LR Question Help, Please Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
girlmonster

Bronze

LR Question Help, Please

Post by girlmonster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 am

For the first time in my LSAT studying, I honestly don't know why I got this question wrong.

PT 57, Section 2, Question 12.

The correct answer is D. I actually considered it, and can see why it's a good choice. However, it seems B is a more necessary assumption. Mainly it is not as strongly worded as D and it passes the negation test. D seems more like a "strengthen" answer in comparison.

Thank you! And sorry if this has already been explained elsewhere. I've spent some time trying to find an explanation, but to no avail.

Cerebro

Bronze

Re: LR Question Help, Please

Post by Cerebro » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 am

Read more closely. AC B just speaks to their awareness, but AC D directly connects the premise (the goal of criminal organizations is to generate profits) to the conclusion (criminal organizations will TRY to become involved in technology revolutions).

Although I see your point that, presumably, an awareness of something is necessary in order to try it, but that awareness is not sufficient for them to do so; whereas AC D specifically indicates that the main goal of criminal organizations is sufficient for them to try something that will enable them to meet that goal. Moreover, I think the scope of AC B doesn't match with the stimulus. Stimulus says "Most" and AC B only says "at least some", so this does not allow me to conclude without doubt that criminal organizations in general will or will not do something.

ETA: Cleaned up some grammar and spelling issues -- was typing on my android phone :shock:
Last edited by Cerebro on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:51 am

Thank you, that makes perfect sense the way you explained it, particularly regarding sufficiency versus necessity. I guess I'm used to going for the "bare minimum" when it comes to assumption questions.

ncc5

New

Post by ncc5 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 am

You really should try to think of them as two separate (though related) question types. One requires an AC that is necessary, another one that is sufficient. It's all in the question stem.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:40 am

girlmonster wrote:Thank you, that makes perfect sense the way you explained it, particularly regarding sufficiency versus necessity. I guess I'm used to going for the "bare minimum" when it comes to assumption questions.
If the difference between sufficient and necessary isnt crystal clear for you, read mlsat lr guide. 10 bucks for the kindle version is well worth it.

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks, y'all! The confusion's probably stemming from the amount of time that has passed since I focused on assumption questions. I've gone through the LRB as well as Princeton Review's Cracking The LSAT, but I think I'm going to get back into drilling specific question types this last week before the test, to re-familiarize myself. I take the test on Saturday, but if I end up re-taking it in December (which seems likely), I'm definitely going to invest in Manhattan guides.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread for all your help. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”