Just started preparing for Oct; chances for improvement? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eosphoros

New

Just started preparing for Oct; chances for improvement?

Post by eosphoros » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi there:

I am an Australian who up until last week did not realise that I had to sit the LSAT for University of Melbourne entry. I live in NSW and falsely assumed that just for the fact the UNSW and USyd don't use LSAT, this applied nation-wide.

Anyway, since then, I have read the LSAT info on the LSAC site, including the sample questions and explanations, and have ordered some books from Powerscore and Manhattan LSAT to prepare for what is now less than four weeks of study.

Yesterday I took the June 07 sample test available on the LSAC website under test conditions. I scored 162. I am still waiting for my study materials to arrive and I would say that worst case scenario, they don't arrive until next week, giving me three weeks of study time. However, based on my experience with the one sample test I took, the questions are not all that difficult and I understand why I got questions wrong (mainly careless reading due to time constraints, or in the case of LG, not fully testing each option).

My question is, with (at worst case scenario) three weeks preparation for the LSAT, what is a realistic level of improvement?

Cheers.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Re: Just started preparing for Oct; chances for improvement?

Post by LionelHutzJD » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:31 pm

You can improve but you won't be anywhere close to your maximum potential.

eosphoros

New

Post by eosphoros » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:42 pm

While that's true, I doubt Melbourne will require me to get a 170+ anyway. In fact, I am 100% certain I will get a spot if I get 162, but it may just be a fee-paying spot. I would ideally like to get a commonwealth support spot, saving me around 25k a year in tuition.

Full-fee = 105k AUD over the course of three years.
CSP = 28k AUD over the course of three years.

Cerebro

Bronze

Post by Cerebro » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 pm

eosphoros wrote:While that's true, I doubt Melbourne will require me to get a 170+ anyway. In fact, I am 100% certain I will get a spot if I get 162, but it may just be a fee-paying spot. I would ideally like to get a commonwealth support spot, saving me around 25k a year in tuition.

Full-fee = 105k AUD over the course of three years.
CSP = 28k AUD over the course of three years.

Is a December test date possible? $77k is a lot of dough; why not do all you can to lock it up, so that you can save some money?

eosphoros

New

Post by eosphoros » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:54 pm

At this point, Melbourne is not committed to a third intake (usually December). They may open up that option later and if they do, I would probably apply for that round as well and take the LSAT again in December. Of course, by then, I will already know what spot they have offered me as offers go out on November 27.

However, I will be travelling to the US and Canada in November for three weeks, and headed up to the Gold Coast for a week in December too so not sure exactly how effective study will be.

My aim is a 170 as I KNOW that, if I had the time to properly prepare, I would be able to score higher than this. Is this a realistic goal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theprophet89

New

Post by theprophet89 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:28 am

eosphoros wrote:At this point, Melbourne is not committed to a third intake (usually December). They may open up that option later and if they do, I would probably apply for that round as well and take the LSAT again in December. Of course, by then, I will already know what spot they have offered me as offers go out on November 27.

However, I will be travelling to the US and Canada in November for three weeks, and headed up to the Gold Coast for a week in December too so not sure exactly how effective study will be.

My aim is a 170 as I KNOW that, if I had the time to properly prepare, I would be able to score higher than this. Is this a realistic goal?
No.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 pm

theprophet89 wrote:My aim is a 170 as I KNOW that, if I had the time to properly prepare, I would be able to score higher than this. Is this a realistic goal?
No.[/quote]

Realistic is a funny word - does it just mean possible? Likely? A significant chance?

I'm going to answer the possible question - yes, it's possible. I went from low-160s to high-170s in about 3.5 weeks. But I took 2 PTs a day and went a little crazy.

I would say it's not likely, but if you put in the work, it's definitely possible.

Urbanite

New

Post by Urbanite » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Melbourne's LSAT standards are nothing like top-tier U.S. schools.

Check out this thread for details: --LinkRemoved--

Stories of people getting less than 160 on the LSAT and getting places. Undergrad GPA seems more/as significant.

What's your GPA/work exp?

eosphoros

New

Post by eosphoros » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 am

My average for my undergrad is 70. It is on the low side of things but I did apply through Grad Access and have some compelling reasons why my marks from first year are quite horrible. As for work experience, I have none.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mickey2012

New

Post by mickey2012 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:03 pm

No.[/quote]

Realistic is a funny word - does it just mean possible? Likely? A significant chance?

I'm going to answer the possible question - yes, it's possible. I went from low-160s to high-170s in about 3.5 weeks. But I took 2 PTs a day and went a little crazy.

I would say it's not likely, but if you put in the work, it's definitely possible.[/quote]

Hi I'm also an Australian but looking to sit the LSAT at the start of December. I was interested in asking what preparation materials you used. My intention was to take a similar approach, go a bit nuts and do about 2 PTs a day. However, I was wondering whether you bought the LSAT materials from the LSAC site, or another source (ie. prep course etc.)? Anything you would recommend for someone who has until Dec 2nd (8 weeks - maybe 7 once I order materials lol)?

P.s eosphoros hope your test went well the other day!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 pm

mickey2012 wrote:However, I was wondering whether you bought the LSAT materials from the LSAC site, or another source (ie. prep course etc.)? Anything you would recommend for someone who has until Dec 2nd (8 weeks - maybe 7 once I order materials lol)?

P.s eosphoros hope your test went well the other day!
LSAC website, got every test, took them. I also picked up a few other books on strategy, but found them to be pretty bad - this was back when most companies were using their own questions, and I would score 10 points lower on those than the actual exam because they were all terribly written and there wasn't really right answers a lot of the time.

mickey2012

New

Post by mickey2012 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:42 am

Cheers. Think I'll do the same then, sweep up as many LSAC tests as I can and hit em hard. I had similar thoughts that the most accurate tests would be those made by LSAC.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:42 am

if you are going to be travelling and not have the time to study, why not wait a year and then take the exam when you are ready? the test is offered in June, October, December, and February ( but february is unrelased) so if you dont have the time to do an adequate prep- then see if your school will accept a score from another LSAC test ( im sure they will but double check) and start studying for that test when you are done travelling.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=195603
here's a thread with people kind of on the same schedule as you. if you actually put a real effort into it you can totally break 170.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”