When to take the LSAT

Humbert Humbert

When to take the LSAT

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Looking for some advice. I am currently working as a paralegal at a firm in New York. I am looking to enroll in law school in Fall of 2014, meaning I would be sending in applications a year from now (Fall of 2013). I am considering the February 2013 test, so that I would be able to retake in June 2013 if necessary. If I were to do the Feb. test, when would it make sense to start studying?

Also, any suggestions re: study methods (self study vs. class)? I see myself as pretty highly motivated, and a good self-studier, but could also see the merits of taking a course. My firm also hosts a course (Kaplan) in the office during the week at a reduced cost, for what it's worth.

Thanks

TylerJonesMPLS

Re: When to take the LSAT

Postby TylerJonesMPLS » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:05 pm

That depends. Are you already scoring where you want to be on your PTs? If so, you probably don't need to study at all, or at least you don't need to start until the break. But if your PTs aren't where you want them to be, start working now. Once you get where you want to be, you can relax. But you can never tell how much time it will take you to get where you want to be, since it differs so much from individual to individual.

I've heard lots of bad things about Kaplan. But since you are a good-self studier, then you may as well try that first. I'd suggest taking the Kaplan only if the reduction is significant, because you may be not getting much for the money.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:24 pm

I have not started studying yet - I was wondering when it would make sense to start.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 pm

If you're wanting to take the Feb test, I'd begin studying around October.

Please do not take Kaplan. Their methods aren't aimed to help you excel. Kaplan is stoked when their students can get a 160. You don't want that. Check out Pithypike's Guide: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

If you feel like a course may benefit you more, I'd recommend Manhattan LSAT, Powerscore, or Blueprint.

Good luck!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Velocity and Testmasters also get a lot of love around here, but if you can stay motivated, I prefer self-study using books (Powerscore Bibles and Manhattan Guides) with real tests and bundles.

Also, February is a non-disclosed test, so I know some people don't really like taking it. I would give yourself at least three months to study, but probably not more than 5 or 6 to prevent running out of materials and burn-out. You could go for the trifecta of Feb/June/October until you get the score you want. There isn't any detriment to applying after your October score if you bomb June or February.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 pm

What does it mean that the February test is "non-disclosed?"

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:What does it mean that the February test is "non-disclosed?"

You won't be able to see it once the scores are released. On the other dates, once you receive your scores you can actually look at the test you took and possibly determine your mistakes.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:18 pm

gaud wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:What does it mean that the February test is "non-disclosed?"

You won't be able to see it once the scores are released. On the other dates, once you receive your scores you can actually look at the test you took and possibly determine your mistakes.

How big of a deal is that for most people? Is the Feb. test generally passed over for this reason?

Postby 05062014 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Did college board give us a disclosure booklet for the sat? I don't think so and I think I remember hating that shit.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
gaud wrote:

How big of a deal is that for most people? Is the Feb. test generally passed over for this reason?
If you're thinking you may want to retake, not knowing how you did on the first try is kind of a problem.

Feb is also kind of an inconvenient date. It's too late to apply to any decent (or even halfway decent) schools during that cycle, and you have to study through the holidays. Most people take June/Oct, and December if really necessary (not recommended for applying that cycle).

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks rinkrat. Other thoughts on the February test?

Figure8

Postby Figure8 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:19 pm

How do individuals generally do on the February tests in comparison to the other dates? I was under the impression that
-June has hardest curve.
-December has the easiest curve.
-September/October is the most popular test date.

Also, why is it non-disclosed?

Thanks!

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:16 pm

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Figure8 wrote:How do individuals generally do on the February tests in comparison to the other dates? I was under the impression that
-June has hardest curve.
-December has the easiest curve.
-September/October is the most popular test date.

Also, why is it non-disclosed?

Thanks!
The curve (it's not actually a curve, but whatever) doesn't matter, because it's calculated so that you'd theoretically get the same score whichever test you took. So a test might be "harder", but it allows you more errors to get a particular score than an "easy" test.

I don't know for sure why it's non-disclosed, but I think it might have something to do with having a copy of the test that can be used more than once. So they don't need an entirely separate test for each of the small testing groups who take the test abroad, for example.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”