Oct, Dec, or both?

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Oct, Dec, or both?

Postby Ixiion » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:14 am

Firstly - I'm applying next cycle. (I graduate Fall 2013)

I've been studying intermittently for the LSAT since July. My original plan was to take the LSAT this October, but now I'm a bit unsure. I'm averaging 170-171 in PTs, though I really want a higher score. My target score is around 174. I've been at the same average for the last month+ and haven't yet broke 172.

I haven't yet registered for Oct, but I have to within the next couple days if I'm going to take it. SO:

Should I just keep studying and take the Oct test? Or should I keep studying and take the Dec test instead?
Or should I take Oct and keep studying, in case I need to take the Dec test?

My expected LSDAS GPA upon grad will be somewhere between a 3.8 and 3.9, and obviously I'm aiming for the best I can get. I'm worried about getting a poor score in Oct and then having to make up for it in Dec; I imagine that there would be even more pressure that way.

User avatar
ilovelawtays
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Oct, Dec, or both?

Postby ilovelawtays » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:42 am

What do your remaining semesters look like in terms of course load?
Are you totally married to the idea of applying next cycle?
Does graduating Fall 2013 mean in December 2013? (I went to a quarter system school, so I'm confused).

If I were you, I would take the test in June 2013, and again in October 2013, if I was not satisfied with June. I'd do this for a few reasons:
1. More time to study.
2. Summer off between June '13 and October '13 to review concepts if needed.
3. Knowing that I took the June '13 test with full confidence in my prep work.
4. If you decide not to apply until the Fall '14 cycle (big If, I know), you'd have time to study without also having to study for your regular classes. A year of work/volunteer experience might not be too shabby, either. Or just a year of not being in school... You'll never have as much free time as you do now. Enjoy it!

You're in a good spot in that there is really no reason to take the test now. Taking June '13 and/or Oct '13 will have no negative affect on your app cycle.

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: Oct, Dec, or both?

Postby Ixiion » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:58 am

ilovelawtays wrote:What do your remaining semesters look like in terms of course load?

17cr this semester, 16/17cr next semester (Spring '13), 15cr Fall '13.

Are you totally married to the idea of applying next cycle?

Yes.. I really can't take a year off. I'm already going to have an entire semester off as is, which is already worrying me. So, no, I'm not even considering applying in the 2014 cycle.

Does graduating Fall 2013 mean in December 2013? (I went to a quarter system school, so I'm confused).

Yep!

If I were you, I would take the test in June 2013, and again in October 2013, if I was not satisfied with June. I'd do this for a few reasons:
1. More time to study.
2. Summer off between June '13 and October '13 to review concepts if needed.
3. Knowing that I took the June '13 test with full confidence in my prep work.

You're in a good spot in that there is really no reason to take the test now. Taking June '13 and/or Oct '13 will have no negative affect on your app cycle.


Well, I know I don't want to take it Oct 2013, because that would be too late for ED applications. The reason I want to do it now anyway is to get a head start and get the LSAT out of my way, so I can focus on my classes and whatnot. I suppose I could do Feb + June, since I have an entire month off for winter vacation...
But considering that I've been studying for 2 full months already, don't you think that waiting so long to take it could end up resulting in total burnout, making me score even lower? Or are you suggesting I stop studying for now?

d0rklord
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: Oct, Dec, or both?

Postby d0rklord » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Ixiion wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:What do your remaining semesters look like in terms of course load?

17cr this semester, 16/17cr next semester (Spring '13), 15cr Fall '13.

Are you totally married to the idea of applying next cycle?

Yes.. I really can't take a year off. I'm already going to have an entire semester off as is, which is already worrying me. So, no, I'm not even considering applying in the 2014 cycle.

Does graduating Fall 2013 mean in December 2013? (I went to a quarter system school, so I'm confused).

Yep!

If I were you, I would take the test in June 2013, and again in October 2013, if I was not satisfied with June. I'd do this for a few reasons:
1. More time to study.
2. Summer off between June '13 and October '13 to review concepts if needed.
3. Knowing that I took the June '13 test with full confidence in my prep work.

You're in a good spot in that there is really no reason to take the test now. Taking June '13 and/or Oct '13 will have no negative affect on your app cycle.


Well, I know I don't want to take it Oct 2013, because that would be too late for ED applications. The reason I want to do it now anyway is to get a head start and get the LSAT out of my way, so I can focus on my classes and whatnot. I suppose I could do Feb + June, since I have an entire month off for winter vacation...
But considering that I've been studying for 2 full months already, don't you think that waiting so long to take it could end up resulting in total burnout, making me score even lower? Or are you suggesting I stop studying for now?


Most schools accept Oct for ED IIRC...

User avatar
ilovelawtays
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Oct, Dec, or both?

Postby ilovelawtays » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:31 pm

If you were to take June '13 and October '13, I'd stop studying until February/March. There's no reason to study for this test for an entire year, especially if you're already 170+.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, bcapace, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests