LSAT and Final Exams

tabula rasa

LSAT and Final Exams

Postby tabula rasa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm debating over whether to take the December LSAT or the June 2013 LSAT. February would not be an ideal choice for me.

The June LSAT would give me the advantage of a having an extra six months to study. The disadvantage is that it falls during finals week of my last term of undergrad (my school is on the quarter system, hence the late finish). I could potentially be taking as many as four final exams that same week.

Is it a bad idea to take the LSAT at the same time as finals? I would probably have to stop studying for the LSAT about a week beforehand to focus solely on classes, and we don't have a "dead week" or a "reading period" like a lot of schools do where there's no class. My GPA right now is a 4.00, so maintaining an A average is absolutely my biggest priority.

On the other hand, I'm worried that nine weeks may not be enough time to study.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards December at the moment.

justonemoregame

Re: LSAT and Final Exams

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:48 pm

If you have the option of waiting until next cycle, there is always October. If you take June, but need a couple weeks off from LSAT study to focus on finals, that may actually be a good thing. Either way, you will have October, and you can get a break from school and WE b/w now and fall 2014.

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:03 pm

justonemoregame wrote:If you have the option of waiting until next cycle, there is always October.
I'd like to get the LSAT out of the way while I'm still in school/not working. October would really just be a retake option for me.
If you take June, but need a couple weeks off from LSAT study to focus on finals, that may actually be a good thing.
In what respect?

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: time off prior to June -- if you have been studying for June persistently for quite a long time, taking some time off from the LSAT before the real thing could possibly help. Some people have performed at their peak after a 3-5 days of doing nothing LSAT related. There was a thread about this a while ago, not sure what the title was.

Anyway, 9 weeks is a decent amount of time, so maybe December isn't a bad option. Sounds like you're willing to re-take if necessary; of course you can always monitor your progress along the way.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Have you considered not going straight from UG to law school?

There are a lot of great things you can do in between them (grad school, teaching English overseas, fulbright, world traveling/etc).

I spent two years in Korea and had a wonderful experience teaching English. You can apply for a fulbright to teach there and the acceptance rate is something like 30-60%... it's very high!

Just remember that once you go to law school you won't have as much (if any) time to do any kind of traveling or other pursuits while saddled with six-figure non-dischargeable debt.

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:33 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Have you considered not going straight from UG to law school?

There are a lot of great things you can do in between them (grad school, teaching English overseas, fulbright, world traveling/etc).

I spent two years in Korea and had a wonderful experience teaching English. You can apply for a fulbright to teach there and the acceptance rate is something like 30-60%... it's very high!

Just remember that once you go to law school you won't have as much (if any) time to do any kind of traveling or other pursuits while saddled with six-figure non-dischargeable debt.

As I implied earlier, I'm taking a year off after I graduate in June. And since I'd like to maximize my use of that time, I want to get the LSAT done before then.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Since the only options you are open to consider are December 2012 and June 2013, let's try a little logic to resolve this debate.

If you are able to prepare yourself adequately for December and are able to reach your target score, then take the test in December.

Otherwise, take the test in June.

/debate.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”