BBA Accounting and an M.S. in Finance: good combo?

jdfiv

BBA Accounting and an M.S. in Finance: good combo?

Postby jdfiv » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 am

I am in the Professional Program of Accountants at Texas A&M. I have always wanted to go to law school (accounting is a necessary evil to differentiate myself) and I am now wondering how much this will actually set me apart. I am doing the five-year program in four years and I currently have a 3.82 GPA (as of my senior year, and I still have my graduate year). I will take the CPA and work in a big four accounting firm before I take the LSAT.

My question is: How much will this actually set me apart for admissions board? Does it all still rely on my LSAT score?
Last edited by jdfiv on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCinDNA

Re: BBA Accounting and an M.S. in Finance: good combo?

Postby RCinDNA » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi there: I think you should post your question in the Law School Admissions Forum http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2, where issues like that are the main focus of the advice and discussion. You may get some great advice there since that is the main thrust of that forum.

Your LSAT score is very important, but GPA, work experience and prior certificates or degrees of higher education factor into the equation, as well, to make you more competitive. That said, if you have any interest in international law, tax law and/or mergers/acquisitions, your GPA plus your certification and eventual on-the-job experience would do a lot to show that you have the knowledge to hit the ground running in a specialized field and increase your job prospects. Definitely ask in the other forum as you may need to discuss further in order to get a realistic idea of the timeline you would be dealing with.

jdfiv

Re: BBA Accounting and an M.S. in Finance: good combo?

Postby jdfiv » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I will do that, thank you!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”