Do People Avoid the February LSAT Because it's Non-Disclosed

Do People Avoid the February LSAT Because it's Non-Disclosed?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 13

Humbert Humbert

Do People Avoid the February LSAT Because it's Non-Disclosed

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:46 pm

I am considering taking the LSAT for the first time in February, and I am wondering how big of a deal the "non-disclosure" thing is for people.

romothesavior

Re: Do People Avoid the February LSAT Because it's Non-Disclosed

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes. Its not a great idea to take February unless you absolutely have to because you won't have an opportunity to review your mistakes on a retake.

R86

Postby R86 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:23 pm

I took it last February. Here's my 2¢.

Yes, the fact that it's non-disclosed is a big deal, but only if you aren't happy with the score you get and plan to take the test again. You'll be in the dark as to where you made your mistakes, which will really mess with your head if you want to start studying for a retake.

With that said, I have a personal suspicion that last February's test might have been on the easier side. I took 4 practice tests before sitting for the real thing, and my highest PT score was a 168. Test day I managed a 170.

I've considered taking it again, studying this time and taking more practice tests, but the cloud of not really knowing where I lost points last time has really messed with that plan for me.

Hope that helps. Nice username, by the way.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:13 am

My mistakes are usually pretty consistent by section. I wouldn't be too worried personally, as long as I've done a bunch of PT's.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am

There are many reasons why people don't like to take the February test. This is one of them. With that said, taking the February LSAT ended up being one of the best decisions I've ever made.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:31 pm

I always recommend against the February exam. There's no real upside to it, only downsides.

Not to say that it can't be a good idea based on your life circumstances. However, the features of the test itself suggest other administrations are better than February in almost every case.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks for the replies - anyone feel differently? The only reason I am considering it is because the timing makes sense. I think the December test would be too soon (I haven't started studying yet). I could do the June test, I just don't really want to wait that long. I'd appreciate any further thoughts.

Thanks

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:53 pm

The disclosure of the test after scores are out is only really helpful if you plan to re-take. I was happy with my score, but also really happy that I couldn't look back and see what mistakes that I had made that would only frustrate me.

And even for people re-taking, being able to look at your mistakes on the "real thing" is somewhat helpful, but not enormously so (provided you have lots of other preptests to look at). You'll know generally where you screwed up when you walk out of the testing center.

If you're not applying until fall 2013, none of the drawbacks associated with the Feb test are a big deal, I wouldn't worry about it.

theprophet89

Postby theprophet89 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm surprised LSAC doesn't drastically reduce the cost of the February test. Very few people write it and its smack dab in the middle of the cycle. Further, I don't see the rationale behind charging people full price to be your guinea pig.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Thanks for the replies - anyone feel differently? The only reason I am considering it is because the timing makes sense. I think the December test would be too soon (I haven't started studying yet). I could do the June test, I just don't really want to wait that long. I'd appreciate any further thoughts.

Thanks

Well, the biggest thing as others have said is that you can't review if you don't get the score you want.

June is most popular for 'early birds' because you can still retake in October as a backup plan and ED/EA to schools before the Nov 15th deadlines.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:19 pm

I think February's raison d'etre is for December LSAT folks who

1) already applied (and in some cases got WLed)
2) didn't score as well as they could and need a retake
3) have studied and significantly improved on their PTs between Dec and Feb
4) can, as a result of all of the above, walk into the test center and own that mofo, regardless of how things break down.

then they get an awesome score,
get off the waitlist,
get in,
?????
profit.

-my subjective cents

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”