People who got 175+'s, help pls!

PeanutsNJam

People who got 175+'s, help pls!

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:10 pm

So I'm taking the test this Saturday and I've got all kinds of test day jitters already.

I've been PTing 172-178 these past few weeks, although this past weekend I blanked and played video games and goofed off and just didn't study. Now it's Monday and reality is hitting me like a 10 ton brick.

I really, really want a 180. But it's just these damn questions I get wrong, you know, 3 or 4 on LR, maybe 1 on LG, and 3 or 4 on CR. There's no pattern. Sometimes I get parallel reasoning wrong; sometimes I ace all the parallel reasoning questions no problem. Is it possible still for me to get a 180 on the test? The one time I PT'd a 178 it was luck and the test was curved so even a -6 was a 178.

Granted, I get main idea questions wrong alot on CR. Help on those would be great, thanks. That seems to be the most consistent factor in my mistakes.

I don't know if any of you guys play any sports (I saw one guy talkin about basketball) but it's so frustrating it's like shooting and just bricking and you get madder and you shoot more and your form deteriorates and you get angrier and you shoot even more and... etc.

Those of you PTing 180... I envy you. I envy you so much. So much that I will steal your brain and transplant it into my head...

boblawlob

Re: People who got 175+'s, help pls!

Postby boblawlob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm not scoring anywhere close to 180 and RC is not my strongest section.

However, you are asking about main idea questions on RC?

Well, the best answer should incorporate 2 things: structure of the argument and author's opinion.

Hope that helps?

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:48 pm

edit
Last edited by lawschool2014hopeful on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Yeah I went up to 36 and then skipped to 57. My 57+ have been 172's and 173's. I really want 175+

About the author's opinion thing: how much weight should I put on that? As in, if the author is critical of something (but the criticism only comprises of 1/2 of the passage), would the "main idea" sound critical too?

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:57 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:So I'm taking the test this Saturday and I've got all kinds of test day jitters already.

I've been PTing 172-178 these past few weeks, although this past weekend I blanked and played video games and goofed off and just didn't study. Now it's Monday and reality is hitting me like a 10 ton brick.

I really, really want a 180. But it's just these damn questions I get wrong, you know, 3 or 4 on LR, maybe 1 on LG, and 3 or 4 on CR. There's no pattern. Sometimes I get parallel reasoning wrong; sometimes I ace all the parallel reasoning questions no problem. Is it possible still for me to get a 180 on the test? The one time I PT'd a 178 it was luck and the test was curved so even a -6 was a 178.

Granted, I get main idea questions wrong alot on CR. Help on those would be great, thanks. That seems to be the most consistent factor in my mistakes.

I don't know if any of you guys play any sports (I saw one guy talkin about basketball) but it's so frustrating it's like shooting and just bricking and you get madder and you shoot more and your form deteriorates and you get angrier and you shoot even more and... etc.

Those of you PTing 180... I envy you. I envy you so much. So much that I will steal your brain and transplant it into my head...

1. You will probably not get a 180.
2. It probably won't matter.

1 explained. I echo the sentiments above that its hard to get 180 without at least a little luck. I PTd 180 4 out of my last 5 and when the time came- 178. There is always a matter of nerves or attentiveness that can trip you up. That said, if there is no discernible pattern to your missed points, that means that you seem to have all the concepts down, and it is a matter of attentiveness/thinking through the problems that is keeping you from the very top scores. The best thing I think you could do at this point is either go the library and check out a speed reading book or do some googling some of the basic tips to increase reading speed. The reason I say this is because if you are hitting 175+ consistently then you have the intelligence and grasp of the concepts necessary to hit 180. The faster you read, then, the more time you have to go through your answers thoroughly and apply that intelligence and understanding.

2 explained. In terms of admissions chances, though, I'm not sure there is any discernible difference between 175 and 180.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Yeah I went up to 36 and then skipped to 57. My 57+ have been 172's and 173's. I really want 175+

About the author's opinion thing: how much weight should I put on that? As in, if the author is critical of something (but the criticism only comprises of 1/2 of the passage), would the "main idea" sound critical too?
The main point is always the author's opinion. I mean...he/she wrote the damn thing for a reason...right?

Now...not every passage is going to have the author expressing his or her opinion. So for those, just try to capture what exactly the passage is trying to explain.

Lagunitan

Postby Lagunitan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Once you're PTing in the high end of your range, there's a lot of chance involved. I was PTing straight 180s in the couple weeks leading up to the test and didn't hit it on test day - nerves, etc. (I straight up mis-bubbled a question on the real test). Assume that you're going to drop 1-4 points from your PT average on test day. You might not, but I think that's generally a fair assumption.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Don't fret about the 180. I doubt that a 180 would help more than a 175-6+ which you might be able to hit.

Focus on reducing error. Make sure that you have the time to check your answers. Don't worry too much. I don't know if that'll give you a bump, but focusing on reducing error and avoiding simple mistakes should be enough to get you to your PT average.

Good luck!

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks guys. It's assuring to hear that there isn't too much of a gap when 175+.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Maybe it'll help you know that I'm in the exact same boat. Same avg wrong in each section as well. Although I'm not taking the test until December, I don't see it changing much.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:45 pm

"People who are scoring in the 99.9th percentile, I envy you. I envy you so much. I'm only scoring in the 99.3-7th percentile."

Jesus. The grass is always greener.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:47 pm

splitmuch wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:So I'm taking the test this Saturday and I've got all kinds of test day jitters already.

1 explained. I echo the sentiments above that its hard to get 180 without at least a little luck. I PTd 180 4 out of my last 5 and when the time came- 178. There is always a matter of nerves or attentiveness that can trip you up. That said, if there is no discernible pattern to your missed points, that means that you seem to have all the concepts down, and it is a matter of attentiveness/thinking through the problems that is keeping you from the very top scores. The best thing I think you could do at this point is either go the library and check out a speed reading book or do some googling some of the basic tips to increase reading speed. The reason I say this is because if you are hitting 175+ consistently then you have the intelligence and grasp of the concepts necessary to hit 180. The faster you read, then, the more time you have to go through your answers thoroughly and apply that intelligence and understanding.

2 explained. In terms of admissions chances, though, I'm not sure there is any discernible difference between 175 and 180.

Did learning to speed read actually help on the LSAT for you? I've always figured speed reading and trying to remember logical structure etc would be two mutually exclusive things

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:02 pm

M.M. wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Did learning to speed read actually help on the LSAT for you? I've always figured speed reading and trying to remember logical structure etc would be two mutually exclusive things

Well here's the thing, I didn't try and increase my reading speed to the highest possible rate. I wanted to maximize it while maintaining high level of comprehension. There are a bunch of tips/tricks that these materials offer, I adopted the ones that increased my speed with no detectable decrease in comprehension. I think there are better ways to spend your time preparing for the LSAT if you don't have a mastery of everything but if you are consistently in the high 170s-180, I think its a good way to maximize at the high end (you give yourself more time to apply your grasp of the concepts). That said, while this strategy allowed me to be hitting 180 consistently on the PTs, but nerve/carelessness still tripped me up on game day.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:37 pm

splitmuch wrote:
M.M. wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Well here's the thing, I didn't try and increase my reading speed to the highest possible rate. I wanted to maximize it while maintaining high level of comprehension. There are a bunch of tips/tricks that these materials offer, I adopted the ones that increased my speed with no detectable decrease in comprehension. I think there are better ways to spend your time preparing for the LSAT if you don't have a mastery of everything but if you are consistently in the high 170s-180, I think its a good way to maximize at the high end (you give yourself more time to apply your grasp of the concepts). That said, while this strategy allowed me to be hitting 180 consistently on the PTs, but nerve/carelessness still tripped me up on game day.

Mind linking me to these techniques?

I doubt i'll use them for the LSAT as I'm taking it in December, but they'd likely help for UG and LS if they don't decrease comp.

jmsae

Postby jmsae » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 pm

I like this analogy.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:56 pm

My highest PT was a 177 but I managed a 178 on test day. Be confident. Listening to the people around you at the testing center helps. So does relaxing the day before.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm in the exact same boat as OP and had a related question for you guys. Right now my score is basically entirely dictated by RC, for the other sections combined im getting 1 or 2 wrong normally. So for RC for the last week I've worked on trying a bunch of different timing strategies. What seems to be working the best for me is significantly slowing down on reading the passages and then flying through the questions. I'm spending 2 to 2.5 minutes reading each passage with this strategy.

I read the response that recommended speed reading, which kind of flew in the face of what I was seeing worked for me so I was just wondering what some other people's strategies were. Specifically did anyone else try this and see improvement?

Either way I think I'll be sticking with what seems to be working for me since the test is just days away... but just curious to see if anyone else tried this strategy with success.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 am

You said there's no pattern at all? Seems like you are doing better on the nonverbal conceptual part of the test. Do you have any 999 reading comp test scores to indicate you're not realizing your full potential? To be honest, you are PTing very high, and are likely missing the substantial chance that you will come in below your PT range. That's what usually happens. If you keep up this "I gotta get a 180" bull shit you're gonna crack. It sounds like you've improved from a lower point and have put in a lot of work. Now, it's time to get metacognitive and emotional. "Get in the zone." Be happy with the score you expect, and expect a score you are happy with. And prove it to yourself...by easing up on the PTing and having a beer. Then, and only then...when you're "at peace," as it were...can you focus in, approach test day like a 4 hour battle, and hope you outperform. But it's just a hope. You are sticking to your game. And a 175 is a win. You might get lucky. But ain't no one gets lucky on the LSAT by saying "oh fuck I gotta get lucky I gotta get lucky...oh fuck I gotta get a score higher than I have any reason to expect I'll get..."

Make sure you take a jog before your test, talk to no one on test day, and do 3 or 4 problems from each section, timed, in a classroom near your test room, before beginning. Good luck.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:41 am

jmsae wrote:

I like this analogy.

This says basically what I was saying but says it better.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 am

A word about increasing reading speed. Adrenaline will increase your speed and accuracy at the same time. A great way to get adrenalin pumping on the exam is to do something most people probably wouldn't recommend, and which probably isn't best for everyone...but consider reminding yourself how important the test is and how you have 4 hours to determine the course of your life. That's not really true, but easily believable, and partly true. I had a God awful GPA, so for me, it was even more true (which helped me). As long as you can keep it under control and not panic (a girl in my room got up and left 10 minutes in), then you'll probably be reading faster and more accurately than you thought you ever could. That is the biggest advantage on test day that you don't have when you PT: adrenalin.

To continue the sports analogy: some people preform better in the big one (Manning, David Tyree?) and others preform worse (McNabb).

Most important to understand: responding this way on test day is not something you can practice. You need to be in the right mindset.

(I forgot to add, eat breakfast the morning of the test and bring grapes and remember to eat them...you'll get drained of a little glucose halfway through.)

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:37 am

manofjustice wrote:A word about increasing reading speed. Adrenaline will increase your speed and accuracy at the same time. A great way to get adrenalin pumping on the exam is to do something most people probably wouldn't recommend, and which probably isn't best for everyone...but consider reminding yourself how important the test is and how you have 4 hours to determine the course of your life. That's not really true, but easily believable, and partly true. I had a God awful GPA, so for me, it was even more true (which helped me). As long as you can keep it under control and not panic (a girl in my room got up and left 10 minutes in), then you'll probably be reading faster and more accurately than you thought you ever could. That is the biggest advantage on test day that you don't have when you PT: adrenalin.

To continue the sports analogy: some people preform better in the big one (Manning, David Tyree?) and others preform worse (McNabb).

Most important to understand: responding this way on test day is not something you can practice. You need to be in the right mindset.

(I forgot to add, eat breakfast the morning of the test and bring grapes and remember to eat them...you'll get drained of a little glucose halfway through.)

This is amazing advice. Thanks, I really appreciate it. Adding dried fruit to my snacks for glucose ... You also helped me conceptualize what it is that usually helps me perform better on test days. I've always been surprised to find my highest score on the day of tests.

Just keep your cool and be confident! Saturday's score will be the best score.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 am

manofjustice wrote:To continue the sports analogy: some people preform better in the big one (Manning, David Tyree?) and others preform worse (McNabb).

I'll disagree with this a bit, both for sports and the LSAT. Great athletes who are considered "clutch" performers don't get better in the clutch, they just play as well in clutch situations as they do during all other situations. Some guys certainly get worse, though. You can't go into the LSAT expecting to perform better, just like you can't expect some NBA benchwarmer to come in and start lighting it up from 3 in a close game because he has the "clutch" gene. But you can get in the right mindset to perform just as well as you did during your practice exams. If the scores from those exams are what you want to see, and you are cool and confident on test day, you'll be just fine.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:12 pm

manofjustice wrote:A word about increasing reading speed. Adrenaline will increase your speed and accuracy at the same time. A great way to get adrenalin pumping on the exam is to do something most people probably wouldn't recommend, and which probably isn't best for everyone...but consider reminding yourself how important the test is and how you have 4 hours to determine the course of your life.

If you do do something to increase your adrenalin, I wouldn't have test day be the first time you take such a measure. There is a such a thing as too much adrenalin.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”