Shall I take LSAT this Oct or Dec

ywan1990
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:47 am

Shall I take LSAT this Oct or Dec

Postby ywan1990 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi, so my situation is: I plan to apply this year and I have registered for taking LSAT this Oct in London but have only started to prepare very recently. And quite unfortunately, I find it require much more time to work on it than I previously thought (I can only manage to get roughly 165 atm). So I am thinking about postponing it till Dec, in which case I can only get my result on 4 Jan. Given that I am targeting at the top14 and I am pretty confident that I can get 170+ by then, do you guys think it is worth doing it or will it substantially diminish my chances whatsoever, i.e. regardless of how much I can get. Thanks.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Shall I take LSAT this Oct or Dec

Postby gaud » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Wait until December and kill it. A 170+ will make it worthwhile.

Good luck!

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: Shall I take LSAT this Oct or Dec

Postby Ixiion » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:11 am

If you're coming from London, ie you're an international student, I'd definitely say wait until Dec. LSAT is the most important factor for an international student, so you definitely want to ace it and get over 170.

Good luck! :)

User avatar
ilovelawtays
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Shall I take LSAT this Oct or Dec

Postby ilovelawtays » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 am

I have nothing to add, except that I read this post in an English accent.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Shall I take LSAT this Oct or Dec

Postby Jeffort » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 am

Given that the test date and various deadlines to withdraw or change your test date for the October 2012 LSAT administration are still weeks away, with the limited information you provided, plus already being in the mid 165 range now (assuming a fresh test taken recently under timed simulated test day conditions), I say it is premature to decide now whether to take the October test or wait until the December administration given all the factors involved. There is still a significant amount of time ahead to prepare during which things can congeal for a higher score range before you even have to make the decision.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/eur-oct-2012-dates.asp
October 2012 LSAT Options and Deadlines Test Center Change by Mail, Phone, or Fax
October 2012: Test Details (Europe, Middle East, and Africa)

Test Center Change by Mail, Phone, or Fax September 7, 2012 (receipt deadline)
Test Center Change Online September 9, 2012 (11:59 pm ET)
Test Date Change by Mail, Phone, or Fax September 14, 2012 (receipt deadline)
Test Date Change Online September 16, 2012 (11:59 pm ET)
LSAT Registration Refunds (partial only) September 14, 2012 (receipt deadline)
Withdraw LSAT Registration - No Refund October 5, 2012 (11:59 pm ET)
Withdraw Sabbath LSAT Registration - No Refund October 9, 2012 (11:59 pm ET)

NOTE: There is an additional fee for test center changes and test date changes. If you wish to withdraw your test registration, you may do so. All LSAT refunds are partial only. See LSAT fees.


Given the month ahead, the deadlines to postpone or withdraw, the small amount of extra raw points needed to get from 165+ to 170+, the benefits of applying early with an October score, the benefit of having the option to re-take in December if your October score is not up to your full ability for whatever reason, because most T1 &T14 law schools mainly just consider your highest reported LSAT score, and because you are in study mode now hopefully with good momentum going, I think deciding now to push it back to the December administration would be a mistake.

At the very least, give it the roughly two weeks you have to decide in order to minimize extra LSAC registration fees if you postpone and possibly even give it to the night before the test if your honest timed practice test scores raise somewhat consistently into the 170 range in the next few weeks while keeping up intense and thorough study practice and review.

ilovelawtays wrote:...I read this post in an English accent.


I did too! :D




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], YHSCCN2020 and 3 guests