Elimination bias

kaseyb002

Elimination bias

Postby kaseyb002 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:46 pm

I had suspected I may have been doing this, but I found a very interesting insight while looking back through some old PT's. For all questions of 15 and below (the easier ones), whenever I get one wrong, literally 90% (from analyzing about 15 old tests) of the time the correct answers comes AFTER my answer in the order I read them.

As an example, if you read the AC's from A to E in that order, you may find when you are making "dumb mistakes" that you more often select the wrong answer that comes BEFORE the correct answer. So the ones you get wrong are more likely to be the ones where the correct answers are D or E than A or B.

The obvious reason for this seems to be is liking an answer choice that comes to you first, and then looking for any reason to convince yourself that the rest are wrong, or an elimination bias. I am very guilty of this. Just thought I would throw this out there in case any one else was still trying to figure out why the keep making "dumb mistakes"; this may help.

RCinDNA

Re: Elimination bias

Postby RCinDNA » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 pm

FWIW PowerScore's approach is to have test takers internalize the need to read and consider every single answer choice before selecting an answer just so they don't fall into a trick answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”