how do you interpret the scores of PTs you retake?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
naillsat

Bronze

how do you interpret the scores of PTs you retake?

Postby naillsat » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:13 pm

I took some of the PTs (some in the 50s and some in the 60s) back in this January, and I could only score in the high 150 or lower 160s then. Now I have retaken some of them and most of the scores are now in the 172 - 176 range. When retaking them, I cannot recall the right answers but try thinking through the questions like new. My scores are apparently higher now, but I am not sure how I should interpret the new scores. Do you guys ever retake PTs and how do you interpret them?

cahwc12

Silver

Re: how do you interpret the scores of PTs you retake?

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:28 pm

My advice is don't worry about the score. It should be a confidence booster, but the value in repeating is in focusing on those questions you are missing again, not in the predictive value of it as a score indicator.

CalAlumni

Bronze

Postby CalAlumni » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:47 pm

naillsat wrote:I took some of the PTs (some in the 50s and some in the 60s) back in this January, and I could only score in the high 150 or lower 160s then. Now I have retaken some of them and most of the scores are now in the 172 - 176 range. When retaking them, I cannot recall the right answers but try thinking through the questions like new. My scores are apparently higher now, but I am not sure how I should interpret the new scores. Do you guys ever retake PTs and how do you interpret them?

Retaking PT's I had done before, I also tried to work through them like I had never done them...my scores were 170+ and was worried that maybe it didn't reflect my true ability. That was put to rest when I took PT 66 for the first time and scored perfectly in my range that I was scoring at with the retaken PT's.

dowu

Platinum

Postby dowu » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

CalAlumni wrote:
naillsat wrote:I took some of the PTs (some in the 50s and some in the 60s) back in this January, and I could only score in the high 150 or lower 160s then. Now I have retaken some of them and most of the scores are now in the 172 - 176 range. When retaking them, I cannot recall the right answers but try thinking through the questions like new. My scores are apparently higher now, but I am not sure how I should interpret the new scores. Do you guys ever retake PTs and how do you interpret them?

Retaking PT's I had done before, I also tried to work through them like I had never done them...my scores were 170+ and was worried that maybe it didn't reflect my true ability. That was put to rest when I took PT 66 for the first time and scored perfectly in my range that I was scoring at with the retaken PT's.

Nice. Yeah, I've read that retaking the PTs isn't a bad thing, and actaully great practice in reinforcing sound reasoning and finding those pesky lingering mistakes in reasoning. I haven't run into this problem, and will probably if I have to retake for December. In short, you should take those scores with a small grain of salt, assuming you're not remembering the answer choices and simply marking them down as such. Hope that helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�