Test date change count as one of your 3 in two years?

kky215

Test date change count as one of your 3 in two years?

Postby kky215 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi,

I am registered for October 2012 test, but I honestly do not think that I am ready to take the LSAT yet, and would like to push the date back to Feb 2013.

Since the test date change deadline is not yet passed, (Sept 14) I have two options.

1) Cancel October 2012 LSAT, get a refund, and register for Feb 2013. --> will this option leave a stigma (ie: cancellation on my report)
2) Pay ~$80 and change the test date to Feb 2013.

Which option should I choose?
Does changing your test date before the deadline count toward my limit of three LSATs in two years, or does it leave a stigma?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

francesfarmer

Re: Test date change count as one of your 3 in two years?

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am

Relax. There is no stigma and it doesn't count.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 am

As long as you do not show up to the test center on test day and check in it does not count against the three times in two years rule. That rule applies to and only counts instances when you actually show up and sit for the test.

There is no stigma attached to changing your test date or cancelling/withdrawing your LSAT registration before test day.

Information about that is not included in your CAS file that law schools you apply to receive, meaning the schools will not be told about it, and it is not something you are required to disclose in applications. Schools do not care if you postponed your LSAT date or cancelled your registration and then signed up again later when you felt better prepared.

You can even withdraw your registration (no registration fee refund though) up to midnight the night before your test day and it won't count against the three times rule and nothing will show up about it on your CAS report with your applications.

If you do not postpone or cancel your registration or withdraw it by the night before the test in one of the available ways and fail to show up on test day an absent mark will be put on your LSAT score history page in your CAS report schools receive, but doesn't count against the three times rule.

It's best to avoid having an absent reported since you can cancel your registration online up to midnight the day before the administration you are registered for. With the options available now to prevent any type of score report mark if you cannot make it/aren't ready, an absent mark on your record can be interpreted as being flaky by admission committees.

Short version: Don't stress about this, it's no big deal. Just decide which of the options is best for you and meet the appropriate deadline for whichever one you select.

Depending on your life circumstances you might get some heat/pressure/questions from parents/family/friends/other students you keep in the loop about your journey to law school, but they don't make the admission decisions, which is why I think it is best to not overly share the day by day, blow by blow details about it with people that don't really understand the process and how important your achieved and reported LSAT score is to getting admitted into a good law school. Best to keep things on a need to know basis to avoid family/friends pressure/criticism and drama since preparing for the test to substantially increase your score is stressful enough by itself.

Take the LSAT when you are ready to perform well and achieve the highest possible score you can be and are capable of achieving when it counts, proven by consistently scoring in your target score range on practice tests taken honestly under simulated test day conditions.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

kky215 wrote:Since the test date change deadline is not yet passed, (Sept 14) I have two options.

1) Cancel October 2012 LSAT, get a refund, and register for Feb 2013. --> will this option leave a stigma (ie: cancellation on my report)
2) Pay ~$80 and change the test date to Feb 2013.

Which option should I choose?

If you are not going to be applying this cycle (which I'm assuming may be the case based on your decision to take the test in February), have you considered that the February test is not disclosed? You may have good reasons to want to write the test in February, but have you considered the option to withdraw from the October 2012 LSAT and register for June 2013 after the registration for that date opens? That way, if you don't do as well as you hoped, you can review the June test and see what mistakes you made and take the summer to study for an October re-take.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”