"What logically follows"

gettingerdone

"What logically follows"

Postby gettingerdone » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:58 am

Is a question asking "What logically follows from the stimulus above" asking what MBT or what is MSS? Thanks guys!

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:49 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TylerJonesMPLS

Re: "What logically follows"

Postby TylerJonesMPLS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I just read through the what-logically-follows questions listed below. All of them have conditionals and can be solved using formal conditional logic. I haven’t read through all the what-logically-follows questions, but I bet that they all conform to that pattern. I’m glad you asked the question. If you hadn’t I would never have noticed that these questions are formal conditional logic questions.

PT 2007 june .3 22 LR
PT 62.4.06 LR
PT 56.2.19 LR
PT 55.1.25 LR
PT 54.4.23 LR
PT 51.3.19 LR
PT 46.2.02 LR
PT 45.1.22 LR

gettingerdone

Postby gettingerdone » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:50 pm

TylerJonesMPLS wrote:I just read through the what-logically-follows questions listed below. All of them have conditionals and can be solved using formal conditional logic. I haven’t read through all the what-logically-follows questions, but I bet that they all conform to that pattern. I’m glad you asked the question. If you hadn’t I would never have noticed that these questions are formal conditional logic questions.

PT 2007 june .3 22 LR
PT 62.4.06 LR
PT 56.2.19 LR
PT 55.1.25 LR
PT 54.4.23 LR
PT 51.3.19 LR
PT 46.2.02 LR
PT 45.1.22 LR

Wow this is great, thanks for replying. Yeah I got the one on PT 54 wrong because I took the stem to be asking for more of a what logically completes the passage type quest, but it was a straight up inference answer.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:59 pm

gettingerdone wrote:Is a question asking "What logically follows from the stimulus above" asking what MBT or what is MSS? Thanks guys!
What logically follows is a type of question in which you take what was given to you in the stimulus and make an inference from that information that "must be true" (MBT). All the incorrect answers are "not necessarily true."

For a MSS question, the incorrect answers "cannot be true" and the correct answer "could be true" but "does not necessarily have to be true"

Read more here at the LSAT Blog.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
gettingerdone wrote:For a MSS question, the incorrect answers "cannot be true" and the correct answer "could be true" but "does not necessarily have to be true"

That is incorrect. MSS are by and large just MBT questions, although occasionally (very occasionally) the inference isn't 100% rock solid, but will be very close. Incorrect answers on MSS are just like incorrect answers on MBT questions... they could be true but there is simply no support for them.

What Steve is referring to in the blog post you referenced is that in a few MSS questions, there is reasonable support for the credited response, but not enough so that it MUST be true. However, the other answer choices will simply have zero support.

If you're having difficulty with MSS questoin type versus MBT, think of MSS as similar to an inference question for a reading comp passage. There is always direct support in the passage for the answer to any inference question, but the inference doesn't necessarily have to be true. The other answer choices though will never have support.

tronredo

Postby tronredo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:03 pm

MSS??????

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 pm

tronredo wrote:MSS??????

Most Strongly Supported

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

cahwc12 wrote:That is incorrect. MSS are by and large just MBT questions, although occasionally (very occasionally) the inference isn't 100% rock solid, but will be very close. Incorrect answers on MSS are just like incorrect answers on MBT questions... they could be true but there is simply no support for them.

What Steve is referring to in the blog post you referenced is that in a few MSS questions, there is reasonable support for the credited response, but not enough so that it MUST be true. However, the other answer choices will simply have zero support.

If you're having difficulty with MSS questoin type versus MBT, think of MSS as similar to an inference question for a reading comp passage. There is always direct support in the passage for the answer to any inference question, but the inference doesn't necessarily have to be true. The other answer choices though will never have support.

Exactly this.

The example we always use for MSS is that one friend you have who insists on top shelf liquor. "I only drink Grey Goose," they say, noses in the air, as you hand them a bottle of Kimnoff lite. After a year of this, you and your friends buy a bottle of Grey Goose and fill it with the cheapest stuff you can find. You give it to your friend, who mixes and drink and thanks you for the delicious, top shelf liquor while chugging it down.

It's most strongly supported that your friend is full of it and can't tell the difference between good and bad vodka. It doesn't have to be true, because maybe he's just sparing your feelings. But there's a lot of evidence that he's just full of it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”