Anyone do any prepping the morning of their LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSAT>LDAC

New

Anyone do any prepping the morning of their LSAT?

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:27 pm

This is not a thread on the presumed dangers and risks involved with doing some prep the morning of the LSAT.

I am simply asking those who have prepped on the day/morning of; did you find it useful/effective? How so?

Of course I value everyone's opinion, and would love your two cents, but I am strictly trying to prevent the "don't dare dare to do this, you will be burnt out" posts. Everyone's mental capacities are different and I've been scoring better on the tests that I take after warming up (by taking sections.)

Cerebro

Bronze

Re: Anyone do any prepping the morning of their LSAT?

Post by Cerebro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm interested in this topic.

In addition to OP's question: If you are planning to do perform warm-up drills or take sections on game day, are you also doing this when taking timed PrepTests?

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 pm

If you haven't taken the actual test before, keep in mind that many people, myself included, find the real test more mentally exhausting than any practice exams. That is all.

tyler.durden

Bronze

Post by tyler.durden » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:41 pm

The morning of the test I did 2 logic games, 1 RC passage, and 10 LR from Cambridge compilation of the "most difficult" LR. I felt that it warmed me up to the exam and got mien the right mindset.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Just my 2cents. I always do better if I do a LG section, get 2-3 questions wrong, slap myself for being completely dumb, and do another one. I always do better on the second one after reminding myself of common mistakes by reviewing the questions I got wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm probably going to crack open McGraw-Hill's new book for the first time morning of. Hit few chaps before game time.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:19 pm

I'd recommend doing a few questions just to get warmed up. Don't check your answers though- you may psyche yourself out.

abcde12345

Bronze

Post by abcde12345 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:58 pm

I am also interested in this. Could people also tell their stores of not prepping the morning of? I think that will be equally useful in evaluating whether or not to.

On a related note, how is everyone prepping the day before? Is it advisable to prep Friday? Or should Friday be a day off? Anecdotes welcome.

CalAlumni

Bronze

Post by CalAlumni » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:05 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Just my 2cents. I always do better if I do a LG section, get 2-3 questions wrong, slap myself for being completely dumb, and do another one. I always do better on the second one after reminding myself of common mistakes by reviewing the questions I got wrong.
I'm the same way, but I prime myself with hard LR's.

The is a really important topic. If others who have taken the exam before have any input, please do share.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get the exam rolling once you get there at 8:30?
Last edited by CalAlumni on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 pm

I ran through a page of LG and a page of LR before I got out of the car at the testing facility. Pick pages you did well on when you used them as PTs, and don't score them.

You don't want the real test to be the first written material your brain has encountered that day.

Clarity

Bronze

Post by Clarity » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:08 pm

minnbills wrote:I'd recommend doing a few questions just to get warmed up. Don't check your answers though- you may psyche yourself out.
This is what I am going to do. A few LGs and not check my answers after. I do not want to go in over confident or defeated.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am

Clarity wrote:
minnbills wrote:I'd recommend doing a few questions just to get warmed up. Don't check your answers though- you may psyche yourself out.
This is what I am going to do. A few LGs and not check my answers after. I do not want to go in over confident or defeated.
Note that you can and should do this for warm-up before PTs too.... get a test and chop it up into quarters, then take 1/4 of LG, LR, RC before your PT and don't check the answers until you've finished the 4th PT.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:28 am

The last time I took it, I went in cold because I wanted to "save my energy" or something. Dumb idea. In prepping this time, I've done a few cold and the rest with prep and the cold ones were my lowest scores. How much prep is ideal probably varies from person to person, but I think it's a good idea to do something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:32 am

I didn't do any, but some people brought whole practice tests to the site and were doing them. What's wrong with people?

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:13 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I didn't do any, but some people brought whole practice tests to the site and were doing them. What's wrong with people?
You do have to remember the average score is about 50% of the questions correct, and most people do barely any prep at all for this test. If you were cramming for a test, you might get a PT or two and do one the day before and one the morning of at the test center.

Sure, it's immature and irresponsible, but if that's all you've ever known, then that's how you do it.

Those same people might go "some people studied for more than 6 months for this test. What's wrong with people?"

bdeebs

Bronze

Post by bdeebs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I chose to do 1 full LR section, 2 games (one grouping, one sequence), and 2 RC before the June test. They were all questions I had not seen before. I chose to look at the answers afterward. This was a little easier in June because the test was at 1 so I could do it at my leisure in the morning. I feel like this was extremely beneficial for my particular testing style. I have taken many practice tests, but have never mastered a particular system to the point where I can effortlessly apply the methodology. Rather, I pulled what I liked from several systems and developed an intuitive sense for the test, applying a particular method consciously if my intuition failed me. I feel like the prep prior to the test is essential for me to sharpen this intuitive sense so I am not bogged down by trivial questions early on. As far as burning myself out, I tend not to have stamina issues, and the adrenaline rush from the actual test made it significantly easier than practice tests from an endurance standpoint. Final score was a 172, which was slightly lower than PT average but still within a normal range.

LSAT>LDAC

New

Post by LSAT>LDAC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks, all. Very helpful stuff. I probably will look to see which ones I got wrong when I prep, not for scoring purposes, but to prevent getting a similar one wrong in the next hour; because I'm under the impression I just got a similar one right in the last hour.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”