LSAT exemption from three times in two years rule

chasingthesun

LSAT exemption from three times in two years rule

Postby chasingthesun » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:19 pm

I took the LSAT three times in a six month period. I had no idea that the three times in two year rule existed. In fact, I signed up for an LSAT class (something I did not do becuase of time and money the first three times--yes I know I was being stubborn and foolish) only to find out that I can't take the LSAT.

What exaclty is LSAC looking for in an explanation? What should I avoid in my request?

bp shinners

Re: LSAT exemption from three times in two years rule

Postby bp shinners » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm

chasingthesun wrote:I took the LSAT three times in a six month period. I had no idea that the three times in two year rule existed. In fact, I signed up for an LSAT class (something I did not do becuase of time and money the first three times--yes I know I was being stubborn and foolish) only to find out that I can't take the LSAT.

What exaclty is LSAC looking for in an explanation? What should I avoid in my request?

Not to be a downer, but it's become exceptionally rare to be granted a waiver since the LSAC changed their policy last year. In the very limited cases where someone has been granted one and I've heard about it (and that list is 1 person long), there was an exceptionally extenuating medical circumstance. I've heard from people who were rejected for regular medical circumstances, car accidents, deaths in the family, etc...

keyanaut

Re: LSAT exemption from three times in two years rule

Postby keyanaut » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

bp shinners wrote:
chasingthesun wrote:I took the LSAT three times in a six month period. I had no idea that the three times in two year rule existed. In fact, I signed up for an LSAT class (something I did not do becuase of time and money the first three times--yes I know I was being stubborn and foolish) only to find out that I can't take the LSAT.

Not to be a downer, but it's become exceptionally rare to be granted a waiver since the LSAC changed their policy last year. In the very limited cases where someone has been granted one and I've heard about it (and that list is 1 person long), there was an exceptionally extenuating medical circumstance. I've heard from people who were rejected for regular medical circumstances, car accidents, deaths in the family, etc...

bp shinner knows what he's talking about.

I was granted a 4th time.

But my case is extremely rare. I'd taken it twice before. On my 3rd time, with the same ID and passport photos as before, an inexperienced proctor thought a violation was a "notation," and she felt like notating that my eye patch that i wear for medical reasons wasn't on my ID, but it was on my person and passport photo.

Then said proctor delivered a notification to me, marking dismissed. I think she thougth she dismissed the fact I wore an eyepatch, because they still allowed me to sit for the test. Right before the test begins, I ask them if I'm dismissed or if I can take it. They don't know whats going on and tell us to begin anyways.

Then, during the 1st section of my test (RC), said proctors decide they want discuss with me what happened and come to the conclusion that I can take it. Wasting a ton of my time.

I burn through the section as fast as possible, and finish all the other sections. I approach the proctor - she wasn't apologetic and was questioning what difference minutes make on this exam.

So, I write to LSAC telling them what they did. I pleaded for a score, and an option to retake... because all I need is a 164 for my target school, but felt like I got a 168 (when I PT around 170~)

All they did was say no, they are sorry, and I can either keep my score and wait 2 years if I have to, or cancel and be allowed to sit a 4th time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”