Hitting 175+ yet? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Hitting 175+ yet?

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 pm

edit
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Gold

Re: Hitting 175+ yet?

Post by emkay625 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 pm

I will warn you - hitting 175 regularly doesn't happen for everyone, and is not a guarantee on test day.

During the last month of prep I could hit 172 one day and 180 the next. I was all over the map, with no rhyme or reason. Ended up fucking up logic games and getting a 173 on test day.

I honestly think the key is taking the PTs at the EXACT same time as you will take the real thing if at all possible. I had to take all of mine at night because I was working full time so taking them in the morning wasn't possible.

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 pm

175 in mid August then I started taking Solodyn for acne which gave me terrible headaches and I truly believe it influenced the dip in my PT scores. That and school starting up. I hit three 169s (I dropped solodyn)..then a few 170s, a few 173s, and my last four PTs have been 173 177 174 176. I have 4 PTs remaining and hope to peak on my very last PT, pt 67.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:25 am

I noticed you said 2 months left, are you studying for December?

If so you absolutely have enough time if you put in the consistent effort. One interesting thing I picked up from a June taker (elterrible) was to chart my average PT score vs. my individual PT scores. Like him, I noticed that my average crept up at a slow pace, but there was a lot less variance about my scores which I see as progress.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:29 am

chadbrochill wrote:I noticed you said 2 months left, are you studying for December?

If so you absolutely have enough time if you put in the consistent effort. One interesting thing I picked up from a June taker (elterrible) was to chart my average PT score vs. my individual PT scores. Like him, I noticed that my average crept up at a slow pace, but there was a lot less variance about my scores which I see as progress.
Yes I'm studying for December. Didn't think I'd be ready by October and won't be applying until next Fall anyways, wanted to give myself 3 attempts at it before applying. I'm hoping I haven't just reached a plateau.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:34 am

o
Last edited by toothbrush on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:15 am

toothbrush wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:I noticed you said 2 months left, are you studying for December?

Yes I'm studying for October. Didn't think I'd be ready by October and won't be applying until next Fall anyways, wanted to give myself 3 attempts at it before applying. I'm hoping I haven't just reached a plateau.
I feel like you're confused as to when you're taking =P You said you are studying for Oct but I think you meant Dec.

If Dec, you're fine to hit 175+. If Oct, if you're in 170 range you may still peak at 175+, if not, it's prob a bit late.
Whoops yea, I meant December. I'll edit.

Partially Deaf

New

Post by Partially Deaf » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:30 am

How long have you guys been studying for?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:57 am

Me... since late may? I took a month and a half off in between now and then because I decided I wasn't taking the October test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:19 am

Are you applying for Fall 2013?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Yes I am. Doing it that way helps me raise my GPA past a potential GPA floor, lets me get some travel in (I've never traveled and really want to before starting the law thing), lets me clear up some financial problems that I will run into applying for grants, etc etc.

VUSisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by VUSisterRayVU » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Yes I am. Doing it that way helps me raise my GPA past a potential GPA floor, lets me get some travel in (I've never traveled and really want to before starting the law thing), lets me clear up some financial problems that I will run into applying for grants, etc etc.
You're applying DURING Fall 13 FOR Fall 14, I think?

Anyway, you're fine dude.

expelliarmus

New

Post by expelliarmus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:58 am

I feel the Games session can be very inconsistent, but I consistently get the same scores for LR and RC.
And the Games session can be learned through constant practice, so I don't see why you cannot do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Yes applying IN fall 2013 FOR fall 2014 lol. As you can see I'm terrible at reading comp lol.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Little update: Hit my first 175 the other day (PT 59), followed and proceeded by a pair of 174s. Hoping upward trend continues for the next month! Be nice to hit a 180 or 2 before test day.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:47 pm

They should sell LSAT steroids that stimulate your brain cells and make you capable of overperforming on the test.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:36 am

DaRascal wrote:They should sell LSAT steroids that stimulate your brain cells and make you capable of overperforming on the test.
They do. They are called adderral.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 pm

You all seem to score consistently high on PTs. How are you prepping for LR questions? better yet, how do you review incorrect answers? I feel like whatever I'm doing isn't working.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 pm

griffin.811 wrote:You all seem to score consistently high on PTs. How are you prepping for LR questions? better yet, how do you review incorrect answers? I feel like whatever I'm doing isn't working.
I probably should review LR in a more thorough manner (reviewing questions you got right but had to choose between 2) but generally I just review the ones I got wrong. What I do to review is write in the open space on the page why the answer is right and why it is wrong. Most importantly, you just can't let it go without figuring out why it was wrong and why you got it wrong. Your explanations you write down (I write them down because it helps me solidify the reasoning skills needed) need to completely evaluate the CR was right and why the wrong answer was wrong. By doing this I consistently score well on LR but I'd like to be doing just a little better by test time. Average -2 to -3 per PT on LR right now, which is 1 or 2 wrong per section.

I'm actually still trailing 175 for the most part though... I've scored several 174s (last 6 test average is 173.5), pretty scary consistent actually. It's a good score to be consistent, but like many here I'd like it to be a bit higher, I really want at least a 176.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:05 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:You all seem to score consistently high on PTs. How are you prepping for LR questions? better yet, how do you review incorrect answers? I feel like whatever I'm doing isn't working.
I probably should review LR in a more thorough manner (reviewing questions you got right but had to choose between 2) but generally I just review the ones I got wrong. What I do to review is write in the open space on the page why the answer is right and why it is wrong. Most importantly, you just can't let it go without figuring out why it was wrong and why you got it wrong. Your explanations you write down (I write them down because it helps me solidify the reasoning skills needed) need to completely evaluate the CR was right and why the wrong answer was wrong. By doing this I consistently score well on LR but I'd like to be doing just a little better by test time. Average -2 to -3 per PT on LR right now, which is 1 or 2 wrong per section.

I'm actually still trailing 175 for the most part though... I've scored several 174s (last 6 test average is 173.5), pretty scary consistent actually. It's a good score to be consistent, but like many here I'd like it to be a bit higher, I really want at least a 176.
Honestly, if you're hitting in that range consistently, you have less to worry about than those that peak higher but are swinging more. You still have plenty of time to fix your weaknesses, just make 173 your floor and you'll rest easy come December.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:

So how do you account for the time constraints you will face on the test? Do you time a section and go through it regularly first, then after time is up write why questions were correct in the margins? Or do you go through regularaly timed, and only for the answers you got wrong write out why the correct answer was indeed correct and why the other choices were incorrect?

I am currrently drilling assumption questions, and for every question im writting why the correct answer is such and same for each of the wrong choices. Just wondering how to incorporate the time factor while drilling.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”