Suggestions on how to go about from this point.... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
esther0123

Bronze

Suggestions on how to go about from this point....

Post by esther0123 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:33 pm

I've been studying since Mid-May, and my diagnostics (cold! never even seen a single lsat Q before) was mid 140s. Right now, my most recent 5 average PTs are 165/83(raw). During those times, I had a full-time job along with other extracurricular activities, which really exhausted a lot of my time and energy. I feel like I've definitely underestimated the time and commitment required to improve a 140s to 170s.

I've taken about 27 preptests timed, and I've been seeing steady (but VERY slow) improvement overall. My weakest section is LG (0~-10), followed by RC (-2~-10) --both fairly inconsistent -- and LR's are pretty consistent (-6~-3 total). I still have most of PT56-66, PT34-40, PT1-18 untouched. My current LDAS gpa is 3.92, and given that I postpone LSAT until after graduation, I can see it rising up to 4.0 (my institution gives out A+s) + a completion of undergraduate thesis.

Do you think it's best I take June or October 2013, and what are my likelihood of getting 173+ if I were to take the exam then (supposing that I will not be touching LSAT material again until April... and having a few months completely devoted to LSAT studying)?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Re: Suggestions on how to go about from this point....

Post by LionelHutzJD » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:10 am

Well it looks like you're thinking about applying NEXT cycle. You've already seen great improvements so far. I say you take it this december. As long as you're in the groove right now then you might as well keep going and get this over with. Who knows if you're going to stay true to your excellent study regiment over the course of the next 10 months.

VUSisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by VUSisterRayVU » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:34 am

Take it in Feb or June so you can retake in June or Oct. If you'll study a lot and actually buckle down, then go for Dec, why not.

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:49 am

December just happens to be problematic just because it's overlapping with final exam season. And I didn't want to risk my final year gpa + making a gongshow of my thesis.... I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickle.. gah

And currently, I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from lsat-burn out. My score has been regressing and I'm feeling progressively discouraged, in contrast to my earlier prepdays when my score was relatively consistently improving. The strangest area is my LG where I used to score as best as 0-mistake, and now plummeted and fluctuating between -3~-8. Reading comprehension is also a wild card. I feel like undergraduate courses are rapidly increasing in pace as midterm season approaches, and it will be quite crazy come final exam time.

After months of no-lsat-prepping, does the progress tend to regress significantly? or does it usually stay roughly the same? Regressing on my progress is what worries me the most about postponing until after graduation..

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:36 am

esther0123 wrote:December just happens to be problematic just because it's overlapping with final exam season. And I didn't want to risk my final year gpa + making a gongshow of my thesis.... I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickle.. gah

And currently, I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from lsat-burn out. My score has been regressing and I'm feeling progressively discouraged, in contrast to my earlier prepdays when my score was relatively consistently improving. The strangest area is my LG where I used to score as best as 0-mistake, and now plummeted and fluctuating between -3~-8. Reading comprehension is also a wild card. I feel like undergraduate courses are rapidly increasing in pace as midterm season approaches, and it will be quite crazy come final exam time.

After months of no-lsat-prepping, does the progress tend to regress significantly? or does it usually stay roughly the same? Regressing on my progress is what worries me the most about postponing until after graduation..
I took some time off of studying and I was able to get back into form pretty quickly. Especially if you're suffering burn out, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking some time off and then going back at the grind again, as long as you have the time for such a break (which it looks like you do). That's just my experience though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm assuming with your GPA and your current score you're targeting HYS, which is smart. If you have never taken an official LSAT before, I agree with the poster that suggested to try to fit in three, Feb-->June--->Oct. If you're at a 165 now, especially with the one month off of school you'll get for winter break, you could very possibly break into the 174+ range from 165.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and pimp the Manhattan prep books and the LGB. If you've been around here, you certainly know about them, but I just want to emphasize they are worth the investment. Even getting -6 in LR means you have plenty of room to improve, and Manhattan can certainly help you there. Good luck and keep grinding, and enjoy HYS.

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Noodley, did you use manhattan RC?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm going through it now. RC was never a big problem for me so I never focused on it, but now that the rest of the test is tightening up, RC is my main weakness.

Funkycrime

Bronze

Post by Funkycrime » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:55 am

Yeah i feel you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”