How does an overly anxious person get 170+? OCD people?

gg2

How does an overly anxious person get 170+? OCD people?

Postby gg2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:01 am

So I've been studying for the LSAT for 4 months and I've pretty much learned all the concepts (I reviewed questions I got wrong, understand why I got them wrong, why the correct answer choice is correct, etc). I've gotten perfect scores (or nearly perfect scores) on all the sections on separate occasions.
However, the stress/anxiety of racing against time often makes me make a shit ton of mistakes that I otherwise wouldn't have made. I might have General Anxiety Disorder (maybe? lol) and all the pressure from my desperateness to get into law school makes the whole experience abysmal. I freak out unnecessarily (as I often get the last 5 questions wrong on the LR just because I'm afraid of running out of time and end up having to reread when in fact, I had adequate time).

Just wondering if anyone with GAD or OCD had succeeded or is taking the test and have any tips or inspiration?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: How does an overly anxious person get 170+? OCD people?

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 am

Venturing into waters I don't know very well...

I'd say that OCD could be helpful in that there can be an attention to detail. There are some folks in my family with OCD-like profiles who are very adept at tests. However, anxiety is a different story. I'd say that needs to get handled through a doctor and/or learning to manage that through meditation, exercise, etc.

Overall, the more the test is routinized, the easier it is to avoid freaking out. "Oh, here's an assumption question, let me go find the conclusion. OK, why are they saying that? Hmm, I don't see the gap, but let me work through the answers..." As well as "hmm, I don't see that one, but I'm allowed to get 15 questions wrong, so let me move on and save time."

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 pm

My gf has OCD and it's pretty bad, usually related to when it comes to organizing stuff. She got 178 after studying Princeton Review, but what she mostly did was do PTs. She told me that her OCD helped her? Idk how much of that is true, since I don't have OCD lol.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Venturing into waters I don't know very well...

I'd say that OCD could be helpful in that there can be an attention to detail. There are some folks in my family with OCD-like profiles who are very adept at tests. However, anxiety is a different story. I'd say that needs to get handled through a doctor and/or learning to manage that through meditation, exercise, etc.

Overall, the more the test is routinized, the easier it is to avoid freaking out. "Oh, here's an assumption question, let me go find the conclusion. OK, why are they saying that? Hmm, I don't see the gap, but let me work through the answers..." As well as "hmm, I don't see that one, but I'm allowed to get 15 questions wrong, so let me move on and save time."

."

Wow this is ignorant. OCD is an anxiety disorder. If you mean OCD in a colloquial sense then you're in a whole different conversation. Clinical OCD looks like washing your hands until they bleed, counting to 100 in your head every time you think about death, or extreme hypochondria. In no way can it help anyone with any standardized test ever unless it involves the number of stairs it took to get to the test room.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:26 pm

andythefir wrote:

."

Wow this is ignorant. OCD is an anxiety disorder. If you mean OCD in a colloquial sense then you're in a whole different conversation. Clinical OCD looks like washing your hands until they bleed, counting to 100 in your head every time you think about death, or extreme hypochondria. In no way can it help anyone with any standardized test ever unless it involves the number of stairs it took to get to the test room.

Clinical OCD has two general types of symptons, Obsessions and Compulsions.
Obsessions are impulsive thoughts to do something... For example, woman had intrusive impulsive thoughts to burn her eyes with a cigarette.
Compulsions is an act that keeps repeating due to "fear" of something (that's what she was explaining me) the act of having to repeatedly wash her hands to rid herself of contamination, etc. Obviously, those two are broad categories. But what you said are only compulsions, and no obsessions. The way it helped my girlfriend was that she is extremely organized, so even the slight detail that was off she would probably freak out about(speculating). Also, term shifts would be easily identifiable for her(Not that it isn't for most people lol).

gg2

Postby gg2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:20 pm

whoa didnt intend this thread to be offensive in any way... ><

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Nothing here is offensive, just a lot of misinformation in popular culture about what OCD is and isn't. Mislabeling OCD can make people who really do have OCD reluctant to get help because of the connotations.
Law as an industry has a wildly disproportionate share of anxiety, depression and substance abuse which can overlap and intersect. You can get by and do well on the LSAT with any of the 3, but by far your best bet is getting treatment before the LSAT and definitely before law school. Law school as an enterprise is designed to make you feel like your previous accomplishments are worthless and puts students neck deep in uncertainty: both of which can cause someone with anxiety/depression to crack.

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Op, im in a very similar situation, im generally a pretty anxious person (not sure if i have odc) and i get really bad test anxiety. once i had all the concepts with the lsat down and got to PTing where i wanted, i focused more on relaxing myself mentally as opposed to continually drilling pts. (although i still did some)

FWIW, i pt in the low 170s but on the real test, i canceled first time around ( really bad test anxiety) and the 2nd time around i sort of blacked out and got really anxious again and scored roughly 10 points below my pt average (made a whole bunch of mistakes on easy q's, didnt remember putting a specific answer down, and got the easiest of LR's wrong, i felt as if someone else had taken the test for me)

im takin the october test and this time around i've made relaxing a primary concern. im taking a different approach from the other two times because of me "abnormal conditions" i need to account for.

however, maybe this IS something i should get checked up medically for, and you might want to do that also.
it has been frustrating because i've been focused on this test for nearly a year and if i mess up this time around, im done for a while (lsat policy)

PM me if you want to discuss further, it can be a frustrating obstacle to overcome

SnappleLlama

Postby SnappleLlama » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 pm

I have OCD, and if anything, it makes me even more anxious when I'm studying for this accursed test (ha, ha). Honestly, I wish it would help, but in my personal experience, OCD has been nothing but a hindrance. There are different manifestations, though, so maybe it has "helped" other sufferers study :)

gg2

Postby gg2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:51 pm

enigmabk wrote:Op, im in a very similar situation, im generally a pretty anxious person (not sure if i have odc) and i get really bad test anxiety. once i had all the concepts with the lsat down and got to PTing where i wanted, i focused more on relaxing myself mentally as opposed to continually drilling pts. (although i still did some)

FWIW, i pt in the low 170s but on the real test, i canceled first time around ( really bad test anxiety) and the 2nd time around i sort of blacked out and got really anxious again and scored roughly 10 points below my pt average (made a whole bunch of mistakes on easy q's, didnt remember putting a specific answer down, and got the easiest of LR's wrong, i felt as if someone else had taken the test for me)

im takin the october test and this time around i've made relaxing a primary concern. im taking a different approach from the other two times because of me "abnormal conditions" i need to account for.

however, maybe this IS something i should get checked up medically for, and you might want to do that also.
it has been frustrating because i've been focused on this test for nearly a year and if i mess up this time around, im done for a while (lsat policy)

PM me if you want to discuss further, it can be a frustrating obstacle to overcome

Wow congrats on pting in the 170s! I've never gotten in the 170s before because even pting gives me anxiety though when I do individual sections timed I get -0 or -2 max. I'm taking it for the first time this October too so I'm really worried... but knowing that we're in the same boat makes me feel better.

good luck to both of us!

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Well, I'm guessing if you're truly diagnosed with OCD or GAD, a doctor should be able to write a scrip for some mild anti-anxiety stuff, or possibly bump your dosage a tad if you're already using medication.

I know more than a few people whose doctor prescribed them a very mild dose of some chill pills (forget which one) during interview season and they said it worked wonders.

AM12345

Postby AM12345 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:16 am

It won't help in time for the upcoming test, but if it's really that severe you can try to get testing accomodations (they offer extra time on sections, longer breaks, etc). But in general, I think the best way to combat test anxiety, as obvious as this sounds, is to be as prepared as possible. As in, be comfortable with the material (which you seem to be) but also the circumstances surrounding it. Ie, take PTs in less than ideal testing conditions, assume your proctor may be an idiot & shave a few minutes off your time. Basically, prepare for every contingency. If you have access to your test center, take a few PTs there, so that you walk in on test day you already feel comfortable there. Figure out what you're going to eat at break time & eat that on your breaks while PTing; when doing PTs use the same watch you're going to use on test day etc etc--essentially, replicate it as best you can, so that on test day it feels like just another PT. I know that there's no accounting for the anxiety of the actual test--no way to replicate it, but fwiw, in my experience being able to control as many variables as possible really helped.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”