Take in October OR Tutor+Take in December.

LionelHutzJD

Take in October OR Tutor+Take in December.

Postby LionelHutzJD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello all

I was hoping to get some input from people here. I've been studying since early July, took the Testmasters course. Improved my score from a 142 cold diag to a 159 (high so far). I usually score a 155-156 when I take my PT. I am hoping for a score of 160 and higher in October. Since I have yet to hit 160, I was wondering if you guys think I should just take it in December. If I take it in December, I would be able to get an individual tutor, paid for by my (very supportive) parents. OR should I take it in October, hopefully get lucky, and if i do poorly, take it again in December? Thanks for any help.!

NoodleyOne

Re: Take in October OR Tutor+Take in December.

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:37 pm

If you're not hitting your target at all, I would say push it back. I don't think it's reasonable to think you're going to have that epiphany on test day and all of a sudden score above your highest test.

Also, with a couple more months of study, you're not going to want to settle for a 160. You've been around to know the resources that are recommended. Use all of them and crush the damn thing.

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:11 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:If you're not hitting your target at all, I would say push it back. I don't think it's reasonable to think you're going to have that epiphany on test day and all of a sudden score above your highest test.

Also, with a couple more months of study, you're not going to want to settle for a 160. You've been around to know the resources that are recommended. Use all of them and crush the damn thing.

Definitely this. The hope that ones LSAT score will go up on test day rarely becomes a reality because of gameday nerves and distractions. Going down 2 or 3 points from your average is more common. Get that tutor and take your time studying for December. You have nothing to lose but time, and even then it can financially pay off in the form of scholarships.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:11 pm

UGH im sick of studying at this point, i feel like crying.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:UGH im sick of studying at this point, i feel like crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSM1mvMypWU
You are the fat kid, and the coach is your new tutor.
/thread.

EttaJ

Postby EttaJ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:23 pm

I studied for the LSAT for more than a year. I cancelled my first LSAT because I knew it didn't go the way I wanted it to. I should have left it well alone until I was testing above where I wanted to be. If you know where you want to be and you aren't there you should think about doing this as well.

Take a week off, recharge, and hit the books even harder than before. You can do it.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Then take a break for the next week or two and don't even think about the LSAT. Then get a tutor (me me me! or someone else) and get to work. (Keep in mind the tutor is there to supplement and guide your self-study, not supplant it.)

Also, work smarter, not harder. Putting in a couple hours of high quality drilling and thorough review is better than taking PT after PT.

And the advice NoodleyOne and EttaJ gave is good and you should heed it.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Do you tutor in NYC?

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:59 pm

relevantfactor wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSM1mvMypWU
You are the fat kid, and the coach is your new tutor.
/thread.

Nice video

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”