Whittling Down Mistakes on LR

FlowBro

Whittling Down Mistakes on LR

Postby FlowBro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:45 pm

For the past month or so I have been consistently missing about 4 questions per LR section. Over the past three PT's I've taken my miss total has been either 8 or 9. Although we are only 12 days away from the test, does anybody have advice that could help me cut these errors in half?

Also, I am not missing any specific question type, that is why I am not sure if drilling by type would be beneficial, especially at this point in the game.

relevantfactor

Re: Whittling Down Mistakes on LR

Postby relevantfactor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you might be a little burned out. Taking a day off might help. I had another suggestion but I forgot. I'll come back to it.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:51 pm

relevantfactor wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you might be a little burned out. Taking a day off might help. I had another suggestion but I forgot. I'll come back to it.

This is definitely a possibility. In my mind I keep telling myself that on test day I will have that extra focus and drive to improve my accuracy. But I would feel much more comfortable if I could start hitting LR sections -1 or -2 consistently especially since I am finding myself with extra time and questions missed in the 10-15 range.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:53 pm

FlowBro wrote:
relevantfactor wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you might be a little burned out. Taking a day off might help. I had another suggestion but I forgot. I'll come back to it.

This is definitely a possibility. In my mind I keep telling myself that on test day I will have that extra focus and drive to improve my accuracy. But I would feel much more comfortable if I could start hitting LR sections -1 or -2 consistently especially since I am finding myself with extra time and questions missed in the 10-15 range.

Reviewing foundational stuff might be useful too... 8 or 9 misses is not by chance, you are definitely falling for some of the common traps.

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:36 pm

I think it can be extremely helpful to see commonalities in your misses, and I think that looking for commonalities should be a significant part of your review process --

One tip I have that might be helpful is to think of all your misses as falling into one or more of three categories --

1) I mis-solved it (I didn't use the right approach to reading the stimulus, I didn't know what to look for in eliminating wrong choices, etc)
2) I misread it (didn't identify correct conc/supp relationship, overlooked key modifier and got tricked into picking wrong answer, etc)
3) I mis-reasoned it (did not see flaw in the argument correctly)

You may find that though your misses are spread out across various types of questions, they are caused by the same types of lapses in your skill set or habits. At this point, there isn't a whole lot of time to change what you do, but, at the same time, even being more specifically aware of your issues can have a significant positive impact, and using the simple categories above might help with that. Good luck!

Funkycrime

Postby Funkycrime » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm

I went from missing 8 or 9 a section to missing less than 3 a section in about a month, and something that really helped me was the Manhattan forums. I basically re-take every LR section with my laptop up next to me, checking Manhattan explanations after every question.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Funkycrime, that's what I've been doing and for the most part it is tremendously helpful.

Also it seems like some of the advice given above was given with the idea in mind that the OP is missing 8 or 9 in each LR section, but I believe it's across sections.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 pm

framboozer wrote:Funkycrime, that's what I've been doing and for the most part it is tremendously helpful.

Also it seems like some of the advice given above was given with the idea in mind that the OP is missing 8 or 9 in each LR section, but I believe it's across sections.

That's right, 8-9 misses per test across both sections. I appreciate the advice and have started to use the Manhattan forums. Time to buckle down and know that 4 answers are 100% wrong and 1 answer is 100% right.

vegso

Postby vegso » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm

you may not be missing similar question types but you are likely getting questions wrong for the same reasons, look for those

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”