To drink or not to drink...

Darienk

To drink or not to drink...

Postby Darienk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Prepping for the October test, and have stopped drinking for all of August. Good or bad idea to continue my sobriety throughout September? What are some of your thoughts on this?

guinness1547

Re: To drink or not to drink...

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Personal preference. I did it for one LSAT and did okay. I drank throughout my studying season for my second LSAT and did better.

Triveal

Postby Triveal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:36 pm

is your drinking problematic? If it's just going out with friends a couple nights a week there's really no problem with that. If it's interfering with studying then yeah maybe you should.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Well how about a home-made LSAT question/answer to your question:

Drinking makes some people happier. People that are happier are usually less stressed. When some people are less stressed they perform better on several different activities. Yet, many reporters claim that drinking can cause people to process information slower than normal. Also, many have reported that they scored high on the LSAT while drinking throughout their studies.

Which one of the following is most supported by the information above?

(A) Reporters make little effort to drink while studying.
(B) Some people who drink while studying for the LSAT have their scores higher than the ones who don't.
(C) Drinking can make people happier and less stressed. Therefore, people who take the LSAT drink more.
(D) Some people who drink can still score high on the LSAT.
(E) Usually, reporters disagree that people who drink can take information faster than normal.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I tend to not get much studying done, if any, immediately following consumption a moderately high amount of alcohol. I also don't enjoy doing questions while drinking, although being intoxicated or not doesn't seem to slow my comprehension in reviewing questions.

I tend to drink once a week or less socially.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:06 pm

I enjoy a drink while I review. It's a nice stress reliever for me. This is all personal preference though. And if you're the type that can't control yourself, don't drink until around noon on October 6.

Darienk

Postby Darienk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:44 pm

Nope don't have a drinking problem, just a social drinker and didn't want it to affect my studying. I was drinking throughout July and did fine. Just wanted everyone's thoughts

Darienk

Postby Darienk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:51 pm

relevantfactor wrote:Well how about a home-made LSAT question/answer to your question:

Drinking makes some people happier. People that are happier are usually less stressed. When some people are less stressed they perform better on several different activities. Yet, many reporters claim that drinking can cause people to process information slower than normal. Also, many have reported that they scored high on the LSAT while drinking throughout their studies.

(B) Some people who drink while studying for the LSAT have their scores higher than the ones who don't.
(C) Drinking can make people happier and less stressed. Therefore, people who take the LSAT drink more.
(E) Usually, reporters disagree that people who drink can take information faster than normal.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Drink, especially if you can't get the LSAT off your mind for more than two minutes. It's a great feeling to forget that the exam exists for an hour (for me exercise and alcohol were the only escapes). On this point, exercise is an even better escape and if you don't work out, now's a great time to start.

Darienk

Postby Darienk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:02 pm

gavinstevens wrote:Drink, especially if you can't get the LSAT off your mind for more than two minutes. It's a great feeling to forget that the exam exists for an hour (for me exercise and alcohol were the only escapes). On this point, exercise is an even better escape and if you don't work out, now's a great time to start.

I workout 4-6 times a week (cardio, weights, sports, etc). I'm a pretty active person, but even in the gym I find myself thinking about the LSAT in between workout songs lol

The LSAT is a productive escape from reality, but when I get back to reality it never escapes me.

gavinstevens

Postby gavinstevens » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Darienk wrote:
gavinstevens wrote:Drink, especially if you can't get the LSAT off your mind for more than two minutes. It's a great feeling to forget that the exam exists for an hour (for me exercise and alcohol were the only escapes). On this point, exercise is an even better escape and if you don't work out, now's a great time to start.

I workout 4-6 times a week (cardio, weights, sports, etc). I'm a pretty active person, but even in the gym I find myself thinking about the LSAT in between workout songs lol

The LSAT is a productive escape from reality, but when I get back to reality it never escapes me.

Glad to hear you're already exercising. That helped me more than anything.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I drank a healthy amount (around 4 beers) the night before my highest score. I think being in a fun, good mood that night helped me out.

relevantfactor

Postby relevantfactor » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Darienk wrote:
relevantfactor wrote:Well how about a home-made LSAT question/answer to your question:

Postby 05062014 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I have not taken a sip of alcohol since mid June. I credit my progress thus far to sobriety combined with intense exercise. Alcohol limited my gains mentally and physically (alcohol = estrogenic). My mind and body have never been sharper. I turned 21 in early august, and being a NY resident, this gave me the legal right to drink. I almost did but I am glad I did not.

I actually do see some benefit to letting loose during lsat prep. For me, however, my lsat progress thus far could not really be going any better and I saw no reason to jeopardize that for a few laughs and beers right now.

I plan to have fun after the lsat is over, no doubt about that.

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm

I "gave up drinking" during LSAT prep, but by the end I was only refraining on nights before PTs. I did fine.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm drinking my (last) Stone 16th Anniversary IPA right now...

Fuck no I can't go that long without beer. It's too good.

Funkycrime

Postby Funkycrime » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:23 pm

I plan on crushing a bottle of Jager the night before the October test.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:45 pm

Funkycrime wrote:I plan on crushing a bottle of Jager the night before the October test.

That's just fucking gross.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Ohmygod I need to start saving up money for my bar tab the night after the LSAT.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Just throw a house party and tell you friends to bring shit. That's what I'm doing.

Postby 071816 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:02 am

Giving up drinking is for pussies.

Funkycrime

Postby Funkycrime » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:24 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Funkycrime wrote:I plan on crushing a bottle of Jager the night before the October test.

That's just fucking gross.

Sacrifices must be made in order to maximize performance.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:47 pm

I go out about 3 times a week, but those are always nights not before one of my morning practice tests (3 of those each week). Even if I'm not hungover, my mind just can't focus. And I do think if you are a drinker you shouldn't give it up. If anything, it's a way to wind down and indeed forget about the test. I owe my work hard play hard mentality to my sanity while prepping for this test.

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 pm

But what about the bigger problem, when you can't even get your mind off the LSAT during sleep? Seriously. I toss and turn over imaginary problems that I generated in my head. The effects on my progress have been inconclusive.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:45 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Just throw a house party and tell you friends to bring shit. That's what I'm doing.

This.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”