What to bring for test day?

lawschool2014hopeful

What to bring for test day?

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:13 am

Hi hi,

I was wondering what are some "necessary" items I should bring for test day (excluding the official documents/passport and such)

So far I have

4 sharpened pencils
1 dull pencil
1 pencil sharpener
1 eraser
1 bottle of water (can I bring coffe/energy drink here instead)?
2 powerbars/protein/perhaps some caffeine in them
1 ziplock bag to put them all in.

Am I missing anything critical?

gaud

Re: What to bring for test day?

Postby gaud » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 am

I had no problem bringing a 5-hour Energy in my bag.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:41 am

o
Last edited by toothbrush on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 am

Are pens kosher? I've been using red ink on LG's to make the rules and permanent info distinguishable from my work on the problems.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 am

Zensack wrote:Are pens kosher? I've been using red ink on LG's to make the rules and permanent info distinguishable from my work on the problems.

nope

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Zensack wrote:Are pens kosher? I've been using red ink on LG's to make the rules and permanent info distinguishable from my work on the problems.

You're allowed to bring in one highlighter pen but not ballpoint or fountain pens.
LSAC doesn't have a rule about highlighter colors so a red one should be fine, or a green one, or a yellow one, or an orange one.

If you're in the habit of using a red ballpoint pen as part of your strategy solving logic games timed, you better break yourself of the habit pretty darn quick otherwise you'll have to suddenly adapt to a new routine on test day when the pressure is on.

If you go with a highlighter make sure it is a low ink type and try it out on a newspaper before test day to make sure it doesn't soak the paper with tons of ink that bleeds through and makes the paper soggy so that a chunk of the paper can easily rip out while you're writing on it. The test booklet is printed on really thin flimsy recycled newsprint paper that is even thinner than what most newspapers are printed on.
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:19 pm

jimmierock wrote:Hi hi,

I was wondering what are some "necessary" items I should bring for test day (excluding the official documents/passport and such)

So far I have

4 sharpened pencils
1 dull pencil
1 pencil sharpener
1 eraser

Why bring a dull pencil? Is it to make bubbling faster?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Cerebro wrote:

So far I have

4 sharpened pencils
1 dull pencil
1 pencil sharpener
1 eraser

Why bring a dull pencil? Is it to make bubbling faster?

A dull/rounded pencil head helps make bubbling go faster and easier.

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Jeffort wrote:

You're allowed to bring in one highlighter pen but not ballpoint or fountain pens.
LSAC doesn't have a rule about highlighter colors so a red one should be fine, or a green one, or a yellow one, or an orange one.

If you're in the habit of using a red ballpoint pen as part of your strategy solving logic games timed, you better break yourself of the habit pretty darn quick otherwise you'll have to suddenly adapt to a new routine on test day when the pressure is on.

If you go with a highlighter make sure it is a low ink type and try it out on a newspaper before test day to make sure it doesn't soak the paper with tons of ink that bleeds through and makes the paper soggy so that a chunk of the paper can easily rip out while you're writing on it. The test booklet is printed on really thin flimsy recycled newsprint paper that is even thinner than what most newspapers are printed on.

Colored pencils? I need to write out formulas, not color the booklet fluorescent pink.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

So does my list look alright guys?

and has anyone else tried bringing energy drinks?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Zensack wrote:Colored pencils? I need to write out formulas, not color the booklet fluorescent pink.

The rules say only non-mechanical wooden #2 or HB pencils are allowed.
I think that rules out colored pencils since they are not those types. I doubt a proctor would notice if you brought a colored one in, but don't risk getting turned away at the door when you are prepped and ready to take the test. LSAC has gotten much more strict with test day security in the last few years.

If you finish a section early, coloring parts of the booklet fluorescent pink with a highlighter could be fun. They don't grade what you mark in the test book, just what's on the bubble sheet.

jimmierock wrote:So does my list look alright guys?

and has anyone else tried bringing energy drinks?

Your list looks good, you have the bases covered. Energy drinks are fine as long as it is not in an aluminum can.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test.asp
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 05062014 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:38 pm

What if I love h2o and can't fit multiple bottles of it in a single ziplock bag?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:50 pm

abdistotle wrote:What if I love h2o and can't fit multiple bottles of it in a single ziplock bag?

Then you'll avoid having to pee like a racehorse in the middle of section #5. :wink:

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Zensack wrote:Colored pencils? I need to write out formulas, not color the booklet fluorescent pink.

The rules say only non-mechanical wooden #2 or HB pencils are allowed.
I think that rules out colored pencils since they are not those types. I doubt a proctor would notice if you brought a colored one in, but don't risk getting turned away at the door when you are prepped and ready to take the test. LSAC has gotten much more strict with test day security in the last few years.

This is just ridiculous. TTYL guys, making an emergency trip to Office Depot (do fine tip highlighters even exist?).

mowmissy

Postby mowmissy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 pm

There's always someone there who doesn't bring a large ziplock bag. Be the uber prepared one and stuff an extra in your bag!

As a multiple LSAT retaker... I usually like to bring: chapstick, my glasses, cloth wipes for glasses, tissues (my hands get sweaty when LSATing), my watch, hand sanitizer (tiny little bottle- the alcohol in it really dries out your hands, perfect for use right before you start the test, and starting section 4!), if you're having someone pick you up/drop off write down their phone number on a sticky note, elastic hair ties, passport and driver's license (my dl is still the pic from when I'm 15, so I just bring both forms of ID in case they don't like it), bring your LSAT # written down somewhere (I happened to write it in permanent pen on the front of my ziplock bag since this year they didn't do the tear-off strip thing like in prior administrations, so I didn't know where I would get my L# from). Snack, gum to chew for 15 minute break (freshness!!). Those are just the extras I can think of.. (ofc pencils and pencil sharpener too).

Good luck!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:32 pm

That is not a #2 or HB pencil, thus it is not included in the allowed test day items list. Even though it would probably go unnoticed during check-in, if a proctor notices it during the test you could get written up for violating the test day rules.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test.asp#allowed

People can call or email LSAC and ask them about colored pencils to verify, but the answer is already stated in the day-of-test rules (only wooden #2 or HB pencils). I wouldn't risk bringing one in since misconduct/test irregularity write-ups are included in the CAS report law schools receive with applications.
Last edited by Jeffort on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilhugsy24

Postby lilhugsy24 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 pm

So far I have

4 sharpened pencils
1 dull pencil
1 pencil sharpener
1 eraser

Bring a watch just in case there's no clock and screw the sharpener and just bring a dozen pencils. Not like you're gonna have time to sharpen pencils while taking the test anyways.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 pm

I brought a lot of that stuff, but also energy gel (GU for the runners) instead of a power/protein bar. Was probably the best thing I did. Just make sure you try it during a PT to make sure you don't get the jitters. 8)
And don't forget to layer--it's a test, not a fashion show.
Good luck!

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Just don't be like a guy at my test center who came in with only a freshly purchased pack of mechanical pencils from office depot, then act defensively when they get confiscated.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Honey_Badger wrote:I brought a lot of that stuff, but also energy gel (GU for the runners) instead of a power/protein bar. Was probably the best thing I did. Just make sure you try it during a PT to make sure you don't get the jitters. 8)
And don't forget to layer--it's a test, not a fashion show.
Good luck!

Thanks that looks perfect.

tectonic

Postby tectonic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:43 am

I have a question about eyeglasses.

I occasionally use glasses to see things that are a bit far from me (example: text on a whiteboard, if it is more than 15 feet away or so). I don't use them for reading. I'd like to take my glasses with me in to the test center. I would feel more comfortable having them.

I am not wearing glasses in either my ID photo or my admission ticket photo.

Should I forget about bringing them? Bring them in my Ziploc? Tuck them in to my shirt? I'm assuming that wearing them as I check-in is a bad idea if I'm not wearing them in my photos. Will the proctors have a problem if I bust them out once I'm in my seat?

I'm very well aware this is an irritatingly OCD question to ask. Last time I took the LSAT (didn't have glasses then), I saw proctors confiscating water bottles that had too many ounces and turning students away if their admission ticket had any kind of non-100%-plain background. The last thing I want is to be turned away over some technicality.

TomThompson

Postby TomThompson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 am

Love this forum. Never thought of bringing a dull pencil to make bubbling easier. I was just planning to bring 10-15 highly sharpened but slightly used pencils. I can definitely see myself snapping multiple leads due to nerves.

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 am

i like bringing supplements. i generally take a shit ton of vitamins each day especially if i don't expect to have time to get in certain kinds of foods and expect to be stressed. id bring tylenol and a b vitamin but def don't experiment with pills on test day.

just bring the pills loose. they don't ask what you're bringing.

nikkoo

Postby nikkoo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 am

Hello, I had no problem bringing a 5-hour Energy in my bag

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”