How real is the test day drop and test day bump?

applemaroon

How real is the test day drop and test day bump?

Postby applemaroon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi guys, any thoughts/experiences? And if people typically score lower/higher than their PT, how many points are we talking about?

guinness1547

Re: How real is the test day drop and test day bump?

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 pm

I scored approximately 3 points less than my average.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:44 pm

guinness1547 wrote:I scored approximately 3 points less than my average.

Postby 05062014 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Unless you have an incompetent proctor or a truly inappropriate testing environment, what is to say that you won't be able to perform with that extra edge only the stakes of the real test can bring out of you?

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:49 pm

abdistotle wrote:Unless you have an incompetent proctor or a truly inappropriate testing environment, what is to say that you won't be able to perform with that extra edge only the stakes of the real test can bring out of you?

That's what I'm banking on, to be honest--probably because I need to be optimistic. I feel drained. I feel like I'm not improving, and I'm just waiting for test day. I expect the test to give me adrenaline; but who's to say that's a good thing? For me, I think it is. I know the LSAT is only slightly comparable to academic exams, but for academic exams, I always kick it up a gear for the real thing. I get tired of studying, but once the blue book hits the desk it's thinking time. I hope this happens.

Postby 05062014 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 pm

I can tell you that the implications this test will have for my future has already made me - a chronic night-owl - wake up at 6am for a 1+ hour bike ride each morning. It has given me the motivation to exercise harder than ever with the purpose of hopefully getting my brain a bit more oxygen day by day. I am treating it as a competition, which it is. My desktop background is the stationary bikes in the exercise room of the hotel I am staying at next friday. This may seem outrageous to many people. Everyone needs a way to find inner piece before this test to do their best. Find yours

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:08 pm

abdistotle wrote:I can tell you that the implications this test will have for my future has already made me - a chronic night-owl - wake up at 6am for a 1+ hour bike ride each morning. It has given me the motivation to exercise harder than ever with the purpose of hopefully getting my brain a bit more oxygen day by day. I am treating it as a competition, which it is. My desktop background is the stationary bikes in the exercise room of the hotel I am staying at next friday. This may seem outrageous to many people. Everyone needs a way to find inner piece before this test to do their best. Find yours

I don't think that's outrageous at all. It's a great attitude. I wish I were that kind of a person. But I'm quite obsessive and single-minded, and I have trouble doing anything but the task ahead of me.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:09 pm

some go up a little, some go down a little. I'd say the odds of your score being more than 2-3 points below your average is around twice as much as the odds of it being 2-3 points above your average.

Dat nervousness; it gets you

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:13 pm

your score will go down.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:13 pm

the more realistic your prep is to the actual test day- the less likelly you are to see a drop, unless you have unforsen circumstances/ bad test day luck. If you only do 4 sections, then you could see a drop especially on the last section due to fatigue. If not- then you should score within a 3 point bandwith of your PT average. However, it may be a result of having your weakest question types show up more frequently than ususal, or having an overall tougher/ easier test in regards to you ( not the curve, but the way the sections are tied together, the question types and which one is better for you or not. Just keep your routine the same and dont think about it too much0 there is nothing you can do to prepare for what test booklet you get.

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 pm

applemaroon wrote:Hi guys, any thoughts/experiences? And if people typically score lower/higher than their PT, how many points are we talking about?

From my browsing of the June thread, it seemed like many (but not all) people experienced a test day drop, particularly in LG. This might've be because of the newly introduced format and tight curve. If anyone could chime in, I'd love to hear your experience and what you would've done differently.

shehadehr

Postby shehadehr » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:20 pm

abdistotle wrote:Unless you have an incompetent proctor or a truly inappropriate testing environment, what is to say that you won't be able to perform with that extra edge only the stakes of the real test can bring out of you?

I say yes! I know people tend to argue that one usually scores a couple point less than their average, and I've heard the reasons too. However, I personally know people who scored higher, as obviously there are plenty who get higher than their average scores come test day, so be careful of your mindset, and prep to be one of the latter!

I'm pushing mine to december because it's taken me a little longer to get the basics down, and I want time to drill and PT a lot. In 12 days you are going to hulk smash this test because you prepared and you're ready. You're not getting a lower score. Oct. 6th is game day... make it happen :twisted:

btw, I like Northwood's analysis.

Postby 06102016 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 pm

adammac17

Postby adammac17 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Generally, I guess you can say the drop is real. However, I was an outlier - I was Pt'ing w/ an average of 164ish and had only hit 167 once. Test day I got lucky (maybe?) and got a 169. *shrug*

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm

I had a three point increase from my PT average, but I know some people who had a 2 or 3 point drop as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”