful or Hurtful?

Postby tino1317 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:59 am

I think it's different for everyone. If I took a week off I feel like my score would go down. I do plan on taking the day before off. If anything I would study the fundamentals to make sure those are fresh in your head.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:17 pm

I actually plan on the very opposite. The week before the LSAT I took off from work so that I can study intensely. I even plan on skipping Thanksgiving dinner to be by myself and study.

Cinderella

Postby Cinderella » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm

I wouldn't take an entire week of, but a day or two leading up to it I would give my brain a rest. I got my mind off the LSAT the day before and I think it helped.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 pm

A full week off might make you a bit rusty for game day. I took a half day off 2 days before and a full day off for the day before the test. On game day, I did a handful of gimme problems to warm up before the test.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:04 pm

A full week off is bad. You don't want to do something that you aren't accustomed to doing. However, taking PTs back to back has always been something I've been against. You need at least 1 day off after a PT. Some light drilling should be done in the day between, but nothing where you do 3+ timed sections straight. Maybe do 1 timed section, review it, break for a bit, do some LG games for fun, and then in 1-2 hrs pick it up again (assuming the timed sections are LR/RC).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”