DRILLING WITH SETS OF FAMILIAR LR QUESTIONS

Dakota89

DRILLING WITH SETS OF FAMILIAR LR QUESTIONS

Postby Dakota89 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:42 am

With the October test coming soon, I am trying to close the gap on my biggest problem area: Logical Reasoning. I use to score much better (-4/-5 on average) and then I started lagging on my studying because of various reasons and it has seriously weakened my skills. Now, I have a question about my recent method of studying.

I have been drilling question by type a few times a week, but I still find that when I am put under timed conditions I am committing the same errors. So, I figured I should start drilling 35 minute sections just as I did with logic games to become more familiar with real sets of LR questions and try to tighten up my skills when under the pressure of the clock. BUT since I want to save tests for full unfamiliar PTs, I am starting to do sections where I know I have seen these questions before, and may be choosing the right answers because of that. So my question is this, will timed sets of familiar LR sections give me any sort of benefit and improve my recognition of typical answers, recognition of flaws etc.?

The reason I ask this is because it certainly did help me tons with logic games, even when I was familiar with the game (I went from -5/6 to -0/1), but not sure if LR is a completely different animal where this same method of studying will not help me.

I really appreciate any insight or experiences on this!

BlaqBella

Re: DRILLING WITH SETS OF FAMILIAR LR QUESTIONS

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:03 pm

I would advise you drill with LR questions grouped by type. Cambridge LSAT offers a bundle of LR questions grouped by type from PT 1-38. You can then use the remaining PTs to practice your LR sections under timed conditions.

Dakota89

Postby Dakota89 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:15 pm

I am also using the cambridge LR by type, but when I get to a logical reasoning section with mixed question types and under timed conditions, I tend to lose that comfort of doing the same question type again and again and having the rhythm of employing the same strategy many times in a row. So my question was more about whether it is completely ineffective doing questions I have seen at some point in my practice again under timed conditions for the sake of becoming more comfortable and possibly learning some strategies to better help with future unfamiliar question sets.

And I will continue doing timed PT's to practice but realistically I have only a few more weeks left and I have a limited amount of unknown PTs that I have not done.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Dakota89 wrote:I am also using the cambridge LR by type, but when I get to a logical reasoning section with mixed question types and under timed conditions, I tend to lose that comfort of doing the same question type again and again and having the rhythm of employing the same strategy many times in a row. So my question was more about whether it is completely ineffective doing questions I have seen at some point in my practice again under timed conditions for the sake of becoming more comfortable and possibly learning some strategies to better help with future unfamiliar question sets.

And I will continue doing timed PT's to practice but realistically I have only a few more weeks left and I have a limited amount of unknown PTs that I have not done.

My opinion is that there is no harm in repeating questions. It would probably be beneficial to redo an entire LR section or four with focus on the technique you use to solve the problem. You're not using this to try to assess your score, but to practice applying the techniques you've mastered in a mixed-review setting. Practice is good, yeah?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”