My experimental sections are ruining my scores!

cloudhidden

My experimental sections are ruining my scores!

Postby cloudhidden » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:09 pm

I have gone through the labor of resorting the prep tests with an added section and then cutting off the top part of all the pages so I don't know the section number. This effectively simulates taking a five section test without knowing the unscored section. At the least, this work has helped me spot an alarming trend.

On my last three preptests my scores have hovered in the 168 range. A constant has been one very disappointing section. It just so happens that that problematic section has corresponded to the same section I used as an experimental, only that I dominated the experimental but tanked the scored section! In each instance, I believe, the scored section occured sequentially after the experimental.

For context here are the scores on the last three experimentals: -0, -1, and -1 (halfway decent, right?), but here are their hideous cousins: -5, -7, and -6 (trainwreck, I know). All the different section types have been equal opportunity offenders. This curious phenomonon has resulted in scores in the 168 rather than 172 range. Obviously, that difference would have a night and day impact on admissions.

Three occurences can't be mere coincidance. And on the test right before these, I tanked the experimental and aced the scored, but I think that that time they were in reverse order. So obviously I have an issue with repeat sections. But then again, three LR sections within a few hours is an awful lot for one brain to handle! Is this merely an endurance issue or could the LSAT include one purposely difficult section each test? I also don't know how to solve this problem other than to keep taking preptests. I could do a bunch of LR sections in short succession, but it's within the context of having those other sections around that ultimately counts on the real thing. Just sort of befuddled at this point and looking for whoever might weigh in on this enerving predicament.

bernaldiaz

Re: My experimental sections are ruining my scores!

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 pm

cloudhidden wrote:I have gone through the labor of resorting the prep tests with an added section and then cutting off the top part of all the pages so I don't know the section number. This effectively simulates taking a five section test without knowing the unscored section. At the least, this work has helped me spot an alarming trend.

On my last three preptests my scores have hovered in the 168 range. A constant has been one very disappointing section. It just so happens that that problematic section has corresponded to the same section I used as an experimental, only that I dominated the experimental but tanked the scored section! In each instance, I believe, the scored section occured sequentially after the experimental.

For context here are the scores on the last three experimentals: -0, -1, and -1 (halfway decent, right?), but here are their hideous cousins: -5, -7, and -6 (trainwreck, I know). All the different section types have been equal opportunity offenders. This curious phenomonon has resulted in scores in the 168 rather than 172 range. Obviously, that difference would have a night and day impact on admissions.

Three occurences can't be mere coincidance. And on the test right before these, I tanked the experimental and aced the scored, but I think that that time they were in reverse order. So obviously I have an issue with repeat sections. But then again, three LR sections within a few hours is an awful lot for one brain to handle! Is this merely an endurance issue or could the LSAT include one purposely difficult section each test? I also don't know how to solve this problem other than to keep taking preptests. I could do a bunch of LR sections in short succession, but it's within the context of having those other sections around that ultimately counts on the real thing. Just sort of befuddled at this point and looking for whoever might weigh in on this enerving predicament.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:33 pm

cloudhidden wrote:Three occurences can't be mere coincidance.

My friend, it's quite fortunate for you that statistics is not tested on the LSAT.

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:39 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
cloudhidden wrote:I have gone through the labor of resorting the prep tests with an added section and then cutting off the top part of all the pages so I don't know the section number. This effectively simulates taking a five section test without knowing the unscored section. At the least, this work has helped me spot an alarming trend.

I gather that this has become a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts, but I can now clearly see the value in taking five section preptests, as that repeat section can pose a psychological challenge for some people. But then again, it's all in my head anyways :lol:. I think that I have to take every preptest as if it were the real thing, with maximum intensity on each section. I have found that leverage. Just disapointing to know something so tangential has kept me from getting over the 170 hump. So I guess I responded by cursing the fates!

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:48 pm

cloudhidden wrote:I think that I have to take every preptest as if it were the real thing, with maximum intensity on each section.

This.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Wormfather wrote:There is no substitute for the rush you get on test day, except for coke, or meth. No substitute at all.

It might be cool (well, in a very weird sort of way) to have a device that is an explosive rigged to a timer that is set for 35 minutes. In order to disarm it, you have to punch in the answer letters for 3 questions from the section you are currently taking that are asked at random 30 seconds prior to the end of the 35 minutes. If you fail to enter the correct answers, then BOOM!

if you can figure out a way to practice like your life depended on it (because, well, it kinda does), then let me know what it is. I'm too chickenshit to do the above.

Postby 05062014 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Wormfather wrote:I've got a wife busting her ass as a nanny to put me through undergrad and law school. If it was just me I might settle, I owe her way more than I'll ever be able to repay but I'll be damned if I don't try.

I want HYS, she deserves it. That's my extra motivation.

We fight for every point.

Where does one find such a woman?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”