Withdraw or just take it in October? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jackson724

New

Withdraw or just take it in October?

Post by jackson724 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 pm

So, like an idiot I missed the date change deadline for the October LSAT. My PT's haven't been where I want them to be so I had decided to change to December.

The problem I now have is I can either withdraw or take it in 2 weeks and then again in December. Which one is preferable? Will law schools see that I withdrew and will that hurt my score? I have no reason to believe my score won't go up between October and December, but I don't know if that means I should take it in October.

What should I do?

Cerebro

Bronze

Re: Withdraw or just take it in October?

Post by Cerebro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Are you feeling lucky?

jackson724

New

Post by jackson724 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Cerebro wrote:Are you feeling lucky?
Not particularly.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:10 pm

law schools do not care at all if you withdraw ahead of time. In fact, I don't think they even know

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:11 pm

jackson724 wrote:
Cerebro wrote:Are you feeling lucky?
Not particularly.
I think that whether you withdraw or not depends on the schools you intend to apply to. I also think it depends on how far you are from your target score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jackson724

New

Post by jackson724 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:law schools do not care at all if you withdraw ahead of time. In fact, I don't think they even know
How sure are you on that? If they don't see it then there's no issue, I'll withdraw. My PTs are about 10 points off where I want my score to be and I'll need a solid LSAT score to compensate for my mediocre GPA.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 pm

jackson724 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:law schools do not care at all if you withdraw ahead of time. In fact, I don't think they even know
How sure are you on that? If they don't see it then there's no issue, I'll withdraw. My PTs are about 10 points off where I want my score to be and I'll need a solid LSAT score to compensate for my mediocre GPA.
I will agree with JMJ. The law schools will, quite frankly, not give a shit if you withdraw. A cancel, on the other hand... they may care about that.

jackson724

New

Post by jackson724 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Alright I went ahead and withdrew. Thanks

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:58 pm

jackson724 wrote:
From the LSAC website:
Once the Test Date Change and LSAT Registration Refunds deadlines have passed, you will find an option to withdraw your registration in the LSAT Status section of your LSAC online account. You may withdraw your registration up until 11:59 pm (ET) the night before the test. There will be no refund for this option. Please note that if you miss the Withdraw LSAT Registration - No Refund deadline, your LSAC file will note "absent." This is NOT a score of zero, nor will it be factored into any reportable scores on file. If you register for another test date, you will be required to pay the full registration fee.
They don't report the score if you withdraw by the night before the test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:40 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
jackson724 wrote:
From the LSAC website:
Once the Test Date Change and LSAT Registration Refunds deadlines have passed, you will find an option to withdraw your registration in the LSAT Status section of your LSAC online account. You may withdraw your registration up until 11:59 pm (ET) the night before the test. There will be no refund for this option. Please note that if you miss the Withdraw LSAT Registration - No Refund deadline, your LSAC file will note "absent." This is NOT a score of zero, nor will it be factored into any reportable scores on file. If you register for another test date, you will be required to pay the full registration fee.
They don't report the score if you withdraw by the night before the test.
thanks, this is what I was referring to.
RE cancels: most schools don't care about 1 cancel, but seem to question more than 1.

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Im with OP, pulling out of October as far as that being my serious attempt. Still debating taking the test and then canceling though, just to get a strong feel for test day conditions. Any input on this idea?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Funkycrime wrote:Im with OP, pulling out of October as far as that being my serious attempt. Still debating taking the test and then canceling though, just to get a strong feel for test day conditions. Any input on this idea?
Sounds like what I'm doing. I'm close to my goal, so I'm either hoping that a) I can get there by test day through practice or b) I will score at my goal (though unlikely). Either way, I want a feel to the test. It helps me to know that this test isn't hit or miss since December is still an option.

nick_scheu

New

Post by nick_scheu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm in the same boat. Registered for October, but considering withdrawing and doing December. I'm going to keep prepping until October 5 and see how I'm doing. No sense in making a decision now--the money is gone either way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:52 pm

My highest has been a 166 on a generously curved PT, so unless number creeps up to 169ish, I'm out. I feel like going into October with this mindset would be pretty relaxing though, so who knows what could happen once the test is in front of us.

nick_scheu

New

Post by nick_scheu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 pm

My current range is 167-173ish, but I'm finding I tend to do better on more recent tests (I started on PT40 and am on 56 now, but I just did 38 and 39 because I'm running out of new PTs).

I'd like to get a range more like 172-176 by the time I take the real thing.

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:09 pm

What's your goal? I haven't hit mine yet, but your scores are respectable enough to just take the test it seems.

nick_scheu

New

Post by nick_scheu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm

180. :D

Realistically, I want a score good enough to get into somewhere T14+UCLA/USC (I live in California). I was a transfer into UC Berkeley and have a 3.8 among the units I've completed here, but my LSAC GPA will be way lower--3.45 or so--because of some crappy units at a private four-year in '06-'07. So my LSAT score will be huge in getting me in to a solid law school.

I think I'd be in decent shape for the bottom half of the T14 (plus the other two good CA schools) with a 172.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 pm

UC transfer here too (LA). I think we would be smart to wait it out until we are satisfied with our PT scores, but I think you might suprise yourself if you just go in strong on October.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm in the same boat. Have hit target score a few times, but my average is 3-4 points lower than where I need to be. I think I need to take this test regardless just to get over my nerves for the retake. Withdrawing and taking it at another time would double the (mental) pressure, I think.

Is this a bad idea? Do schools have to report the lowest of your LSATs to US News? My GPA sucks if that makes a difference.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Can I ask why anyone would withdraw without refund instead of taking the test and subsequently cancelling?

I tend to think most would agree that a withdraw looks the same as an absence which looks the same as a cancel. Is this wrong?

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Funkycrime wrote:Im with OP, pulling out of October as far as that being my serious attempt. Still debating taking the test and then canceling though, just to get a strong feel for test day conditions. Any input on this idea?
Don't take it if you're just going to cancel.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm

I was under the impression that a cancel looks bad, but not as bad as a terrible score. Withdraw is nothing because it doesn't show up.

I need some advice here—averaging 3 points lower than I need, but I have hit my target score a handful of times. Is it that terrible to have a 166/167 on my record, and then plan on a retake for better? Or should I withdraw? My fear is that by withdrawing I will hype the deferred test up in my mind and lose it to pressure.

Heavy testing this week may help a tiny bit.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:09 pm

objection_your_honor wrote: Heavy testing this week may help a tiny bit.
Or it could lead to a burnout. A lot of people score lower on test day than they do on PT averages due to nerves, the test actually being real, etc.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:16 pm

This is actually a ramp down from what it's been. I've also taken the whole week off from work (no more 7PM tests after working all day). Feeling pretty mentally stable and charged up for this.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:18 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:This is actually a ramp down from what it's been. I've also taken the whole week off from work (no more 7PM tests after working all day). Feeling pretty mentally stable and charged up for this.
Then take the fucking test and don't ask for validation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”