tips for making pts more realistic

eddie3636

tips for making pts more realistic

Postby eddie3636 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I have trouble not taking a couple minute break in between sections to walk around, stretch etc., also when I get really frustrated with a question ill pause the timer and take a few deep breaths or something along those lines. Any suggestions on how to limit this? Obviously I know the easy answer is just don't do it, but is there any mental tricks or anything that you guys use to help?

Thanks

LittleTree

Re: tips for making pts more realistic

Postby LittleTree » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:30 pm

I have the same problem.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 pm

I can understand taking a few minutes break inbetween sections but be verryyyy careful about pausing the timer to breathe and thinking about the question. This could be detrimental to you test day. You need to increase your stamina. I would suggest drilling questions in a row (about 10 or so) without stopping. Then gradually drill 15 in a row, then 20, until it's a full section.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:I can understand taking a few minutes break inbetween sections but be verryyyy careful about pausing the timer to breathe and thinking about the question. This could be detrimental to you test day. You need to increase your stamina. I would suggest drilling questions in a row (about 10 or so) without stopping. Then gradually drill 15 in a row, then 20, until it's a full section.

This. There's going to be times you want to pause at the LSAT most likely, too bad Proctors aren't that nice.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:I can understand taking a few minutes break inbetween sections but be verryyyy careful about pausing the timer to breathe and thinking about the question. This could be detrimental to you test day. You need to increase your stamina. I would suggest drilling questions in a row (about 10 or so) without stopping. Then gradually drill 15 in a row, then 20, until it's a full section.

I agree with the above. I had to actually take untimed tests sitting at the same desk/table until I was done with Section 3 to build my endurance, before allowing myself to walk around for 10-15 minutes. Then I started to time myself when doing single sections before I moved on to timed PTs.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 pm

I used to take the test strictly timed (5x 35min sections with a short break after #3) in the morning followed by an afternoon where I would go through the exact same test very leisurely. However, I wouldn't grade the first run-through until after I'd done the second. That way I didn't feel the urge to obsess over a question because I'd have ample time later to figure out the principles and rules needed to solve it.

Other than that - just had to discipline myself not to pause.

flops89

Postby flops89 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 pm

I would always take long breaks between ptest sections to pee or whatnot. The way I got over this was to start using a virtual proctor. You can find many of these online for free and pick whichever you prefer. This way there's at least some independent thing timing you.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:12 am

flops89 wrote:I would always take long breaks between ptest sections to pee or whatnot. The way I got over this was to start using a virtual proctor. You can find many of these online for free and pick whichever you prefer. This way there's at least some independent thing timing you.

Virtual proctoring is the way to go. I like to do 4-section tests without a break of any kind, and Powerscore's virtual proctor does this perfectly.

I think taking breaks, even small ones, is an awful habit to get in. You might do worse if you do 4 sections straight through while PTing, but then you'll have an edge on test day when you get the break after section 3.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”