characteristics of the right answers for MSS questions in LR

naillsat

characteristics of the right answers for MSS questions in LR

Postby naillsat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm

I finished drilling the Most Strongly Support LR question types from CambridgeLSAT, and overall I feel most of the right answer choices seem to have a common characteristic in the language: vague, ambiguous, or sort of wishy-washy, not big, limited scope. Unless the stimulus uses strong words like "any, all, everything, etc", the answer choices that have these strong words are mostly wrong.

In addition, I found characteristics for most of the wrong answers:

1. Unwarranted comparison between the two or multiple things mentioned in the stimulus (e.g. A is better than B)
2. Alleged proportional change between the things mentioned (e.g. more hypertensive temper gives rise to higher risk of heart attack)
3. Predictive answers (e.g. based on the most recent poll, Romney will win the election)
4. Proposed a solution (e.g. Pilots should avoid landing in foggy airports)

what do you guys find/think? MSS questions seemed to be the hardest to me.
Last edited by naillsat on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkycrime

Re: characteristics of the right answers for MSS questions in LR

Postby Funkycrime » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Your analysis seems to be pretty spot on. MSS are one of my strongest question types, and I think the key for me is taking them slow. I will very carefully read the stimulus in one scan, and then be sure to read EVERY answer choice. I used to jump at an appealing AC, many times (A) or (B), when reading on would have allowed me to find a choice with a much better fit.

bp shinners

Re: characteristics of the right answers for MSS questions in LR

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:16 pm

naillsat wrote:what do you guys find/think? MSS questions seemed to be the hardest to me.

Nailed it. These are all things that I tell my class.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”