Retake after a 170?

User avatar
gable sans stache
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Retake after a 170?

Postby gable sans stache » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:11 am

Applied last year and decided to take a couple years off for financial reasons and to build a real-world resume. Going for fall of '14 now. I figure with a little bit of free time I can improve on a 170 - mostly in LG. Anyone have any experience or advice on prep materials?

WanderingPondering
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 am

Yea, why not? Higher scores turn into more $$ and/or acceptances. If you have the time, go for it.

LG and LR Bibiles are a good place to start, as I'm sure you know

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:40 pm

I know someone on here is retaking a 172, and I am retaking a 169 (and would have retaken a 170 without a second thought). Every point on thus thing helps.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 pm

I retook a 170 and got... a 170. :lol:

But there is NO HARM in retaking at all, and since you have the time, WHY NOT?

JDeezy
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby JDeezy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:I retook a 170 and got... a 170. :lol:

But there is NO HARM in retaking at all, and since you have the time, WHY NOT?


While I certainly agree that if OP can beat 170, they should absolutely re-take as every point is critical. It's my understanding however that there is at least moderate risk. If OP scores 166, that doesn't look good, right?

LargeNinCharge
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby LargeNinCharge » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:46 pm

.
Last edited by LargeNinCharge on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Funkycrime
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby Funkycrime » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm

JDeezy wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I retook a 170 and got... a 170. :lol:

But there is NO HARM in retaking at all, and since you have the time, WHY NOT?


While I certainly agree that if OP can beat 170, they should absolutely re-take as every point is critical. It's my understanding however that there is at least moderate risk. If OP scores 166, that doesn't look good, right?

It doesn't look good I guess, but it isn't bad either. Schools are too big of median whores to seriously care about a lower score, not matter the order it comes in.

User avatar
R86
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby R86 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:13 pm

I say go for it, but only if you're willing to dedicate some time to figuring out where your mistakes came from and how not to make them again.

I hit 170 my first take, and was dead set on retaking, but realized after a while that 170 is a good enough score for the schools I really want to be at and I just couldn't find any motivation to study for a retake. I have another chance to take the test for free still (LSAC waiver), so if my cycle doesn't turn out this time around, I'll probably end up retaking after all.

To bring some objective facts to the table, the most recent available data shows that out of the 90 people who retook a 170, 50 scored higher while 40 stayed at 170 or scored lower. So the odds are ever so slightly in your favor, I guess.

User avatar
Sounder89
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby Sounder89 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Funkycrime wrote:
JDeezy wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I retook a 170 and got... a 170. :lol:

But there is NO HARM in retaking at all, and since you have the time, WHY NOT?


While I certainly agree that if OP can beat 170, they should absolutely re-take as every point is critical. It's my understanding however that there is at least moderate risk. If OP scores 166, that doesn't look good, right?

It doesn't look good I guess, but it isn't bad either. Schools are too big of median whores to seriously care about a lower score, not matter the order it comes in.

A downward trend certainly wouldn't help though. A 170 and a 166 a year later could definitely raise red flags with some adcoms, so it is a little risky. Not to mention all those hours you would have to pour into another round of LSAT prep. Since OP seems to have the time however, I would say go for it. Plus, it seems to be a general consensus around here that LG is the easiest section to improve on, so aiming for a score in the mid 170s wouldn't be unrealistic.

User avatar
gable sans stache
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby gable sans stache » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks for the insight, guys.

To bring some objective facts to the table, the most recent available data shows that out of the 90 people who retook a 170, 50 scored higher while 40 stayed at 170 or scored lower. So the odds are ever so slightly in your favor, I guess.


That's interesting - I didn't know you could even look that up.

I studied with the Kaplan method - would switching to Powerscore or something else to improve on LG help or hinder? I've never really learned anything else, so I'm not sure if the methods complement each other or not.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:29 am

gable sans stache wrote:Thanks for the insight, guys.

To bring some objective facts to the table, the most recent available data shows that out of the 90 people who retook a 170, 50 scored higher while 40 stayed at 170 or scored lower. So the odds are ever so slightly in your favor, I guess.


That's interesting - I didn't know you could even look that up.

I studied with the Kaplan method - would switching to Powerscore or something else to improve on LG help or hinder? I've never really learned anything else, so I'm not sure if the methods complement each other or not.

I started out with Kaplan, then found Powerscore. In my case, the LG Bible was tremendously helpful; I credit it with boosting my score. Best of luck!

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:50 pm

LG Bible and/or Manhattan LG are the credited responses to that question. Kaplan method can die in a fire.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:35 am

If I got a 170 I'd most likely retake. I'd probably retake anything under a 172 - 173.

User avatar
cloudhidden
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 am

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby cloudhidden » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:42 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:If I got a 170 I'd most likely retake. I'd probably retake anything under a 172 - 173.


That's about how I feel. Two points isn't even a statistically meaningful difference but ask anyone on here about what it means for admissions and scholarship, especially with CLS at 172 median for another year.

User avatar
VUSisterRayVU
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 am

I'd argue that if you score within 2 points of your PT avg and you aren't shut out of your second choices in the T14, retaking might not be the best move simply because you almost certainly scored in your range. The time and effort and delay are likely best spent elsewhere. But if you were testing consistently in the low 170s and got a 169, I would retake because the difference between a 169 and a 17x is substantial imo. A 172 when you PT at 174 seems foolish to do over unless you got shut out of HYS bc of it and hate Columbia or whatever.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby banjo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:43 am

I would not retake a 170 unless I had an HYS-level GPA (3.8+ or 3.7 with extraordinary softs). Obviously, if you were PTing way above 170, that's a different story.

As for prep, I think we need more info about your score breakdown and your earlier approach.

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby abcde12345 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 am

There is absolutely no question that you should retake; not because a 170 is bad at all (it's a great score), but because you have a whole year (or 7 months if you're taking it in June). What I would've done for a whole year!

Additionally, you say your problem is with LG, which is the most learnable section because there are really only 3 templates that the test-makers use: linear, advanced linear, and grouping (I don't include pure sequencing because it's so easy; I don't want to give it the credit of being amongst the rest). So although there are infinite possibilities for game solutions, there are limited possibilities for game rules, which you can easily learn.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:04 pm

banjo wrote:I would not retake a 170 unless I had an HYS-level GPA (3.8+ or 3.7 with extraordinary softs). Obviously, if you were PTing way above 170, that's a different story.

As for prep, I think we need more info about your score breakdown and your earlier approach.

There are plenty reasons to retake a 170 as a splitter. 172 and up can open a lot of doors both school wise and scholly wise.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Sounder89 wrote:A downward trend certainly wouldn't help though. A 170 and a 166 a year later could definitely raise red flags with some adcoms, so it is a little risky.


Outside of YLS and SLS, it would have practically no effect, especially in the current admissions climate. Law schools are going to be especially desperate to maintain medians over at least the next couple of years, as high scorers become fewer in number. The 170 is all they would see.

OP, you should definitely retake. Regardless of your GPA, even improving to a 172 will put you in a considerably stronger position. Since you have the time to study, since you managed to get to a 170 even with Kaplan's garbage methods, and because LG is apparently your biggest issue, your chances of improving your score seem pretty favorable.

User avatar
gable sans stache
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Retake after a 170?

Postby gable sans stache » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually kind of happy to hear bad things about Kaplan's method - Powerscore it is.

As for my situation (if anyone's as bored at work as I am), it's weird. I have a ~3.6 GPA (that was a 2.9 my first year, then a transfer and 3.9 my next three years). Great softs and work experience, but I got into the wrong crowd that freshman year and starred in a string of arrests (weed, alcohol) - random dings by a couple schools like Ohio State can only be attributed to that, I think.

Biglaw's not my thing, so I'm shooting for a T14 LRAP if the tides are right. If not, I'd be happy taking help from a mid T1 school on the West Coast and working public interest or settling down at a midsize firm.

I'm not really stressing about which hump a few points would propel me over - I just have time to kill, and if my PT scores increase (they were ~170), why not?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ac89, Baidu [Spider] and 15 guests