Should I reschedule for December?

calgarite
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

Should I reschedule for December?

Postby calgarite » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 pm

I registered for the October test, but I still have serious timing issues during PTs that I doubt I can fix in 3 weeks. I'll probably have to retake the exam if I don't move my test date, and most of my schools (T6) average scores. Which of these options is better?

A) Take the test in October, probably score in the 160s, submit the rest of my application before Nov. 1, and ask them to postpone review until my Dec. scores come in.

B) Take the test for the first time in December but submit the rest of my application (without an LSAT report) in October. That would give me an extra 6 weeks to work out my timing issues, and a full 2 weeks in October to work on my personal statement.

I don't fully understand how timing for rolling admissions works, but I was told I wouldn't get an answer before December either way, so taking the December exam shouldn't hurt me. My only fear is that by moving my test date to December, I'm giving myself only ONE chance to get a near perfect score. That might not sound like a very big deal, but suppose the next killer logic game appears on the December exam. Then I couldn't apply in 2012.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby dingbat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:00 pm

I applied as soon as the october scores came out last year and half the schools I applied to didn't get back to me until summer

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Taking the test in December will hurt you because there are less spots available (and thus the criteria for acceptance is much stricter) in December than it is in October. A good portion of the class will be filled before they even look at your application.

I do think you should postpone, but why not apply for the next cycle?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby dingbat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Taking the test in December will hurt you because there are less spots available (and thus the criteria for acceptance is much stricter) in December than it is in October. A good portion of the class will be filled before they even look at your application.

I do think you should postpone, but why not apply for the next cycle?

I don't think the criteria are that much stricter, particularly in the new low application environment expected for the coming year. 2-3 points more on the LSAT will more than make up for applying a little bit later (especially as many/most schools don't even look at regular decision apps before december, and sometimes not until january)

User avatar
05062014
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby 05062014 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:45 pm

I dont think anyone really will feel 100% ready for october. December is there for the taking if october does not go well. The general consensus is that schools will look at the highest grade. If you don't believe in yourself, you'll never be ready. If you don't have a deadline, you won't never give it your best effort. You can do a lot in three weeks

calgarite
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby calgarite » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:46 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Taking the test in December will hurt you because there are less spots available (and thus the criteria for acceptance is much stricter) in December than it is in October. A good portion of the class will be filled before they even look at your application.

I do think you should postpone, but why not apply for the next cycle?


I understand that submitting my application in December would hurt me, but I thought that if I started submitting my application early, say October, they would start a file for me, and I would be given a spot in the queue of applicants. When my test score arrived in December, the LSAT report would be added to the existing application and reviewed in a short amount of time.

calgarite
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby calgarite » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm

abdistotle wrote:I dont think anyone really will feel 100% ready for october. December is there for the taking if october does not go well. The general consensus is that schools will look at the highest grade. If you don't believe in yourself, you'll never be ready. If you don't have a deadline, you won't never give it your best effort. You can do a lot in three weeks


My case is different. Two weeks ago I took a PT and finished only one section on time. I got a 165. When I went back and answered the questions at the end of each section that I didn't get to, I had a score of 174. One score puts me in the T6, the other just barely leaves me in the top 30.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby M.M. » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 pm

calgarite wrote:
abdistotle wrote:I dont think anyone really will feel 100% ready for october. December is there for the taking if october does not go well. The general consensus is that schools will look at the highest grade. If you don't believe in yourself, you'll never be ready. If you don't have a deadline, you won't never give it your best effort. You can do a lot in three weeks


My case is different. Two weeks ago I took a PT and finished only one section on time. I got a 165. When I went back and answered the questions at the end of each section that I didn't get to, I had a score of 174. One score puts me in the T6, the other just barely leaves me in the top 30.


This is hardly different than what would happen to many people if they did the same thing.

User avatar
05062014
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby 05062014 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 am

M.M. wrote:
calgarite wrote:
abdistotle wrote:I dont think anyone really will feel 100% ready for october. December is there for the taking if october does not go well. The general consensus is that schools will look at the highest grade. If you don't believe in yourself, you'll never be ready. If you don't have a deadline, you won't never give it your best effort. You can do a lot in three weeks


My case is different. Two weeks ago I took a PT and finished only one section on time. I got a 165. When I went back and answered the questions at the end of each section that I didn't get to, I had a score of 174. One score puts me in the T6, the other just barely leaves me in the top 30.


This is hardly different than what would happen to many people if they did the same thing.


Won't ever or will never -- but not won't never, lol. And MM is right. Figure out your pacing and give each section everything you have. Timing becomes an issue for me if I stray from my game plan even a tiny bit. You don't think I am worried about October? The fact that you recognize you need to improve immediately and drastically (timing wise) gives you an edge on people who may take their foot off the pedal too soon.

calgarite
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby calgarite » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I do think you should postpone, but why not apply for the next cycle?


I've been out of college for 5 years already. Even if I attend law school next fall, I wouldn't be starting my law career until I'm 31. That's already too old in my opinion. Besides, I'm underemployed and probably will be for as long as I'm not attending law school. Another two years in my current position really isn't an option.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby dingbat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:28 am

Seriously, people, applying based on the December score vs an October score makes virtually no difference to your application. Apps are down across the board, schools are not going to jump the gun and admit people with less than stellar numbers when there are still test dates left in the cycle.
Hell, people got in this cycle based on their June scores

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:39 pm

calgarite wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:Taking the test in December will hurt you because there are less spots available (and thus the criteria for acceptance is much stricter) in December than it is in October. A good portion of the class will be filled before they even look at your application.

I do think you should postpone, but why not apply for the next cycle?


I understand that submitting my application in December would hurt me, but I thought that if I started submitting my application early, say October, they would start a file for me, and I would be given a spot in the queue of applicants. When my test score arrived in December, the LSAT report would be added to the existing application and reviewed in a short amount of time.


The way I understand the process works (and someone should probably verify) is that if you don't have a score on file they put your app to the side and look at it when you do have a number. I don't think you benefit from the early app if you don't have your score yet.

b33eazy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby b33eazy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 pm

I was going to take October, but I also delayed until Decemeber. Don't listen to people on this forum telling you to take October if you think you need until December to get that near perfect score, do it. I would and that's what I am going to do. All you need to do is just submit your apps early so it will already be processed. And while applying a little late may hurt you a little, it should hurt you at all if you call pull out a 170+. There have been people (non-urm) on these forums who had a 3.5+ and 170+ in from December LSAT who got T6. I would go for December if you think that is best for you.

calgarite
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby calgarite » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

b33eazy wrote:I was going to take October, but I also delayed until Decemeber. Don't listen to people on this forum telling you to take October if you think you need until December to get that near perfect score, do it. I would and that's what I am going to do. All you need to do is just submit your apps early so it will already be processed. And while applying a little late may hurt you a little, it should hurt you at all if you call pull out a 170+. There have been people (non-urm) on these forums who had a 3.5+ and 170+ in from December LSAT who got T6. I would go for December if you think that is best for you.


I actually just emailed my school's pre-law advisor about this. My advisor said that with the new LSAC system, most schools won't let you apply until your application is 100% complete (with scores) on the LSAC website. Schools are also saying that they won't review incomplete applications anymore, which is something that has changed in just the past few years. Basically, if you take the December LSAT, no one is going to look at any part of your application until January at the earliest.


I do hope Dingbat is right about a December application not making any difference. Are there any posts on here that show that was pretty much the case last year? I probably have to take it in December either way, but it would be a relief to find out I still have a shot at getting in.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Should I reschedule for December?

Postby dingbat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm

calgarite wrote:I do hope Dingbat is right about a December application not making any difference. Are there any posts on here that show that was pretty much the case last year? I probably have to take it in December either way, but it would be a relief to find out I still have a shot at getting in.
I just want to point out that despite applying in October, not one school I applied to looked at my application prior to January (I was looking at the status checkers regularly)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests