How to Avoid Dumb Mistakes

eddie3636

How to Avoid Dumb Mistakes

Postby eddie3636 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Hey Everyone,

I am consistently in the 166-170 range, however the questions I seem to get wrong are the 1 and 2 star (kaplan ratings) questions. Any tips on how to avoid this? When I go over them the answer jumps out at me so I am thinking I'm either going too fast or overthinking.

Has anyone had any luck with certain strategies where this was a problem?

gaud

Re: How to Avoid Dumb Mistakes

Postby gaud » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 pm

energy drinks increased my focus and helped minimize my "stupid mistakes"

kaseyb002

Postby kaseyb002 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:21 pm

I have the same problem that happens to me from time to time. It always comes from speed reading. This may not be your cure, but it's probably the single most important thing that I need to remind myself each time I start a test.

I would try a couple timed sections while really focusing on slow, careful reading and see what happens. I think you'll find the test becomes much more effortless, and since you read the stimulus well the first time through you may get through the question more efficiently. Just my thought.

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 pm

kaseyb002 wrote:I have the same problem that happens to me from time to time. It always comes from speed reading. This may not be your cure, but it's probably the single most important thing that I need to remind myself each time I start a test.

I would try a couple timed sections while really focusing on slow, careful reading and see what happens. I think you'll find the test becomes much more effortless, and since you read the stimulus well the first time through you may get through the question more efficiently. Just my thought.

Same here with the mistakes coming form speed reading. I've found that slowing down and really trying to absorb each sentence and each idea has helped tenfold in RC and on some of the longer LR.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:41 pm

What I found helpful was going back after a test, looking at what I got wrong and why, and then I kept a running list of rules for certain types of questions that helped me avoid those mistakes. For instance I found that because I was in such a rush on parallel flaw questions I wouldn't take time to really consider what the flaw was, I would only have a vague conception, before I launched into the answer choices. So I made for myself a rule that I would not go to the answer choices before I had clearly in my mind what the flaw was. That helped me cut out that type of error and incidentally go faster. Obviously, this isnt an answer to a specific issue but an approach that might be helpful to cutting out issues more generally.

good luck!

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Look at the problems you get wrong and figure out what the actual mistake was. For example, out of the questions I completed on a timed Analytic Reasoning section tonight, the only one I missed was caused by my erroneous merger of two rules. The rules both concerned a sequence, and I combined them into one longer sequence, which also wasted time on some other questions. I suspect that if you examine your wrong answers there will be some kind of systematic similarity among most of them other than the low ratings.

kaseyb002

Postby kaseyb002 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:37 pm

I am looking at a track path on LSAT QA and I think I get in the bad habit of speed reading right after I peak and feel like I am really improving. I get over confident and stop paying careful attention to what I am reading and end up getting boned.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”