Princeton Review v. Kaplan v. PowerScore?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Chadster

New

Princeton Review v. Kaplan v. PowerScore??

Post by Chadster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:05 pm

Whats up?

I'm a junior and I'm preparing to take the June 2007 LSAT. I know, I have a lot of time to be thinking about this and all, but I really want to score 165 or higher. I've been studying for a little while now using the Logic Games Bible. Does anyone have any reccommendations as to what is the best preparatory course for me to take in the Spring? I was considering taking Princeton Review or Kaplan but after buying the Logic Games Bible by PowerScore, I'm considering taking them. Also any advice on materials I should get my hands on in the meantime?

Much Apprecciated. :wink:

sbjohnsn

New

Post by sbjohnsn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Honestly, if you work through the two powerscore bibles and take many old LSATs, and if you're motivated enough to stick to a study schedule, you don't need to shell out all that $$ for a class.

Chadster

New

Post by Chadster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:14 pm

Are you speaking from personal experience? Because while I am highly motivated, I would never forgive myself if I didn't take a course and then did poorly on the test. How'd you manage to do on your LSAT without taking a course?

lindseyl

New

Post by lindseyl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:23 pm

Last edited by lindseyl on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doctorgonzo

New

Post by doctorgonzo » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:37 pm

I got a 167 without a course.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letylyf

New

Post by letylyf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:37 pm

It's not too early to think about preparing, and mentally get yourself in gear, but I would argue it's too early to start studying. Taking the LSAT is a habit you need to get yourself into. If you start too early, you'll use up all the preptests, and you'll be left with no new material right before the exam, when you need it most. Also, if you get in the groove too early, you might lose it later. For example, I took my first preptest cold (never having seen an LSAT question before in my life) in fall '04 and got a 163. Not bad, and after that I basically let it slip from my mind. I visited some law schools and gave the whole option a lot of thought. It wasn't until late September/early October of '05 that I started seriously studying for the December LSAT, and scored a sweet 180. And as a funny sort of finale to this whole story, last month I thought I might like to teach for an LSAT review company, and got a beautiful little 159 on their diagnostic LSAT! It's a habit, one you gain but just as easily lose.

About the class - the only prep I used was a Kaplan book and a book of ten preptests from lsac.org. If I had known about the Powerscore bibles and stuff I'm sure I would have used them, but it didn't turn out to be necessary. All in all I don't recommend a class if you have good study habits and can motivate yourself. This forum is also a great resource for specific problems you might encounter during study, and really, what else are classes good for?

mmm

New

Post by mmm » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:42 pm

A course, while not necessary in order to score high, is nevertheless very helpful. It provides you with techniques, materials, study plan, a source of help with the problems that you find hard, and discipline (the last one was especially important for me when I decided to take a course since I don't have the self-discipline needed to work on my own). I took TestMasters (testmasters180.com), and I thought it was extremely helpful. TestMasters uses almost the same techniques as Powerscore so it won't interfere with what you have learned so far. So I would say that if you can afford it, definitely go ahead and take a course.

Chadster

New

Post by Chadster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:45 pm

Thanks man, that post helped a lot.

Well I have some time to consider whether or not I need a course. I'm not gonna study hardcore as to keep myself from burning out before June. I'll probably just go through all the PowerScore Bibles, slowly but surely in the meantime and leave the actual exams for later. I feel like scoring a 180 is virtually impossible... I am in awe of you. If I could just score a 165 I'll be very content. That said, I'll definitely be using this forum as a resource. :wink:

lindseyl

New

Post by lindseyl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:47 pm

Last edited by lindseyl on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

letylyf

New

Post by letylyf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:50 pm

aww lindsey :oops: I feel like there are all these expectations of me I'll never live up to. Watch me get into Yale and then drop out :lol:

oh, and if you were referring to my post Chad I'm no man ;)

Ribbit

New

Post by Ribbit » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:53 pm

Yeah, letylyf is our very own genius.

Speaking of, if you went in with my ID and took my LSAT for me, you think I could get away with it? :D

Chadster

New

Post by Chadster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:53 pm

I'm so sorry letylyf.. lol WOMAN!

Guys I just have to say how at home I feel on this forum... it's sort of weird.. but refreshing! :wink:

letylyf

New

Post by letylyf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Haha, I'm not sure you'd want me to!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ribbit

New

Post by Ribbit » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Haha. Yes. I'm SURE I'd want you to. Then I'd get into Harvard and fail out because I really don't belong there. Ah. It's a lose-lose situation.

letylyf

New

Post by letylyf » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:56 pm

you should, Chad, we are all good friends here :)

haha, ribbit, did you not catch the part about the 159 up there? :lol:

lindseyl

New

Post by lindseyl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm

Guys I just have to say how at home I feel on this forum... it's sort of weird.. but refreshing!
That's how I feel, too. Oh, and if you have Facebook look for the TLS Lovers Group.

Chadster

New

Post by Chadster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:04 pm

will do!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ribbit

New

Post by Ribbit » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:15 pm

I refuse to believe that you didn't score a 159 on purpose.

sbjohnsn

New

Post by sbjohnsn » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:28 pm

Chadster, I never took a course. I just studied on my own. I got a 165 on the September LSAT.

Chadster

New

Post by Chadster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:32 pm

congrats.. what did you study from?

Do you know what your breakdown was? Do you mind sharing how many questions u missed on each section for me?.. or is that too personal? If so, I understand. But a 165 is great, i commend you. :wink:

rochester

New

Post by rochester » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:17 pm

I took the kaplan course. My thinking was that even if the course only gave me one or two points, that could be the difference in getting into a top school, and that is worth well more than a grand.

As for the course, it was kind of a mess. I had three instructors. The first was removed after overwhelming complaints from the students. The second was a goofball and the third was still an undergrad.

My first score was a 167 and my offical LSAT is a 179, so I can't complain too much. I think the structure and detail of the course were helpful, but it wouldnt surprise me to hear that another course was better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sbjohnsn

New

Post by sbjohnsn » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:26 pm

Chadster,

For the September LSAT I studied from the Kaplan Logic Games book and then I took 11 old LSATs. I didn't miss any on the logic games, I missed 8 on RC (notoriously hard RC section in September), and then I missed 7 in the two LR sections.

Ken

Bronze

Best LSAT Prep Company

Post by Ken » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:11 am

Hey Chadster,

Your enthusaism for the forum is appreciated and I am glad that you already feel at home. No matter whether you are considering self-study or investing in a class, you should read the excellent thread below on how to get a 160+. It is full of great tips from those on the forum who did amazingly well. Link is:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... .php?t=396

Because your LSAT score is likely worth more than or certainly equal to your GPA, I personally feel that a LSAT prep class is money well spent. I taught for one of the big companies and feel that both Princeton Review and Kaplan offer good (but not great) materials and strategies. I would base the deciding factor upon who is teaching the class for a good instructor will inspire whereas others can put you to sleep. The LSAT is challenging and when viewed in the right light, it can be exciting. Ask to sit in for free on one class (most companies will allow this) and make your decision based upon the instructor.

However, if Testmasters is available in your area (http://www.testmasters180.com) I highly recommend them based upon feedback I have heard from others. If your instructors are equal, testmasters is the better course. I have also heard some pretty good feedback on Powerscore, but some have said that their bibles contain most of the good information that you will receive so you may just want to pick up those books. They generally can be found below retail prices on ebay. I encourage others to sell old LSAT materials on this forum for others to bid on.

Given the import of the LSAT, I recommend a class but of course several people on this forum have scored above a 170 with self-study so it can be done.

I anticipate that you will continue to find the forum a welcoming environment filled with great knowledge that is happily conveyed by others. In a few months you will be posting your wise answers as well.

Cheers,

Ken

aaronbr

New

Post by aaronbr » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:51 pm

Hey Chadster,

In my opinion, you shouldn't feel the need to take a prep-course IF:

1.) You are motivated enough to dedicate serious and focused time to preparation on your own.

2.) You are willing to take 10+ practice tests under strictly-timed conditions, score them honestly, and carefully analyze your own mistakes and learn from them.

3.) You get the Powerscore books (be careful picking preparatory material, I actually think the advice offered in some books is harmful).

If you can do all three of these things, a class will not do much more for you unless you really want to be taught be a real human being.

I'm generally a slacker, but managed to get motivated and prepare on my own. I'm happy I did, and I exceeded my goals.

Best of luck,

Aaron

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”