How would you do it from China ? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hallbd16

New

How would you do it from China ?

Post by hallbd16 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:05 pm

First post here, though I have been lurking a bit. Big thanks to the TLS community for great advice and support, hopefully I can contribute.

So I am am American living in China right now and am afforded ample study time opportunity. I am planning on taking the December test and shooting for a 170+, ideally 175+. I am a repeat test taker, took it a couple years ago with moderate prep and got a 163. Taking it much more seriously this time. Since I began a full study load one month ago --25-30 hours/week following Pithypike's study guide-- I have improved from a 160 to 165 to 167 on PTs.

I am limited in material access because I live in China. So far I have been able to get LG PSB, LR PSB, PTs 10-66 and the SuperPreps. I can also get access to the Manhattan series and the Kaplan 180 over here, though not the Kaplan Mastery or the Cambridge bundles. Instead of Kaplan' Mastery book or the Cambridge bundle, I am using the comprehensive LR lists posted on TLS and working through the PSR and corresponding questions in PT 10-39. I am saving PTs 40-48ish for drilling on timing next month in addition to Pithy's other recommendation, and the 49-66/A,B,C SP for PTs for practice tests (will have to split 3ish up to make 5 section tests)

1. Does this seem like a good use of material? If not let me know how you would use the material.
2. Should I be saving drilling material for going over the last month? Ie don't drill 10-19 and save that for the last month in case I need to review a certain question type.
3. Would you recommend incorporating the Manhattan books? If you were to incorporate the Manhattan books into my/Pithypike's plan).
4. Am I missing out by not having the Kaplan Mastery or Cambridge Bundles?
5. I am currently taking one PT a week and reviewing, though Pithy's schedule does not suggest this. Thoughts on this strategy or is it not worth the use of valuable materials if I have not gone through the Bibles yet?
6. Any other suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Relevant info on:
For LR- I am -2 to -4 right now. My biggest weakness is PR now and when stimulus / answer choice language doesn't match (ie one is complicated verbose language and the other is simple straightforward)
For LG- I am following Pithypike's guide for LG too, though seems straightforward and I have no questions about it. Recent PT was at -2
For RC- I guess I am like everyone else... trying to narrow down my strategies by doing x3 RC a week. Normally -0 to -5 on PT... recently got a -0, felt great, then followed by a -4. Honestly have no great plan for improving this other than getting my system down and improving consistency...

PS- I realize my PT sample set is small, and my focus is still drilling by question type/ LG type right now, but thought I would put all info out.

Appreciate any advice, and thanks again for the great community.
To those taking the October test, good luck.
Last edited by hallbd16 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VUSisterRayVU

Bronze

Re: How would you do it from China ?

Post by VUSisterRayVU » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

Do what you're doing. You do not have a dearth of materials; you're using what most people on TLS in the USA use. I would read through the PS Bibles and do the work in them ahead of schedule and use MLSAT to supplement them in the last 6-8 weeks or so. MLSAT for LGs is superior but I had the base of PS LGB. The LR Bible is pretty 180 but I only used MLSATLR for a few pages so I can't judge it as a whole but I imagine it's as good.

unitball

New

Post by unitball » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 pm

A bit off topic, but are you going to take it in China or the US?

hallbd16

New

Post by hallbd16 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

unitball wrote:A bit off topic, but are you going to take it in China or the US?
I am going to be taking it in Shanghai in December. Expect the testing environment to be okay. Do you know anything about testing abroad?

unitball

New

Post by unitball » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 am

No I don't, but I was planning on being in China while I take the February LSAT. Was wondering if you had any trouble setting up an unofficial test center in Shanghai?

hallbd16

New

Post by hallbd16 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:10 am

unitball wrote:No I don't, but I was planning on being in China while I take the February LSAT. Was wondering if you had any trouble setting up an unofficial test center in Shanghai?
Sorry for the late response, no I haven't signed up yet... Probably will do that soon. I'll let you know if I do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”