2 weeks till test time, scores declining with each practice.

primetime777

2 weeks till test time, scores declining with each practice.

Postby primetime777 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm starting to panic a lot and it is very frustrating. I do not get what is going on, I study a few hours every day doing games(untimed getting most of them right), go to the classes and extra extreme classes, but after each practice, I feel really confident, even finishing each section with a few minutes to spare, but I am declining 1 point each test? Given my weakest section was RC from 20% on T1, 30% t2, to 70% t3 went up significantly, my LG stayed the same 70%, 65%, 65%, my LR is going down faster than the economy. 50, 40, and 33. What is ironic is that I work on LG and LR the most and RC seems to be the only thing improving? Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to further improve? Just keep taking practice tests? or Start timing my self on a strict 8-9 minute per game while practicing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate, otherwise it seems that the only Law School I am getting into with my high 140's is somewhere in PR. :(

RodneyRuxin

Re: 2 weeks till test time, scores declining with each practice.

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Triage LG. That (generally) means doing the easiest first so you can blow through them and use the rest of the time on the hardest section. This is where the strict 8-9 minutes doesn't help as much.

Also, if you're just constantly taking practice tests, your scores will go down. You are experiencing burnout which results in a lack of focus.

Panic only lowers your score. I promise. Take 1 to 2 texts (max) a week. Slow down. --best advice I can give. I saw the Lion King in 3D the night before the real LSAT and I had one of my best scores the next day.

When you force your mind to constantly work, it gets tired. Let it rest for a day--or if you must do casual practice problems and enjoy them. Think of it at a game that you're winning, stop thinking of it as a big deal (it will cause panic and be counterproductive).

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:27 pm

You are getting them all right untimed, but not timed?

If you can get them all right with some extra time, but only 1/3 right if you do them all, cut out a section! Better to get 3/4 of the questions right skipping a section than to get 1/3 of the questions right trying to make "educated" guesses on everything. (Do remember to fill in all the bubbles on the actual test though. You'll get a few free points.)

Make sure you understand what you did wrong on every question. I always grade my PTs in another color pen and if I get a question wrong, I write a note at the bottom correcting what I did wrong. ("Read the WHOLE question!" "Compare to the rules first!" "Double check your inferences!") Then I can go back and see if I'm consistently doing the same thing wrong.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:29 pm

TripTrip wrote:You are getting them all right untimed, but not timed?

If you can get them all right with some extra time, but only 1/3 right if you do them all, cut out a section! Better to get 3/4 of the questions right skipping a section than to get 1/3 of the questions right trying to make "educated" guesses on everything. (Do remember to fill in all the bubbles on the actual test though. You'll get a few free points.)

Make sure you understand what you did wrong on every question. I always grade my PTs in another color pen and if I get a question wrong, I write a note at the bottom correcting what I did wrong. ("Read the WHOLE question!" "Compare to the rules first!" "Double check your inferences!") Then I can go back and see if I'm consistently doing the same thing wrong.

To expand, note why you didn't choose the right answer, but also why you fell for the wrong one (kind of unnecessary for LG)

primetime777

Postby primetime777 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:43 pm

I think one of my biggest setbacks is endurance. I've noticed, whatever test is first, I usually score the best, and the ones toward the end are significantly lower on each PT.

I even made a silly mistake on one of my LG today bc it was towards the end, I wrote a V but since it was sloppy it looked like an L in my master sketch and caused me to do the entire section wrong, bleh. Is there any way to build up the endurance in such a short time without burning myself out? Dropping 1 point each PT is a worrying factor, but I suppose I can't really complain since everyone else in my class is fluctuating between 10-15 points between tests, but they score much higher than I do. :(

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 pm

primetime777 wrote:I think one of my biggest setbacks is endurance. I've noticed, whatever test is first, I usually score the best, and the ones toward the end are significantly lower on each PT.

I even made a silly mistake on one of my LG today bc it was towards the end, I wrote a V but since it was sloppy it looked like an L in my master sketch and caused me to do the entire section wrong, bleh. Is there any way to build up the endurance in such a short time without burning myself out? Dropping 1 point each PT is a worrying factor, but I suppose I can't really complain since everyone else in my class is fluctuating between 10-15 points between tests, but they score much higher than I do. :(

You don't sound ready to take this test. I'd seriously consider cancelling asap (I believe this won't show up on your LSAT record if done way ahead of time--look it up if you're worried about it) and taking the test in December.
This test has a huge impact on your future and you have to give yourself adequate time to study for it.

Note: If you take it in December, have EVERYTHING (and I mean the entire electronic application, addenda, LORs (in and assigned to schools), diversity questions, personal statement, etc etc) ready to go. That way, when you get the result you can ship your app off immediately. Yes, this does put you at a slight disadvantage (you'll likely miss the first wave of acceptances/early acceptances) but the test means much, much more.

PPS: If you think you are in fact ready, use the forum search function for "endurance" or "endurance problems" etc. You don't have the option of taking a bunch of practice tests in a row. They NEED to be spaced out or you will burn out; but there may be some other advice already out there (ie some people chew caffeinated/nicotine gum to get over addiction problems that cause endurance issues).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”