How to study for Reading Comprehension.. Is it really needed

LSATdecember2012man

How to study for Reading Comprehension.. Is it really needed

Postby LSATdecember2012man » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:56 pm

I just started studying for the LSAT and I'm currently going through the powerscore bibles. How hard is the reading comprehension section? Is it hard to be good at? I consider myself a fairly strong reader, I'm able to power through 5-7 chapters in psychology or history textbooks fairly successfully in one or two sittings and retain a large amount of information.

Is it something I should worry about

rinkrat19

Re: How to study for Reading Comprehension.. Is it really needed

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Take a timed cold diagnostic. If you get a -0 on the RC section, you probably don't need to study it.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Today, I am hoping for a breakthrough on RC. So far, I have scored in the low 170s on my past two PTs and it is solely due to my RC scores dropping. PT 65 and 66 had RCs that I got -8 and -6 respectively. Last night in a panic, I did old passages without annotating anything at all, focusing on comprehension. I did not get a single question wrong out of about ~50 questions (these are supposedly some of the tougher older passages also). Looking through my PTs it seems like I underline everything to stay focused but my focus is compromised in doing this. I am going to try this approach redoing newer RCs that I have already done. Hopefully, this works. I suggest you get in the habit now of being an active reader. If you can do this without underlining or with underlining, it does not really matter.

LSATdecember2012man

Postby LSATdecember2012man » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:17 pm

abdistotle wrote:Today, I am hoping for a breakthrough on RC. So far, I have scored in the low 170s on my past two PTs and it is solely due to my RC scores dropping. PT 65 and 66 had RCs that I got -8 and -6 respectively. Last night in a panic, I did old passages without annotating anything at all, focusing on comprehension. I did not get a single question wrong out of about ~50 questions (these are supposedly some of the tougher older passages also). Looking through my PTs it seems like I underline everything to stay focused but my focus is compromised in doing this. I am going to try this approach redoing newer RCs that I have already done. Hopefully, this works. I suggest you get in the habit now of being an active reader. If you can do this without underlining or with underlining, it does not really matter.

What do you find hard about the RC section? Is there any supporting materials (like for logic games, the powerscore bible) that you've been using to improve you RC abilities?

Postby 05062014 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:25 pm

LSATdecember2012man wrote:What do you find hard about the RC section? Is there any supporting materials (like for logic games, the powerscore bible) that you've been using to improve you RC abilities?

I have not used anything other than old sections (maybe that is why I am scoring how I did on my diagnostic?)

What I find hard, I do not know. Dual passages have not been kind to me, in particular. I have some good scores on new tests also, so I think it is either due to the content of the passages, my approach (compulsively underlining -- not getting the appropriate feel for the passage), or, just a confidence issue right now. PT 65 really shook me up and I think my performance on 66 suffered from it.

LSATdecember2012man

Postby LSATdecember2012man » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Take a timed cold diagnostic. If you get a -0 on the RC section, you probably don't need to study it.

Is that even possible to get a -0 in RC off the bat? I'm not sure if you were trying to be a wise guy or not...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:20 pm

LSATdecember2012man wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Take a timed cold diagnostic. If you get a -0 on the RC section, you probably don't need to study it.

Is that even possible to get a -0 in RC off the bat? I'm not sure if you were trying to be a wise guy or not...

It's possible for some, sure. Not very many, obviously.

But take a timed diagnostic test. How do you have any idea how hard RC is for you without knowing what score you'd get?

LSATdecember2012man

Postby LSATdecember2012man » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

But take a timed diagnostic test. How do you have any idea how hard RC is for you without knowing what score you'd get?

i just took the 2007 june reading comp section that was linked in this thread.

I got two wrong.... it was untimed but I did it really fast so.....

why cant logic games/reasoning be easy for me like this?.....

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

i just took the 2007 june reading comp section that was linked in this thread.

I got two wrong.... it was untimed but I did it really fast so.....

why cant logic games/reasoning be easy for me like this?.....
So...What are you actually asking? (and one section untimed is not a timed diagnostic.)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”