Any advice from those who underperformed on the June LSAT?

kaseyb002

Any advice from those who underperformed on the June LSAT?

Postby kaseyb002 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Why do you think you did worse on the real thing? Any advice to the rest of us that could help us avoid it?

Right now I am taking a proctored exam each Saturday with a local prep company. Would something like this have made it a lot easier for you? Or do you think you would have needed a lot more than just that to deal with game day jitters.

NoodleyOne

Re: Any advice from those who underperformed on the June LSAT?

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Taking a proctored exam will certainly help. I have to say though, game day jitters probably played a huge role in it. Also, do not, I repeat DO NOT talk to anyone before hand, or listen to their chatter. You're going to hear a lot of "I PTd at 160 so I'm sure I'll get into a great school" and shit like that. It makes you cocky and it's distracting. Be in your own little world. It's you and the test, and nothing else is important.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:00 am

Don't get to the site too early -- which is what I, mistakenly, did for June.

Watching people panic made me panic.
Overhearing their plans for HYS was a bit of comic relief, but not enough.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:08 am

Dont choke next time.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Here's a short list of things I think contributed to my june failings (~174 prep average, 168 on June):

1) I didn't warm up the way I normally do before prep tests. I tried to prep in my car before goign into the center and was just uncomfortable and said "oh well forget it." I got into the test center and didn't want to walk back outside to get my materials and felt awkward studying in a lobby with a bunch of other waiting students. When I retake in October, I am just going to bring warmup materials (1 game, 1 passage, half section of LR) with me to the center and do them there.

2) I took about 3 weeks almost completely off from mid-may through the first week of June. I felt so sure of myself and confident that I just got out of the habit of studying. The week before I got back into game mode, and I did feel ready for the test (and confident that the worst I could have done was around 170), but I clearly wasn't in the zone. Every LR question I missed was a hapless mistake.

3) I'm accustomed to having 5-7 minutes or more to double check my LG answers at the end of a section. I finished the june games in about 27 minutes, but spent all my time double checking one answer I wasn't sure on. It turns out this question had some kind of deficiency that caused it to be thrown out, and I ultimately missed an early question that I would undoubtedly have double checked if it hadn't been for that stupid other question. #17 seemed to me to require about 4 hypotheticals worth of brute force in order to solve.

4) I had a minor breakdown on the very first question. I read the LR question about 8 times, and then ultimately decided I just had to move on or I'd run out of time and screw myself over. I rocketed through the rest of the questions but missed the question immediately before and after that first one, which I partially credit to that. As to the reasons for my minor breakdown, I think it had something to do with not knowing how badly I could really do. Now that I have a 168 under my belt, which is NOT a terrible score, I think this isn't going to happen again. Even if I do terribly, have to cancel, whatever... my floor is now 168.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:17 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Here's a short list of things I think contributed to my june failings (~174 prep average, 168 on June):

1) I didn't warm up the way I normally do before prep tests. I tried to prep in my car before goign into the center and was just uncomfortable and said "oh well forget it." I got into the test center and didn't want to walk back outside to get my materials and felt awkward studying in a lobby with a bunch of other waiting students. When I retake in October, I am just going to bring warmup materials (1 game, 1 passage, half section of LR) with me to the center and do them there.

2) I took about 3 weeks almost completely off from mid-may through the first week of June. I felt so sure of myself and confident that I just got out of the habit of studying. The week before I got back into game mode, and I did feel ready for the test (and confident that the worst I could have done was around 170), but I clearly wasn't in the zone. Every LR question I missed was a hapless mistake.

3) I'm accustomed to having 5-7 minutes or more to double check my LG answers at the end of a section. I finished the june games in about 27 minutes, but spent all my time double checking one answer I wasn't sure on. It turns out this question had some kind of deficiency that caused it to be thrown out, and I ultimately missed an early question that I would undoubtedly have double checked if it hadn't been for that stupid other question. #17 seemed to me to require about 4 hypotheticals worth of brute force in order to solve.

4) I had a minor breakdown on the very first question. I read the LR question about 8 times, and then ultimately decided I just had to move on or I'd run out of time and screw myself over. I rocketed through the rest of the questions but missed the question immediately before and after that first one, which I partially credit to that. As to the reasons for my minor breakdown, I think it had something to do with not knowing how badly I could really do. Now that I have a 168 under my belt, which is NOT a terrible score, I think this isn't going to happen again. Even if I do terribly, have to cancel, whatever... my floor is now 168.

How did you miss the question immediately before the very first question? lol

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:29 pm

I missed the question following it (#2) and then since I skipped over the question, I did it last.. so I also missed the last question in the section (#25 I think).

cgw

Postby cgw » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:09 am

I think proctored exams would have helped a ton. I took a free one with Kaplan as a diagnostic before I started to study, but I don't think there's anything like that in my area. My main problem test day was anxiety and not feeling like I prepared enough. I'm hoping just spending more time will help with it for Oct, but I'm not sure it will be enough to combat the jitters.

Besides study more, the only thing I wish I had done differently was wear a hoodie. Half the people at my test had them on and I was bitter.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 am

kaseyb002 wrote:Why do you think you did worse on the real thing? Any advice to the rest of us that could help us avoid it?

Right now I am taking a proctored exam each Saturday with a local prep company. Would something like this have made it a lot easier for you? Or do you think you would have needed a lot more than just that to deal with game day jitters.

Taking an exam every week is great, but if you don't examine WHY you answered each question the way you did (even TCR) then you may not see the improvements you are hoping to see.

I wish I would have registered earlier, hence securing a closer testing location. I also wish I would have listened to my gut more when studying....There are a ton of people here who will tell you self-studying is possible for a top score (and for some people, it is). But I needed some "hand-holding" due to my schedule and other commitments, so this time I signed up for Velocity. I needed reviews and lessons in an audio/visual format, on my own timetable.

HTH--and good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”