how bad does a retake look on the application?

esther0123

how bad does a retake look on the application?

Postby esther0123 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm aiming for an October writing, but my progress so far has not been the most ideal (ranging 165, peaked at low 170s only twice). I'd like to hit minimum 172 in LSAT and plan to apply to T5 with a gpa of 3.92.
It is my final year in undergrad and it is also my thesis year. I was wondering if it would be best to write October, then consider retake if score isn't ideal, or just wait until December (or June altogether.. since December is final exam season and I don't want to sacrifice my gpa). I'm not URM and am an international student (Canada).

Thanks in advance!

gaud

Re: how bad does a retake look on the application?

Postby gaud » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:14 pm

this may help:

patat wrote:
Yale- Says that they “consider all information about an applicant, including multiple LSAT scores.” It’s hard to interpret what exactly this means, but considering that Yale’s admission decisions as a whole are hard to predict, it comes as no surprise that their policies are somewhat vague.

Harvard- “The LSAT need be taken only once. If you take the test more than once, all scores and their average will be reported and considered.”

Stanford – Makes no comment with regard to multiple LSATs on their website. I imagine this is a result of their desire to maintain an appearance of holistic admissions in which they consider everything. Presumably they’re in line with HY and average, though.

Columbia – “Even though the ABA requires that we report the highest LSAT score, the Committee considers the entire LSAT testing history when evaluating applications for admission. Published statistics for this and prior years were based on average LSAT scores.” A quick glance at LSN seems to refute this though, as a 165/175 will always do better than a 170, for example.

NYU – “If I take the LSAT more than once, does the Committee see the higher score?
Yes, but they evaluate based on the average score in most cases. The Committee may take special circumstances into account. If a candidate can point out specific reasons why the Committee should consider an LSAT score aberrant, they should detail those reasons in an addendum to the personal statement.” It seems that they are much more willing to accept a reason for a sub-par LSAT score than this statement might suggest, however.

Chicago – “We recognize that some students will take the LSAT more than once, perhaps because the first score was the product of unusual conditions or because it seemed low given earlier practice test scores. In keeping with recent changes in LSAC and ABA policies, we will focus on the higher of an applicant's two scores. LSAC data suggest that the first score is an excellent predictor of a second score; applicants are thus advised to re-take the test only if there is reason to expect significant improvement. We certainly do not wish to encourage expenditures on repeat test taking.”

ETA: all of this may not be completely current. take it for what it's worth. ultimately, just plan to kill it on the LSAT and profit.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Almost all T14s dont mind retakes at all.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:14 pm

It will not look bad. Schools have an incentive to ignore a lower score and just factor the higher because they only have to report your higher score (im fresh from a PT so ignore the somewhaqt faulty logic in that but you get the point lol). If you think you can improve, retake.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 am

Harvard- “The LSAT need be taken only once."

So is this what we call typical Harvard douchebaggery?

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 am

RETAKE. Br3v is right. There's zero incentive for them to look at anything other than your highest score, so if you can get a higher score, do it.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:02 pm

shinton88 wrote:RETAKE. Br3v is right. There's zero incentive for them to look at anything other than your highest score, so if you can get a higher score, do it.

So can the statements above can just be considered impression / appearance management?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”