Advice Needed From High-Scorers: Am I Missing Something?

mezzcudi

Re: Advice Needed From High-Scorers: Am I Missing Something?

Postby mezzcudi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Guys,

Few problems here I struggled with if anyone would like to exert their expertise. They're ones that: 1) I missed, 2) Powerscore considers to be difficult, and 3) I was very dissatisfied with Powerscore's rationale. All four derive from the October 2004 Test. I can post the questions if need be (not sure how this is typically done) but I just figured anyone responding to this type of inquiry would have all/most the tests on tap.

LR 1 #13.
Truly the only question I worked through and still didn't understand. I eliminated the correct answer and narrowed it down to B and E. Following the Powerscore approach, I looked for a element not contained in both a premise and the conclusion and found that in E. I confidently selected E and was surprised by A being the correct answer.

LR 1 #20
The correct answer to this question (B) is pretty obvious after the fact (having initially eliminated it), however I still contend that my answer has merit almost as high as the correct answer. I chose A due to the relationship between "impulsiveness" and dopamine sensitivity. This matched my prephrase only to find out it was incorrect. The Powerscore Deconstructed analysis was brief, stating that impulsiveness in relation to adults was irrelevant. How would this not be relevant impulsiveness and adults are separate entities? B is the better answer but I don't think I made the unwarranted assumption Powerscore is accusing me of making.

LR 1 #24
I actually erased the correct answer after selecting it and leaving D on the table. I chose D because I don't see how Freud had to do with the PRIMARY argument at work (obviously a premise of the argument but not strong enough in my opinion to warrant E as correct over D. Powerscore cited the case that "illustrating a difficulty" did not occur. How can this be? The stimulus clearly states: "But since dream contend varies enormously..." Is that not a difficulty of providing a "complete explanation?"

Finally,

LR 2 #14
Though I understand why the correct answer is what it is (B), I think E is just as strong, maybe stronger because it gets at the point better in my (limited) opinion. What basically gets me is that the explanation is that E doesn't support the argument at all and it actually supports a piece of the argument besides what is actually suppose to be "most supported." I do not see at all how this is the case. E mentions all the elements: eye sight and fetus development in a direct relation. How can this not support the development of eye sight in babies?

Once again, I can post the questions if that's how it works. I look forward to some responses on these questions as I truly do not agree with Powerscore on the explanations (though I know they're right).

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:26 pm

160 is not a high score. It's tough if you don't understand the rational. Use another system, learn the basics, and then practice. Manhattan LSAT's LR was helpful.

mezzcudi

Postby mezzcudi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:51 pm

I realize that 160 on this site is comparable to borderline incompetency, but honestly I accept that I am innately not gifted toward the type of reasoning/tasks demanded by the LSAT. That is not AT ALL to say that if I very seriously studied (like a fair amount of people on this site do), I could improve my score indefinitely, maybe even achieve one of those premier scores. But the reality is, for my situation, 160 would be acceptable (I mean there's a reason the avg. score is in the low 150's right?). Another year of studying would be fantastic, I'm actually even starting to really enjoy taking practice tests, but it simply would be far from practical. I will have studied for around eight months by next week (realistically less due to set backs), but if I can just score around 160, statistically speaking considering grades, etc., everything will be peachy. I clearly won't be getting into Harvard like some of the people posting on this forum (which is extremely admirable) but my focus isn't entirely on law either; I am intending to do a dual JD and public policy master's program. I'll opt to get the undergrad, JD, and master's out of the way in a total of seven years to set the stage for a PhD before I'm 30; but you're right a higher score is preferably if it's appropriate (and it normally is).

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:13 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:17 am

2012Lsatscore wrote:
mezzcudi wrote:Another year of studying would be fantastic, I'm actually even starting to really enjoy taking practice tests, but it simply would be far from practical. I will have studied for around eight months by next week (realistically less due to set backs), but if I can just score around 160, statistically speaking considering grades, etc., everything will be peachy. I clearly won't be getting into Harvard like some of the people posting on this forum (which is extremely admirable) but my focus isn't entirely on law either; I am intending to do a dual JD and public policy master's program. I'll opt to get the undergrad, JD, and master's out of the way in a total of seven years to set the stage for a PhD before I'm 30

What job are you seeking exactly???Why do you want the JD? Seriously?

Why don't you put your effort into getting accepted to your PhD program and skip the MA and JD. If you are not going to practice law or teach law then you need to just move on. A PhD requires 6 years usually. I suggest choosing one or the other (JD or PhD). It would be different if you weren't struggling and had an excellent chance at a full ride. The fact is that you are struggling to get a 160 and want to got to a tier one school, but you will likely struggle and would be better off going to a tier three school with a full scholarship.

Bachelors + JD + MA + PhD = A shit load of time and debt! You need to simplify. I suggest some career counseling before you dig yourself into a seriously deep hole only to find that it was completely un-necessary.

This.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:59 am

CalAlumni wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:
mezzcudi wrote:Another year of studying would be fantastic, I'm actually even starting to really enjoy taking practice tests, but it simply would be far from practical. I will have studied for around eight months by next week (realistically less due to set backs), but if I can just score around 160, statistically speaking considering grades, etc., everything will be peachy. I clearly won't be getting into Harvard like some of the people posting on this forum (which is extremely admirable) but my focus isn't entirely on law either; I am intending to do a dual JD and public policy master's program. I'll opt to get the undergrad, JD, and master's out of the way in a total of seven years to set the stage for a PhD before I'm 30

Why don't you put your effort into getting accepted to your PhD program and skip the MA and JD. If you are not going to practice law or teach law then you need to just move on. A PhD requires 6 years usually. I suggest choosing one or the other (JD or PhD). It would be different if you weren't struggling and had an excellent chance at a full ride. The fact is that you are struggling to get a 160 and want to got to a tier one school, but you will likely struggle and would be better off going to a tier three school with a full scholarship.

Bachelors + JD + MA + PhD = A shit load of time and debt! You need to simplify. I suggest some career counseling before you dig yourself into a seriously deep hole only to find that it was completely un-necessary.

This.

escusi mezzcudi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbt2G9Wy_f0

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:12 am

chadbrochill wrote:
CalAlumni wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:

This.

escusi mezzcudi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbt2G9Wy_f0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA I knew that name sounded familiar!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Scotty Doesn't Know!

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:33 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mezzcudi

Postby mezzcudi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 am

I was only attempting to put the LSAT in perspective, for my situation. If you are sincerely curious about "what job I am seeking," etc.; in short: my primary interest always has been politics and public policy. During my second year of undergrad, a professor and leading scholar in the field of American legal history definitively convinced me of what I wanted to do in life. As you know, scholars in the field have a number of potential career options: teach at a university, practice law, run for public office, etc. A master's is obviously vital and the best in the field have a law degree and/or Ph.D as well. That's my plan.

You mentioned finances. I did the first three years of undergrad in two in order to cut the total cost by a quarter. I was awarded a scholarship from a project during my first year of undergrad which made the grad/ph.d plan economically feasible without the JD factored in. After researching dual JD/master's programs (which would save another whole year of time and money), my grandpa wanted to help. He attended Boalt Hall and has routinely characterized law school as the best experience of his life. In addition, hs scholarships helped with the ug, as well as my parents (I work in order to pay living expenses, though). I intend to complete the process with no debt.

Then why am I settling as far as the LSAT goes? Though I am honestly just not very good at the test, I would take the steps necessary to improve if necessity arose. But, I want to stay in-state and there is only one law school in the state (plus it fits well). The median LSAT is 157. The rest of my app. checks out. I really don't need a 175 or anything (but that would be cool).

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:19 am

Median lsat may be 157, but i would bet the median of matriculants is higher. But whatever... special snowflake and all that.

Edit: misread for total median instead of school median. Special snowflake still applies.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:22 am

2012Lsatscore wrote:
mezzcudi wrote:scholars in the field have a number of potential career options: teach at a university, practice law, run for public office, etc.

Do what you want but none of those potential jobs require a JD, MA/MS, and Phd.

Good luck! No hard feelings. :)

Yea, it seems like you're sacrificing years of your life and earning potential to accumulate more debt for fancy degrees that aren't necessary. If you want to be in politics then get involved in politics. If you want to practice law then you need to aim higher on the lsat. If you want to be a professor then you'll need a masters and/or phd (not all 3 though), but job prospects aren't exactly great in that field.

I mean, do you, but you do realize how expensive this current path will be, right? You don't need to defend your life choices to me, but if I were you I'd take some time and rethink that path. Good luck either way.

Kanye doesn't like your plan either

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”