Is LG Getting Easier?

privatemember2012

Is LG Getting Easier?

Postby privatemember2012 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:14 am

I've read in some places that LG is getting easier and in others that it's actually harder because of slight changes in game type and the introduction of 'replace the rule' questions. Which one is right, or are they really just the same? I've done all the games in PT20's and 30's, and I'm not sure what to expect on test day.

cahwc12

Re: Is LG Getting Easier?

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 am

Personally I think LG was hardest in the games you took. In the 40s and early 50s I think the games are a joke, and now they are pretty balanced. There are no super crushable games now, but none that will destroy you either.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:54 am

cahwc12 wrote:Personally I think LG was hardest in the games you took. In the 40s and early 50s I think the games are a joke, and now they are pretty balanced. There are no super crushable games now, but none that will destroy you either.

I still can't finish the mauve dinosaurs game in a reasonable amount of time. And I've given it like three tries at this point. And I'm pretty good at LG.

But yeah, none of the recent ones are particularly nasty.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:03 am

Do all the games in the most recent tests. I don't think they are necessarily easier, but they are slightly different IMO.

Also beware the EXTRA SPACE.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 am

shinton88 wrote:I still can't finish the mauve dinosaurs game in a reasonable amount of time. And I've given it like three tries at this point. And I'm pretty good at LG.

There's only 3 lists of possible mauve dinos. Draw them out as scenarios, and the game should take you a lot less time. When you run into something like this - a seemingly-complex game with one wrinkle to it that you really wish you could figure out - there are usually a few possibilities for that piece of info you really want to know, and making a scenario around each one is almost always worthwhile and a time saver.

I think they've definitely standardized the difficulty a bit, getting rid of the insanely hard and easy ones. However, I also think they're doing a better job of masking the usual language of the introduction so that you feel like it's a new type of game, or a really difficult old type of game, when it really isn't.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 am

shinton88 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Personally I think LG was hardest in the games you took. In the 40s and early 50s I think the games are a joke, and now they are pretty balanced. There are no super crushable games now, but none that will destroy you either.

I still can't finish the mauve dinosaurs game in a reasonable amount of time. And I've given it like three tries at this point. And I'm pretty good at LG.

The key to that game is just labeling which dinosaurs must be certain colors

With 7 choose 5, there aren't a whole lot of possibilities already (21), and by using mauve as your limiting factor, you're essentially only left with a handful of possible combinations.

Just going off memory, I recall three dinosaurs having forced colors, and four being left open to the possibility of being the two mauve-colored. This is extremely limiting, and only helped further by the fact that one of the variables (U) had two further restrictions on it.

DSman

Postby DSman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I agree with this. I think the earliest ones are pretty hard and then they got pretty easy in the 40s and some of the 50s. Most recently they have gotten harder again but reasonably hard.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:27 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
shinton88 wrote:

The key to that game is just labeling which dinosaurs must be certain colors

With 7 choose 5, there aren't a whole lot of possibilities already (21), and by using mauve as your limiting factor, you're essentially only left with a handful of possible combinations.

Just going off memory, I recall three dinosaurs having forced colors, and four being left open to the possibility of being the two mauve-colored. This is extremely limiting, and only helped further by the fact that one of the variables (U) had two further restrictions on it.

I may try it again one day just for the lulz.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”