Feels like stagnation even decline -- Goal: 169-171 by Dec.

Theopliske8711

Feels like stagnation even decline -- Goal: 169-171 by Dec.

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 am

I've been studying the LSAT for several months now and have felt that is has been going pretty well. I took my first full test diagnostic several months ago and got a 156 or so and didn't take another diagnostic for a while. I work full time as a paralegal so I pushed my test to December from a Oct test date because I felt like I didn't have enough time. When doing sections I do pretty well, between 20-23/25 for logical reasoning and similar with the reading comprehension. I've gotten as many as 19/23 or so for the logic games but when I started to recently do lsat prep tests in full I am finding that I either F*up one section while doing great on the other or I do lackluster on all. It seems that I finish with too much time (with about 2 sometimes even 3 minutes extra) so I guess that is where my problem lies mainly. I am afraid to waste preptests since I have been doing 50-54 and have up to 65-66 (with the Oct test). On the first test I took I got a 161, second 163, but on the last two I dipped back to 159 and then 158, way too volatile. I feel like the ones I miss are often very basic mistakes (sometimes rushing to an answer without looking at the others)...

Anyway, in all, I am aiming for about a 169-171 range, enough for the top 20 schools. I feel like I have it in me but something just isn't clicking like it should.

PS: I may have posted this in the wrong forum by accident.

Charlie.Home

Re: Feels like stagnation even decline -- Goal: 169-171 by Dec.

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:On the first test I took I got a 161, second 163, but on the last two I dipped back to 159 and then 158, way too volatile. .

I don't consider this 'way too volatile'; the score band for a 160 is 157-163.

I experienced a similar stall in this range after studying slowly for a few months like you, and what helped me was to stop taking PTs and go back to the basics. I took a month off from PTs and read the LR and RC Manhattan books (I had already read the LG/LR bibles) and drilled question types out of the Kaplan Mastery book. When I started PTing again after that month I was in the 165-170 range, and after PTs with review for a month have moved closer to 170 (with some scores in the 170s).

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I am considering going back to the Bibles and doing them again, perhaps I will find new things. I feel that overall I have a strong grasp of the test but many of the ones I get wrong I have nailed down to two but seem to be attracted to the wrong one :| . I think by far the section that gives me the most difficulty is the LR just because the intensity of the focus is so heavy. I added in a 5th section between the 4 I have (as a third section) on the last two and generally the results have been bad on that one (I use older tests for that, which I usually nail, but my focus drops substantially when I'm on a test and I guess the change from the new question types to the old one can really bring you down).

I'm going to try a free consultation with a tutor this week to see what she says about the studying.

johnmuir1

Postby johnmuir1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Have you tried Manhattan LSAT? I work full-time as well and like the previous poster, I found Manhattan to be the most effective supplement to nailing down a solid attack strategy. I learned that when I got a question wrong after narrowing it down to two, it was usually because I was focusing on a less important detail rather than sticking to the core of the argument. Also if you're having trouble focusing, maybe you could try timing guidelines. I try to hit 10 questions in 10 minutes and 15 questions in 15 minutes. That has helped me stay on track when going through sections.

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 pm

I did the LR bible first, and then when I stalled near your range I switched to Manhattan to get a new perspective. It was a fast read and compliments the LR bible well. I definitely recommend it, especially if LR is your weak spot

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Thank you both! I will definitely pick up Manhattan. Focus is largely the result of the fact that I am distracted by even the most sensitive issues. Simply hearing a crunching sound at a library from someone touching a bag of chips, or a seat move, can ruin my focus on a question. Sadly, its next to impossible for me to find perfect silence and solitude (especially since that won't be available on the test).

PS: John. What is your study schedule like with full time work?

- Theo

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 am

Btw, I have about 15 tests left in all. Is that enough to solidify that much of an improvement?

- Theo

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”