December LSAT for splitter

Easy-E

December LSAT for splitter

Postby Easy-E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 am

Not sure if this would fall into this forum or law school admissions, but would a December LSAT be severely detrimental in terms of time frame for applying for 2013? I'm a pretty deep splitter, 3.1 GPA and a 169 LSAT that I would really like to bump over the 170 mark. I know October is what should be taking for the last LSAT attempt, but frankly I feel it's a bit late to start now, and I'm absolutely buried at work right now. The late fall/winter is much slower, and I'd be able to dedicate the time to the LSAT I know I need.

So, would applying for 2013 in late December be a bad idea for splitter? Assuming I get the score I want (>170), I still wouldn't be looking at $$$ from any T-14 I'd target, but would I just be making things more difficult for myself e.g. missing UVA ED.

d0rklord

Re: December LSAT for splitter

Postby d0rklord » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:29 am

emarxnj wrote:Not sure if this would fall into this forum or law school admissions, but would a December LSAT be severely detrimental in terms of time frame for applying for 2013? I'm a pretty deep splitter, 3.1 GPA and a 169 LSAT that I would really like to bump over the 170 mark. I know October is what should be taking for the last LSAT attempt, but frankly I feel it's a bit late to start now, and I'm absolutely buried at work right now. The late fall/winter is much slower, and I'd be able to dedicate the time to the LSAT I know I need.

So, would applying for 2013 in late December be a bad idea for splitter? Assuming I get the score I want (>170), I still wouldn't be looking at $$$ from any T-14 I'd target, but would I just be making things more difficult for myself e.g. missing UVA ED.

2nd this. I have a 3.07... I'm just looking for $$$ at someplace like Southwestern (nearby me, and I'm not super interested in BigLaw, would rather just be debt free)

I also plan to take Dec... Any help would be appreciated :D

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:36 am

emarxnj wrote:Not sure if this would fall into this forum or law school admissions, but would a December LSAT be severely detrimental in terms of time frame for applying for 2013? I'm a pretty deep splitter, 3.1 GPA and a 169 LSAT that I would really like to bump over the 170 mark. I know October is what should be taking for the last LSAT attempt, but frankly I feel it's a bit late to start now, and I'm absolutely buried at work right now. The late fall/winter is much slower, and I'd be able to dedicate the time to the LSAT I know I need.

What are you PTing now? The October test is approaching fast...

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:53 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Not sure if this would fall into this forum or law school admissions, but would a December LSAT be severely detrimental in terms of time frame for applying for 2013? I'm a pretty deep splitter, 3.1 GPA and a 169 LSAT that I would really like to bump over the 170 mark. I know October is what I should be taking for the last LSAT attempt, but frankly I feel it's a bit late to start now, and I'm absolutely buried at work right now. The late fall/winter is much slower, and I'd be able to dedicate the time to the LSAT I know I need.

I haven't studied a single thing since the June test. I agree that it's too late to start for October. So basically I'm deciding between just applying with my current score and tempering my expectations, or applying in December with a better score, but most likely hurting myself for applying later in the cycle.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 am

emarxnj wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Not sure if this would fall into this forum or law school admissions, but would a December LSAT be severely detrimental in terms of time frame for applying for 2013? I'm a pretty deep splitter, 3.1 GPA and a 169 LSAT that I would really like to bump over the 170 mark. I know October is what I should be taking for the last LSAT attempt, but frankly I feel it's a bit late to start now, and I'm absolutely buried at work right now. The late fall/winter is much slower, and I'd be able to dedicate the time to the LSAT I know I need.

I haven't studied a single thing since the June test. I agree that it's too late to start for October. So basically I'm deciding between just applying with my current score and tempering my expectations, or applying in December with a better score, but most likely hurting myself for applying later in the cycle.

With a 169 and a 3.1 you're probably going to get waitlisted everywhere worth going anyway. You could just use the December test to pull you off of waitlists, no?

Postby 05062014 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Can't you send in your application early and tell them to hold off on deciding until they see your retake?

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:07 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:With a 169 and a 3.1 you're probably going to get waitlisted everywhere worth going anyway. You could just use the December test to pull you off of waitlists, no?

abdistotle wrote:Can't you send in your application early and tell them to hold off on deciding until they see your retake?

I actually posted about this a few weeks back but never got a solid answer. So, lets say for example I did ED for UVA and they waitlist me. When I submit my new and improved (hopefully) LSAT score in December, my app wouldn't still be considered ED right?

Would the main purpose of doing this be to just to see what happens, see if I get lucky somewhere, and if I don't like my results, I can re-roll in December?

Postby 05062014 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

I can't answer your question, but as someone who is considering taking the lsat Dec 2012 if Oct 2012 does not go as planned, I would like more insight into this process as well

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:28 pm

abdistotle wrote:I can't answer your question, but as someone who is considering taking the lsat Dec 2012 if Oct 2012 does not go as planned, I would like more insight into this process as well

Seems like it's a decent insurance policy if the cycle doesn't go well early, or if you have waitlists you're fighting to get off. If you are outright rejected on the other hand, I'm not sure how that would work.

Postby 05062014 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 pm

emarxnj wrote:
abdistotle wrote:I can't answer your question, but as someone who is considering taking the lsat Dec 2012 if Oct 2012 does not go as planned, I would like more insight into this process as well

Seems like it's a decent insurance policy if the cycle doesn't go well early, or if you have waitlists you're fighting to get off. If you are outright rejected on the other hand, I'm not sure how that would work.

I have not really looked into it too much yet, but I thought I saw some discussions about telling law schools to hold their decision until you could send X (whatever part of your app is lacking or you want to provide a positive twist towards) in later.. if someone else can chime in with some wisdom on this that would be much appreciated...

I have also read that you can apply twice in the same cycle. If they hold your decision I don't know if it is still considered ED, but I would rather have them mull over my application for an extended period of time than send in my app later.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”