last big LR help before test

gspiel1232

last big LR help before test

Postby gspiel1232 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Okay, so I've identified that S. Assumptions and MBT are my weak link. If i dont miss them then they are definitely taking more time than pretty much every other q. With the exception of parallels. Im thinking that maybe i should skip any of these qs from maybe 8 onward, while drilling the hell out of them until test day...these qs are definitely the difference between a high 160 and 170 for me. Any additional insight?
Sent from phone so sorry for typos
Se

Funkycrime

Re: last big LR help before test

Postby Funkycrime » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:54 pm

The Manhattan book had a pretty cool chapter on necessary and sufficient assumptions. It did a really good job of illustrating the differences between the two plainly and then providing an appropriate approach for both. A lot of top scorers were recommending it on here, and it basically rescued my LR.

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Cracking the LSAT by Princeton Review has a really good LR section in my opinion. I initially scored about evenly in RC and LR, now LR is definitely my strong point.

gspiel1232

Postby gspiel1232 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Yeah ive read the manhattan book twice....i know how to approach the problems, im looking for tips about adv. Time management and the like

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Zensack wrote:Cracking the LSAT by Princeton Review has a really good LR section in my opinion. I initially scored about evenly in RC and LR, now LR is definitely my strong point.

You must be joking....

Anyways, MLSAT and PSLR are the go-to for self-study.... That said, I don't know what resources you have.
As far as time goes, I find that reading the question stem first, gives you a purpose when reading the question and in the end saves time. Also, there is nothing that will do better than practicing those types.

Sweeny12

Postby Sweeny12 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 pm

relevantfactor wrote:As far as time goes, I find that reading the question stem first, gives you a purpose when reading the question and in the end saves time. Also, there is nothing that will do better than practicing those types.

this is really the best thing you can do, read the question stem first will give a strategy right off the bat (if you know the different LR types really well). Then just drill, drill, drill. I found that when i took the time to do around 100 of a specific type of question from the different actual LSAT test, my ability to get those LR questions right turned into second nature. This is coming from someone who started out my prep by missing 10-15 per LR section, to missing 1 or 2 per test. The ability to find patterns and what not is easy with enough intense study of specific problem areas.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:27 pm

relevantfactor wrote:
Zensack wrote:Cracking the LSAT by Princeton Review has a really good LR section in my opinion. I initially scored about evenly in RC and LR, now LR is definitely my strong point.

You must be joking....

Anyways, MLSAT and PSLR are the go-to for self-study.... That said, I don't know what resources you have.
As far as time goes, I find that reading the question stem first, gives you a purpose when reading the question and in the end saves time. Also, there is nothing that will do better than practicing those types.

I've tried so many different approaches to the LSAT over the past year and can safely recommend this method as being the best way to approach LR.

gspiel1232

Postby gspiel1232 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 am

yeah i second the reading the Q stem first.

The only time i dont finish it is if its a Role question. As soon as I see its a role question I move on to the paragraph and then check to see the part the question discusses and then look to solve.

Seems to work for me

vegso

Postby vegso » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 am

I hate reading the stem first, clouds my mind while im trying to read the stim. I feel that if i just read it naturally and dissect it as i go that i should have the argument fully pulled apart by the time i get to the stem and then it takes only a few seconds to solve most questions. Only time i read stem first is when i see the answers are all really long to see if im dealing with flaw reasoning or parallel reasoning cause those are much quicker to diagram as you go

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:30 am

vegso wrote:I hate reading the stem first, clouds my mind while im trying to read the stim. I feel that if i just read it naturally and dissect it as i go that i should have the argument fully pulled apart by the time i get to the stem and then it takes only a few seconds to solve most questions. Only time i read stem first is when i see the answers are all really long to see if im dealing with flaw reasoning or parallel reasoning cause those are much quicker to diagram as you go

I have the opposite problem. Nothing clouds my mind worse than reading through a long stimulus, keeping track of premises and conclusions, and then getting to a question stem asking about the role in the argument, and then realizing I missed something and need to go back. But hey, different strokes for different folks.
Last edited by RCinDNA on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Stem vs. Stim is definitely a whatever floats your boat situation. I personally read the stim first, but I know plenty of people have success with the other way as well.

Anyway, other than reviewing the chapters in MLSAT and drilling like BP, you may want to sit in on our last review session on Sunday (although maybe we'll try to squeeze in one more?). PT 64 is the target, I believe.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”