PT 4, SEC 1, Q 12

ws81086n

PT 4, SEC 1, Q 12

Postby ws81086n » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Also contained in the latest edition of the LR Bible.

The question stem tells us that if the liquid capacity of a landfill containing leachate is exceeded, leachate will spill into the environment. The correct answer (E) indicates that if a landfill did not expel leachate, its liquid capacity was not exceeded. But what if the landfill did not contain leachate in the first place? Then, an overflow would not guarantee that leachate was expelled into the environment. I don't see how the language in (E) logically forecloses the possibility of the landfill not containing leachate, which would allow for the possibility of the landfill exceeding its capacity without leaking leachate. Language like " If Leachate in a landfill does not escape into the environment..." would have logically foreclosed that possibility, but I don't see how the language that was used does.

ws81086n

Re: PT 4, SEC 1, Q 12

Postby ws81086n » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 pm

In the LR Bible, it is on page 163, Question #6

CyanIdes Of March

Re: PT 4, SEC 1, Q 12

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 am

I think your problem comes from forgetting about the first part of the stimulus. It states that if water permeates a landfill then leachate develops. If there is an overflow, then leachate has to be part of that overflow because it necessarily forms leading up to that event.

Water Permeation = Development of Leachate
Leachate Escape into environment = Overflow

With no leachate escape into the environment, there is no overflow. There also is no scenario available that includes an overflow without leachate present. HTH.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”