Study plan. Drilling.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Study plan. Drilling.

Postby Jaqen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 am

I'm taking the LSAT next month. I did some studying in May, but I only really went through the Bibles and did a few PTs. I'm thinking about starting by going through the Bibles again, one by one, and drilling question types as I go, from PTs 20-40. Then moving on to full-length PTs (40-current, minus the ones I did in May). How does this plan sound?

Also, about drilling... How do you do it? I mean, I know that you do questions by type. But should you drill timed or untimed? Should you review them one by one? Or do all of that type?

User avatar
RCinDNA
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: Study plan. Drilling.

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 am

Jaqen wrote:I'm taking the LSAT next month. I did some studying in May, but I only really went through the Bibles and did a few PTs. I'm thinking about starting by going through the Bibles again, one by one, and drilling question types as I go, from PTs 20-40. Then moving on to full-length PTs (40-current, minus the ones I did in May). How does this plan sound?

Also, about drilling... How do you do it? I mean, I know that you do questions by type. But should you drill timed or untimed? Should you review them one by one? Or do all of that type?


1. "How does this plan sound?"

I think you need to take an untimed PT, ID your weak areas, and then focus on studying those sections of the Bibles. After you have drilled and studied your problem areas, take a timed PT just to see if there is an improvement. There isn't that much time, but given that you already read the Bibles, I think you should focus on pulling your overall strategy together and seeing if any gaps developed.

2. "How do you drill...But should you drill timed or untimed? Should you review them one by one? Or do all of that type?"

Personally, I find that drilling specific question types untimed helps me more. Accuracy should come first, speed afterwards. As you get more skillful with answering certain questions, your speed should pick up as you encounter them on a test. I do batches of 10, and then review each group. I also made sure to write the strategies from the Logic Games Bible for the questions giving me the most trouble on index cards, and referring to them as I drilled. It helped reinforce certain techniques that I wasn't consistently applying.

YMMV.

How much time do you set aside to study per day?

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Study plan. Drilling.

Postby Jaqen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:19 am

RCinDNA wrote:1. "How does this plan sound?"

I think you need to take an untimed PT, ID your weak areas, and then focus on studying those sections of the Bibles. After you have drilled and studied your problem areas, take a timed PT just to see if there is an improvement. There isn't that much time, but given that you already read the Bibles, I think you should focus on pulling your overall strategy together and seeing if any gaps developed.

2. "How do you drill...But should you drill timed or untimed? Should you review them one by one? Or do all of that type?"

Personally, I find that drilling specific question types untimed helps me more. Accuracy should come first, speed afterwards. As you get more skillful with answering certain questions, your speed should pick up as you encounter them on a test. I do batches of 10, and then review each group. I also made sure to write the strategies from the Logic Games Bible for the questions giving me the most trouble on index cards, and referring to them as I drilled. It helped reinforce certain techniques that I wasn't consistently applying.

YMMV.

How much time do you set aside to study per day?


1. I miss a handful from each of LR, LG, RC. I have no particularly weak section. I kind of want to drill all question types, but due to time constraints, your suggestion may be best.

2. This helps a ton, thanks!

~4 hours.

User avatar
gianna
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Study plan. Drilling.

Postby gianna » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 am

RCinDNA is right: Accuracy should come first. Practice questions by type until you're missing no more than 3-4 per section. Take as long as you need. When I first started, LR sections took me 45-50 minutes each. Now I finish in 30, with usually no more than 2-4 wrong total. Go over missed questions and label them--flaw, weaken, parallel, etc, and drill (baby drill).

Also, logic games just suddenly started to come together for me. Give yourself plenty of time, because after a while you'll naturally speed up.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Study plan. Drilling.

Postby Jaqen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm

gianna wrote:RCinDNA is right: Accuracy should come first. Practice questions by type until you're missing no more than 3-4 per section. Take as long as you need. When I first started, LR sections took me 45-50 minutes each. Now I finish in 30, with usually no more than 2-4 wrong total. Go over missed questions and label them--flaw, weaken, parallel, etc, and drill (baby drill).

Also, logic games just suddenly started to come together for me. Give yourself plenty of time, because after a while you'll naturally speed up.


:lol:

Ty. Time to drill like a madman. :!:

amzep
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Re: Study plan. Drilling.

Postby amzep » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm

gianna wrote:RCinDNA is right: Accuracy should come first. Practice questions by type until you're missing no more than 3-4 per section. Take as long as you need. When I first started, LR sections took me 45-50 minutes each. Now I finish in 30, with usually no more than 2-4 wrong total. Go over missed questions and label them--flaw, weaken, parallel, etc, and drill (baby drill).

Also, logic games just suddenly started to come together for me. Give yourself plenty of time, because after a while you'll naturally speed up.


How often did you study until you were able to get your time down? (how many days/wk, how many hrs/day)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests