PT1 156 When should I shoot to take the LSAT?

yellowjacketgirl
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 am

PT1 156 When should I shoot to take the LSAT?

Postby yellowjacketgirl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:28 am

Hey y'all, so I just took my very first practice test cold turkey. Never looked at a problem before. Anyway, here is my score breakdown. A bit disappointed as I am very competitive with my brother who scored right around me the first time around. I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course that begins in about two weeks.

When should I shoot to take the actual exam and what kind of improvements do you think I could see?
I go to Georgia Tech and I'm a third year with a 3.2 GPA. I know, not fantastic but the school is hard, as is my major. :/

16/23 LG
17/25 LR
15/25 LR
19/27 RC
--------
156

Time isn't an issue for me, I finished every section with 5-7 minutes to spare each but I didn't look over any of my answers. I wanted to see my score from first instincts. Definitely think I could have done better on the LG section.

User avatar
Cerebro
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: PT1 156 When should I shoot to take the LSAT?

Postby Cerebro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:37 am

yellowjacketgirl wrote:I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course that begins in about two weeks.


Is it too late to get a refund on the registration fee for your Kaplan course?

The general consensus around here seems to be that Kaplan sucks, and my own experience confirms that their material is mediocre at best. If you are trying to achieve 170+ (which seems necessary, given your 3.2 GPA), you would probably benefit more from Manhattan, Powerscore, or Blueprint courses and/or materials (i.e., anything but Kaplan). I have found self-study with Powerscore and Manhattan books to be much more useful than what I got from the Kaplan material.
Last edited by Cerebro on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowjacketgirl
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 am

Re: PT1 156 When should I shoot to take the LSAT?

Postby yellowjacketgirl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks for your concern, I've read the reviews. Frankly though I am in it for the convenience as it is in walking distance from my current residence and I prefer something that requires me to be physically present as opposed to online courses. I have the Powerscore bibles for self study as well.

In all honesty I'm not sure what I am looking for but Law school is kind of my second choice. I would prefer to have a score good enough to get me in somewhere decent. I also have a good 4 semesters left of school and all my difficult courses are more or less behind me so I don't doubt that my GPA will be higher by the time I am applying.

I want to know what a good test date would be for a slower, consistent studying pace. I'm very busy what with work, school, and other involvements so I couldn't imagine doing a couple month power sesh. I just need to know if I am looking at 5-6 months or 8-9.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

User avatar
Cerebro
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: PT1 156 When should I shoot to take the LSAT?

Postby Cerebro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 am

yellowjacketgirl wrote:I just need to know if I am looking at 5-6 months or 8-9.


You could probably make either time frame work, so if I were you, I'd select whichever one is most convenient. :wink:

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: PT1 156 When should I shoot to take the LSAT?

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:27 am

Do not take Kaplan. Take an online course or just self study. Kaplan is throwing money away.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: PT1 156 When should I shoot to take the LSAT?

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am

yellowjacketgirl wrote:Thanks for your concern, I've read the reviews. Frankly though I am in it for the convenience as it is in walking distance from my current residence and I prefer something that requires me to be physically present as opposed to online courses. I have the Powerscore bibles for self study as well.

In all honesty I'm not sure what I am looking for but Law school is kind of my second choice. I would prefer to have a score good enough to get me in somewhere decent. I also have a good 4 semesters left of school and all my difficult courses are more or less behind me so I don't doubt that my GPA will be higher by the time I am applying.

I want to know what a good test date would be for a slower, consistent studying pace. I'm very busy what with work, school, and other involvements so I couldn't imagine doing a couple month power sesh. I just need to know if I am looking at 5-6 months or 8-9.

Thanks for your suggestions though.


I think you should cancel you registration with Kaplan and watch this 5-part video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2gvnPTHvH8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ8coYqbij0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEstz3jCUnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVh3sDwIJ-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKxqB0OazY

Law school isn't something you dabble in because you don't have anything better to do, and the LSAT is also something you don't dabble in in your spare time. It's a serious test that requires a serious time commitment to score well (often 300+ study hours).

Well over half the newly minted lawyers can't find good legal jobs, and many that do still have trouble paying off the six-figure, high-interest, non-dischargeable debt they accrue. And if I may be so bold, that you're willing to dump $1000 into a kaplan course because it's "convenient" tells me that you don't even pay for your own expenses yet and so don't have a true concept of what money actually costs to acquire.

If you can't be troubled to do your due diligence on what it takes to score well and just how terrible of an idea it is to half-ass the LSAT and dive into enormous debt, then you are sure to be making a huge financial mistake while you finish growing up.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, bearedman8, jagerbom79 and 19 guests